1. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 02:23
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yes!

I want to take a dive into it. What do you recommend?
    I have been a huge Ellroy fan. His first decent novel was The Black Dahlia. His next "The Big Nowhere" was a huge step up, it's sequel "L.A. Confidential" is better known because of the movie. The "sequel" to that, White Jazz" was probably the culmination of his writing style. I wouldn't start with Jazz w/o reading the other 2 first. It would be difficult to get a handle on the style. These 4 novels are commonly refered to as the "LA Quartet" among his fans. American Tabloid was good but it took me forever to get through his last "The Cold Six Thousand" which is a direct sequel to Tabloid. I thought his style went around the bend in that one. I'll read his next novel anyway though. Some may think his style is "gimmicky" but the same could be said of Cormac McCarthy.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 07:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Best Portuguese book EVAH!~
    Not the Lusiads?!
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:13
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Not the Lusiads?!
    The Lusiads may be more emblematic and impressive due to the sheer amount of work that went into it, but it's a book that I take little pleasure in reading. High-school trauma perhaps?

Do you like it?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:36
    The Lusiads may be more emblematic and impressive due to the sheer amount of work that went into it, but it's a book that I take little pleasure in reading. High-school trauma perhaps?

Do you like it?
    I shy away from monumental tomes of verse.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    By the way, I don't know if you saw my post but I found a copy of "Hopscotch", which you recommended, at my local bookstore and bought it for the discount price of $8.

I haven't dove into it yet but I read the first few, I guess introductory pages they were, and it sounds incredible. It's next on the list!
    HA! Mark my words: You will fall in love with it.

There are 2 ways to read it: From point A to point Z, or following the chapter map Cortázar provides. Read it from A to Z first.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 09:42
    Best Portuguese book EVAH!~
    Good to know that, before the day I die, I've enjoyed the 2 best things made in Portugal: The Book and Disquiet and watching Cristiano Ronaldo play football.

😵
  7. Big D
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 11:35
    Originally posted by Buzz Meeks
    I have been a huge Ellroy fan. His first decent novel was The Black Dahlia. His next "The Big Nowhere" was a huge step up, it's sequel "L.A. Confidential" is better known because of the movie. The "sequel" to that, White Jazz" was probably the culmination of his writing style. I wouldn't start with Jazz w/o reading the other 2 first. It would be difficult ...[text shortened]... may think his style is "gimmicky" but the same could be said of Cormac McCarthy.
    I'll tell you my James Ellroy story: He was living in Kansas City when I met him about 10 years ago. The film version of LA Confidential had been out for a while and was very successful here in the states, launching the careers of Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce as a result. Ellroy, while pleased with the success of the film, was disappointed that it did little for the sales of his book. One day, he was in his local Blockbuster store -- where all the clerks knew him -- and a little gray-haired lady was returning a copy of LA Confidential. The clerk told her that the man behind her was the author of the book that the film was based upon. She turned around and introduced herself and then said: I just loved this film. Upon which Ellroy said: Have you read my book? She said: Why no, I don't read much. Ellory then said: Well you can go hell.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 11:49
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I'll tell you my James Ellroy story: He was living in Kansas City when I met him about 10 years ago. The film version of LA Confidential had been out for a while and was very successful here in the states, launching the careers of Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce as a result. Ellroy, while pleased with the success of the film, was disappointed that i ...[text shortened]... you read my book? She said: Why no, I don't read much. Ellory then said: Well you can go hell.
    I don't recall if 10 years ago mobiles had cameras, but it would have been gold to have that on youtube!
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:00
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is there any point to classifying the work of Nobel Laureate Jose Saramago?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Saramago
    I'd probably classify it under S for Shyte?

(admittedly, I only read half of All the Names at a pretty stressful time of my life)

D
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:07
    Originally posted by Seitse
    What do you think about Breaking the Waves?

It pretty much placed Dogma on the spotlight. Well, part of the spotlight.
    Couldn't watch it all. Waaaay too disturbing.

Dancer in the Dark was much better. In fact, I didn't realise they were part of the same trilogy. I'll have to check out Idiots.

D
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 16:39
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'll have to check out Idiots.

D
    Don't bother. It's terrible.
  12. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 17:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I like a bunch of American authors: Don DeLillo, Thomas Pynchon, Cormac McCarthy, Paul Auster, Chuck Palahniuk.

These guys are all rather well-known, no? Are you just implying that they are not as good as Wallace?
    No, I was making a vapid hipsteresque catch-all statement with dramatic effect and no content at all. I also think those authors are really good, except maybe for Auster (I don't know, I've not read any).

(Which is not to say that "Infinite Jest" isn't so much better than, say, "Choke" that the fact that they are both "literature" makes that word pretty much too broad to use.)
  13. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 01:51
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I'll tell you my James Ellroy story: -- and a little gray-haired lady was returning a copy of LA Confidential. The clerk told her that the man behind her was the author of the book that the film was based upon. She turned around and introduced herself and then said: I just loved this film. Upon which Ellroy said: Have you read my book? She said: Why no, I don't read much. Ellory then said: Well you can go hell.
    That sounds like Ellroy. Priceless. After reading "My Dark Places" you have to wonder what he's really like.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 09:21
    So Le Clezio got the prize. Can't say I've ever read him -- have you?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Oct '08 09:22
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'd probably classify it under S for Shyte?

(admittedly, I only read half of All the Names at a pretty stressful time of my life)

D
    The one book I've read is very good, comparable to Michael Moorcock's Pyat sequence (high praise).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree