RHP Prose 2009 VOTING THREAD

RHP Prose 2009 VOTING THREAD

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
21 May 09

Congratulations, Bosse de Nage and Gatecrasher! I correctly guessed the author of "Midnight Special", but had no idea who might have written "Unleashed". It was my clear favourite in this competition, very well done!

I was surprised that my own entry did so well. I expected to make the second-last place, as is my wont. Thanks to everybody who voted for me! And a big thanks to catfoodtim for running the competition and giving me an interesting topic! You guys are probably right about the last sentence of my entry, although I still don't hate it as much as most of you seem to do. I like the idea of making his dead body the last piece.

BdN: "I'm sure you'll agree that I'm not being condescending when I say that it's gobsmackingly impressive that 'Bits and Pieces' was written by someone for whom English is a second or third language."

Thanks. However, the truth is that I would fail miserably if I'd attempt to write prose in my second or third language. 😉

Sunburnt: "I'm surprised by Nordlys entry. It was more emotional than I thought was her style."

Interesting. I don't consider it to be very emotional at all. And my entry in the last prose competition was far more emotional.

M

Moves
21 May 09

Originally posted by Nordlys
Congratulations, Bosse de Nage and Gatecrasher! I correctly guessed the author of "Midnight Special", but had no idea who might have written "Unleashed". It was my clear favourite in this competition, very well done!

I was surprised that my own entry did so well. I expected to make the second-last place, as is my wont. Thanks to everybody who voted for me ...[text shortened]... all. And my entry in the last prose competition was [b]far
more emotional.[/b]
I didn't find it all that emotional either. Actually, when I first read it, I immediately thought of you and suspected you might be the writer. 🙂 It rings truer than your entry in the last comp so that's probably why it placed better. I enjoyed it very much (except that last sentence 😉 ).

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by rbmorris
Congrats to the winners! Great job everyone.

Mine was "The Interview". I didn't expect everyone to pick up on the Abraham Lincoln reference, but he just sort of worked with the idea I had running around in my head (originally, I'd planned on using John Lennon). Lincoln supposedly had a dream about his own assassination right before it happened.

Th ...[text shortened]... nks for reading. Thanks to the judges for putting this together. It was a lot of fun.
That's when I got it (when Mary reminded him)! 🙂

S
🙏🏻

Some other realm

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by Nordlys

I was surprised that my own entry did so well. I expected to make the second-last place, as is my wont. Thanks to everybody who voted for me ...[text shortened]... all. And my entry in the last prose competition was [b]far
more emotional.[/b]
I need to read your last entry. I can't remember now.

I don't know...I guess I found the story emotional in it's meaning. I just didn't think it was yours. I guess I don't know you at all :'(.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Gatecrasher

Unleashed was (highly) edited from a scene from an unfinished novel (doesn't everyone have one?). I was surprised how well it did, and also at the uncannily astute comments that some have made. In short: A violent incident has robbed our hero of his entire family, an event that plunges him into an almost catatonic state. The mental transformation that ...[text shortened]... egain control of his life, but ultimately launches him on a disastrous and pathological course.
It was an almost text-book description, which is why I admired it.

I underrated Slime, I think, although there my interest was more in the clever Iain M. Banks type form than the content, which I think I'm kidding myself if I pretend to understand.

Incidentally, I also wrote 'Return Journey'.

z
Thread Killing Chimp

In your retina!:D

Moves
22 May 09

so who made Entertaining Saint Jude?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by zozozozo
so who made Entertaining Saint Jude?
mimor

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Yeah, I just didn't get that, which is reflected in my criticism. It is quite hard to be both subtle and clear.

Thanks to those who commented on and/or voted for my entries:

Slime was written from scratch for the competition. I think the lack of originality (flushable content!) in the premise was a point well made by critics. It didn't make the to ...[text shortened]... disastrous and pathological course.

It was good fun. Thanks to catfoodtim for organising.
No real offense intended with my 'flushable content' comment. I did think you had potential with it, but, the theme seemed to familiar to vote for.

I really liked Unleashed. Curious if you've ever read Berkekey? I liked the feel of impending violence you left off with.

Rather obviously, I wrote The Hungry Hand of God. I was actually going for a similar feel of impending doom, but, did it in a far less adept way than you achieved.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the writing and reading of all entries.

Keep writing, finish that novel.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Curious if you've ever read Berkekey? I liked the feel of impending violence you left off with.

Keep writing, finish that novel.
Well, I really enjoyed the tension you created in Hungry Hand of God.

I've never read Berkeley. I had to swot up on Wikipedia to find out who he was. But yeah, that philosophy does seem to sum up how the character in the piece comes to view his world.

I took early retirement in December and moved to the seaside, so in between fishing and chess, I might just keep on writing.

Thanks for entertaining us.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
24 May 09

No other comments? I'd like to see this competition end with more of a bang than a whimper. I'm still interested in who the other authors were.

Perhaps CFTim can provide an title/author list.

h

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
No other comments? I'd like to see this competition end with more of a bang than a whimper. I'm still interested in who the other authors were.

Perhaps CFTim can provide an title/author list.
I couldn't agree more. I'd also like to see who the other entrants are.

FYI, if you haven't been paying attention, the competition is not over... a special panel of judges was created for the competition at its inception, and this panel will also be giving a special awards presentation. We are currently deliberating, it shouldn't be too much longer.

Moves
24 May 09
1 edit

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
25 May 09

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Yeah... my name was in it...

Congrads BDN!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 May 09

The post that was quoted here has been removed
i might need to explain as perhaps it didn't come across great in forums.

It was my first attempt at the Prose and i thought i would try something different using different song titles into the piece of work. Some of it was literal translations so maybe didnt come across well.

I really enjoyed reading the other enteries and feel a little ashamed that mine was awful in comparison lol

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by Silverstriker
i might need to explain as perhaps it didn't come across great in forums.

It was my first attempt at the Prose and i thought i would try something different using different song titles into the piece of work. Some of it was literal translations so maybe didnt come across well.

I really enjoyed reading the other enteries and feel a little ashamed that mine was awful in comparison lol
It read like the ramblings of a pop-crazed lunatic! Too avant-garde! Remember, you are dealing with Philistines at RHP.

Don't worry, you got a vote.