1. The Hague
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 20:43
    Pretty boring... played piano since I was 7. Continued through primary and secondary school, studying it at the conservatoire, hoping to do my final exam in June. That's about it.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 01:41
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Or what instrument did you play as a child but don't any more? Or what have you dabbled with? Or ... etc.
    the skin flute
  3. USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 03:21
    Electric Guitar
  4. Joined
    16 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 05:05
    Try playing a double reed instrument!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 01:14
    Originally posted by davaniel
    Pretty boring... played piano since I was 7. Continued through primary and secondary school, studying it at the conservatoire, hoping to do my final exam in June. That's about it.
    So what will be your final? Well Tempered Clavier? Strictly technique or are you studying composition as well?
  6. The Hague
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 13:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So what will be your final? Well Tempered Clavier? Strictly technique or are you studying composition as well?
    Studying just classical piano. Playing one Prelude & Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier, Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit and Beethoven's Pathetique sonata.
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 22:04
    Studying just classical piano. Playing one Prelude & Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier, Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit and Beethoven's Pathetique sonata.
    Do you like Ivo Pogorelich interpretation of Gaspard de la Nuit (Croatian pianist, recorded somwhere in Japan, uploaded on youtube)
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 23:22
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Do you like Ivo Pogorelich interpretation of Gaspard de la Nuit (Croatian pianist, recorded somwhere in Japan, uploaded on youtube)
    Do you have a link? I'd be interested in hearing this.
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 01:05
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Do you have a link? I'd be interested in hearing this.
    Sure ; YouTube
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 01:56
    Sure ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUQoFOIn8dA
    Nice! Thanks!
  11. The Hague
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 01:58
    I've just been listening to Ondine on youtube, had a lesson with a great teacher (Naum Grubert) today on it. I've seen the Pogorelich recording on youtube, but was watching it just now to give a comment on your question. His interpretation seems musical, and of course he's certainly very able to play the piece, but from my point of view, he's just not really doing what's written, and although with some composers that can be a good thing and interesting, Ravel was known to write down very precisely (and I mean REALLY precisely) what he wanted. If he wrote down a crescendo, he wanted a crescendo, and Pogorelich doesn't do those things more often than he does.
    Of course, that's not enough to find a recording or playing not good enough. I read a reaction on the youtube video where someone says that he makes it seem so easy. I think he does, which is really a good thing, because all the difficult things and the sheer number of notes (and, seriously, make no mistake, this piece (I'm talking of Ondine now, but of course it counts for the other 2 movements as well) is hauntingly difficult) should really be more or less background.

Right now, I just finished listening to it, and I must say that the places where he doesn't do what's written really annoy me (I'm sure his performance is captivating for people who don't know the piece, but manipulating a piece to do your bidding to control and amaze an audience isn't what I think Ravel had in mind when writing this piece). Pogorelich' hands and fingers and sound control are amazing, but he doesn't seem to know the poem by Bertrand or what the poem's about. He doesn't seem to be imagining enough a story or a painting he's drawing.
    Apart from that, I don't think I can play the piece flawlessly as he does, or I'm even quite sure that I can't. But I do think that I will at least try to bring more into the piece of what Ravel wrote and of the poem that Bertrand wrote. It's hard, but not impossible.
  12. The Hague
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 02:06
    Seriously, I'm just watching a bit of Pogorelich' Scarbo, and it's really horrible. He's going so extremely fast, he's absolutely not paying attention to anything that's written (playing forte or even fortissimo where it says ppp!), it's absolutely no image, no story, no dark, haunting story, no dancing, monstrous little dwarf, just a Russian virtuoso showing his tricks.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 03:18
    Seriously, I'm just watching a bit of Pogorelich' Scarbo, and it's really horrible. He's going so extremely fast, he's absolutely not paying attention to anything that's written (playing forte or even fortissimo where it says ppp!), it's absolutely no image, no story, no dark, haunting story, no dancing, monstrous little dwarf, just a Russian virtuoso showing his tricks.
    That must've been after I fell asleep. I only caught the beginning, and then I dozed off. 😞
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:04
    All stringed instruments.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 18:28
    Classical guitar. Here is a short video of my teacher.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree