1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:46
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Classical guitar. Here is a short video of my teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABTlviLRQCk
    Get out. She's hot!
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:49
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Get out. She's hot!
    That's how we roll in the BWA.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:52
    That's how we roll in the BWA.
    C'mon now. Shame the devil and tell the truth. She's not your teacher.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:53
    Originally posted by Badwater
    All stringed instruments.
    ALL of them? That's quite a feat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_string_instruments
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:01
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    ALL of them? That's quite a feat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_string_instruments
    If you put a Yehu, Cuatro, or whatever in front of me I can play it. One at a time, of course...
  6. The sky
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:12
    If you put a Yehu, Cuatro, or whatever in front of me I can play it. One at a time, of course...
    Define "can play".
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:40
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Or what instrument did you play as a child but don't any more? Or what have you dabbled with? Or ... etc.
    I play guitar, prett darn well actually 😀
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 19:42
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Define "can play".
    Tell you what - the next time you're in Oregon you can just drop by my shop with the stringed instrument of your choice and I'll play it, ok?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:00
    I play the Kazoo and the shakers.

I can also whistle.

D
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:59
    Hairy Banjo 😛
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 00:54
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    C'mon now. Shame the devil and tell the truth. She's not your teacher.
    I'm a reverend and would not lie. Actually she's very hard to get a lesson with as she travels all the time. She lives in Baltimore and recently did a concert in Knoxville. I asked to be part of the master class the next day, but was told it was full but I could get a private lesson with her. Mind you, this was like Curley of the Three Stooges getting a piano lesson from Horowitz. Anyway, she is extremely nice and unpretentious. She focused on my technique and timing. I don't have a lot of musical theory, but dammit, when you get a teacher like this you want to learn quickly. You aim to please.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 05:20
    I'm a reverend and would not lie. Actually she's very hard to get a lesson with as she travels all the time. She lives in Baltimore and recently did a concert in Knoxville. I asked to be part of the master class the next day, but was told it was full but I could get a private lesson with her. Mind you, this was like Curley of the Three Stooges getting ...[text shortened]... , but dammit, when you get a teacher like this you want to learn quickly. You aim to please.
    If you study with her, maybe you'll graduate to being like Chico in the Marx Brothers...
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 05:28
    Tell you what - the next time you're in Oregon you can just drop by my shop with the stringed instrument of your choice and I'll play it, ok?
    Don't be short. It does seem improbable that someone could play every string instrument
    because it would demand a reasonably competency (if not fluency) in a number of disparate
    musical styles. That is, it's certainly believable that you would play all the members of the viol
    family with a certain degree of fluency, but to add the Chinese diyingehu, the Indian sitar, and
    the African goje (and their respective repertories) seems a bit extraordinary a claim.

Heck, I know proficient violoncellists who sound pretty mediocre on the viol di gamba.

So, maybe you might clarify your expertise, because it seems pretty vague the way you've stated it.

Or maybe you are claiming to have the highly improbable broad experience with the musics of
    other cultures that would be required to play the indigenous string instruments of non-Western
    people. As a professional musician myself, knowing the investment it takes to play an instrument
    and its repertory fluently, I would have difficulty believing that claim. That having been said,
    there exist geniuses who can do this, and maybe you're one of them.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree