1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 15:042 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    M83 comes to mind, but these things are hard to predict. I think most of the indie rock bands will be forgotten soon.
    Sadly I would have to agree, save for a few exceptions like Animal Collective, Spoon, etc.

Even looking at what rock bands defined the 90s, I would have thought bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine would influence more artists than they do now.

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and MTV were saturated with hook-heavy R&B and pop while the internet was saturated with fringe and independent acts popular only within a set of young gormandizers.

I don't think there will be one band from this decade that people can look at and say - this is what the 00's were about. Arguably, this decade has been about the changes in medium and not the message itself. But it could be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 15:47
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Sadly I would have to agree, save for a few exceptions like Animal Collective, Spoon, etc.

Even looking at what rock bands defined the 90s, I would have thought bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine would influence more artists than they do now.

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and M ...[text shortened]... be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.
    you're right . At least rock hasn't died yet
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 16:05
    M83 comes to mind, but these things are hard to predict. I think most of the indie rock bands will be forgotten soon.
    Why M83?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 16:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why M83?
    They are quite popular and it seems the shoegaze revival will carry on until at least the next decade.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 16:35
    They are quite popular and it seems the shoegaze revival will carry on until at least the next decade.
    I rarely heard them on the radio or bars, but they seem popular in the film industry. That goes a long way, so you may have a point. I'd be surprised though.
  6. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 17:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Are Primus still together?
    Yep. I think so. I saw them live a couple years ago.
  7. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 17:49
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Yep. I think so. I saw them live a couple years ago.
    Ah, Primus. Dr. Scribbles' sex music of choice.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 17:54
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Ha, he's Tommy the Cat, I presume...
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 18:01
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I totally remember that thread.
  10. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 01:01
    I totally remember that thread.
    Yeah, I haven't listened to Primus since he posted that.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 02:081 edit
    I have Live 8 tentatively in my Number One spot. 😉

Also,

Bali Bombings
    Mumbai Bombings
    The 2004 Tsunami
    First Black US President
    The Fall of Saddam Hussein
    The Economic Rise of China and India
    The Hijacking of the Taj Mahal
    Hurricane Katrina
    Wasn't there some bigass earthquake in Turkey or Japan this decade? Or maybe that was the 90s....No--it was in Italy!
  12. Germany
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 09:08
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Wasn't there some bigass earthquake in Turkey or Japan this decade? Or maybe that was the 90s....No--it was in Italy!
    There was a bigger one in China.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 15:48

This has been a decade of saturation. Mainstream radio and M ...[text shortened]... be argued that this change in medium has altered the landscape of the music business forever.
    Like Alan Cross says, I think we're due for a reversal of the pop domination that we're in right now. Modern Music style tends to follow the economy (according to cross)...

80's economy was roaring and materialistic----80's music was poppy and shallow

90's marked by recession in early 90's, hard times---90's music was darker, anger/angst

00's economy turned around --00's-08 returned to poppy happy sounds

09-future economy bottoms out ---09-future music returns to dark and angry?
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 15:51
    Originally posted by uzless
    Like Alan Cross says, I think we're due for a reversal of the pop domination that we're in right now. Modern Music style tends to follow the economy (according to cross)...

80's economy was roaring and materialistic----80's music was poppy and shallow

90's marked by recession in early 90's, hard times---90's music was darker, anger/angst

00's econo ...[text shortened]... sounds

09-future economy bottoms out ---09-future music returns to dark and angry?
    Hm, interesting.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 16:32
    Hm, interesting.
    Please. The 80's were filled with dark music. The 90s saw the explosion of happy boy bands and Spice Girls clones, etc.

You have all types of music at all times. Uzless just likes soundbytes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree