28 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 04:05
    yeah... its a tuff one
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 04:26
    Originally posted by umba
    this was in a crossword and i couldnt figure it out(its probably obvious), the cousin of a guitar-3 letters
    OMG, just out of curiousity I thought I'd google "cousin of a guitar." Want to know what I got? (OK, you probably don't, but that's not going to stop me.) The very first link was about ... Cousin Couples! 😲😛 Here I had been going through life happily oblivious to a whole subculture ...

Still haven't found out the crossword answer yet though.
  3. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 04:26
    I am a music teacher and a professional horn player. Since college I have played in concert on trumpet, tuba, trombone, euphonium, clarinet, percussion (including drumset and timpani), guitar, and bass guitar (although not all at once). I took classes to learn the rest of the woodwind family well enough to teach. I also studied the string family, although I wouldn't try to play these in public. I did somehow manage to pass my piano proficiency test in college but I rarely play now. I know how to play mandolin, banjo, accordion, and ukulele, but really need to practice. I also studied voice and sing quite regularly. I'm not too shabby at whistling in the dark.

np
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 04:28
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_string_instruments

This is better
  5. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 06:04
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    I am a music teacher and a professional horn player. Since college I have played in concert on trumpet, tuba, trombone, euphonium, clarinet, percussion (including drumset and timpani), guitar, and bass guitar (although not all at once). I took classes to learn the rest of the woodwind family well enough to teach. I also studied the string family, altho ...[text shortened]... so studied voice and sing quite regularly. I'm not too shabby at whistling in the dark.

np
    Jeeez thats nutin.... I can tie my shoes.... 😕

now if you could do all that at once... then maybe you'd bee impressive....😛

On a more serious note.... thats an impressive list, a lot of my friends are professional musicians(layabouts with talent). I personally have the musical talent of a particularly talentless brick.... Although I do know a bit about music and such.....
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 15:20
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    I am a music teacher and a professional horn player. Since college I have played in concert on trumpet, tuba, trombone, euphonium, clarinet, percussion (including drumset and timpani), guitar, and bass guitar (although not all at once). I took classes to learn the rest of the woodwind family well enough to teach. I also studied the string family, altho ...[text shortened]... so studied voice and sing quite regularly. I'm not too shabby at whistling in the dark.

np
    wow
    you break all records... congratulations.
  7. Club 64
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 16:28
    Originally posted by serigado
    you played mandolin? cool! 🙂
    what kind of music did you play? I play mandola (tuned , but sometimes I try the mandolin, too.
    Pretty much whatever I felt like. I started playing because I found out that the strings were the same as those from a violin, only each string had a duplicate. I could play a little bluegrass. That was probably my favorite type of music for the mandolin.

What music do you like to play on the mandola?
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:08
    Originally posted by Ironstar
    Pretty much whatever I felt like. I started playing because I found out that the strings were the same as those from a violin, only each string had a duplicate. I could play a little bluegrass. That was probably my favorite type of music for the mandolin.

What music do you like to play on the mandola?
    double chords and frets! 🙂
    I play traditional portuguese songs, and whatever violin scores I can get my hands on. At present, I'm fighting with Monti's Czardas, "Brasileirinho", and "Carrossel 8" by Júlio Pereira: YouTube

i'm happy to play them at half the tempo, now 😀

and Faro Luso (someday... too complex...) 🙂
    YouTube&feature=related

the technique is a little more complicated because the mandola is bigger than the mandolin, but i'm getting it.

Do you have any favorites?
  9. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:12
    I'm a horn player, playing in symphony orchestras for more than 40 years.

"The horn, the horn, the lusty horn,
    Is not a thing to laugh to scorn."
    – Wm. Shakespeare, 1564-1616
    (As You Like It: Act IV, Sc. 2)

Creativity is God's gift to you; what you do with it is your gift to God.
  10. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 20:11
    I've given my life to the Jaw Harp

YouTube&NR=1

granny.
  11. Gangster Land
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 21:03
    I have been playing the violin for about 20 years. I have played for a number of different orchestras...never quite made concert master though.
  12. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 23:06
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    I have been playing the violin for about 20 years. I have played for a number of different orchestras...never quite made concert master though.
    I've played for ... six months?
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 23:56
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I've played for ... six months?
    I've played for... six days...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 01:58
    I play everything I played as a child, piano and accordian, but since then added guitar, mandolin, banjo, lap dulcimer, concertina, fiddle.
    You can hear some of my compositions at myspace.com/donjenningsguitar.
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:03
    I played viola for about ten years from third grade on. I was pretty good. I don't play much these days, though I still like to get it out every now and again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree