1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:31
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    1: He was referring to INCOME tax.

2: The Making Work Pay tax ALONE is a $400 tax credit for individuals, which is WAY more than your claimed tax hike on cigarettes (which I haven't bothered to validate). Now factor in other tax credits and the reduction in a tax rate.

3: You accidentally forgot to answer whether or not George H.W. Bush 'lied through his teeth' when he said, "read my lips, no new taxes"
    I said he has lied through his teeth. He has already with the tobacco tax.
    “I can make a firm pledge,” Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H. last September.

“Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.”

Famous last words: Not any of your taxes.
    I did not forget to answer about Bush Sr. Whats to say? He lied too. Thats common knowledge as well as ancient history. Andrew Jackson did some dirty things as well.Should we discuss him to some how validate Obama?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:37
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Should we discuss him to some how validate Obama?
    Maybe. In order to understand politics.

Perhaps taxes need to go up and Obama simply is not able to stick to his previous policy projections.

His predictions were made before he took over the administration of the country.

Do you think changing their mind in order to adapt to the challenges faced is a weakness in politicians?
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe. In order to understand politics.

Perhaps taxes need to go up and Obama simply is not able to stick to his previous policy projections.

His predictions were made before he took over the administration of the country.

Do you think changing their mind in order to adapt to the challenges faced is a weakness in politicians?
    I do not view it as changing ones mind as you say.It is a calculated lie,said in order to get elected. Of course Obama did not start the practice. Politicians are liars and kleptocrats including Obama.He is no savior.There is no transparency w/him.No change. Its business as usual in Washington.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:50
    I said he has lied through his teeth. He has already with the tobacco tax.
    “I can make a firm pledge,” Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H. last September.

“Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.”

Fa ...[text shortened]... . Andrew Jackson did some dirty things as well.Should we discuss him to some how validate Obama?
    I watch politics a lot and every single time I saw Obama speak on the issue he was referring specifically to income tax.

Can you link me to that specific quote from a mainstream media outlet?
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:53
    I watch politics a lot and every single time I saw Obama speak on the issue he was referring specifically to income tax.

Can you link me to that specific quote from a mainstream media outlet?
    You people kill me. Your claiming this quote is false?!
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 11:59
    You people kill me. Your claiming this quote is false?!
    False and/or out of context words spread like wildfire in politics. Do you deny this? So it kills you that I ask for validation?

I'm willing to bet you got copied and pasted that quote from some Conservative blog or editorial, which would make it even more suspect.

Did I call it?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:05
    I do not view it as changing ones mind as you say.It is a calculated lie,said in order to get elected. Of course Obama did not start the practice. Politicians are liars and kleptocrats including Obama.He is no savior.There is no transparency w/him.No change. Its business as usual in Washington.
    Well you probably need to decide whether you want to (a) go around saying levying taxes is 'theft', or (b) be taken serioiusly.
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:11
    False and/or out of context words spread like wildfire in politics. Do you deny this? So it kills you that I ask for validation?

I'm willing to bet you got copied and pasted that quote from some Conservative blog or editorial, which would make it even more suspect.

Did I call it?
    actually the first time I saw it was on t.v.
    what would you consider a main stream acceptable media source for me to get this quote from? Let me get the rules first,it cant be from any link that is conservative,correct?
    MSNBC or CNN suit you? Or the New York Times? Perhaps,Comedy Central? What do you prefer?
    This is where I cut it from,even though I could get it from numerous spots.
    http://moneynews.newsmax.com/dan_mangru/taxes/2009/07/15/236029.html
    I am sure you wont approve
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:13
    You people kill me.
    I just looked it up, the quote is valid. And I fully agree with Politifact's take on it, although I do not agree with their "compromise" rating.

You're focusing on his statement, "Of any kind" but you have to also consider what he's specifically referring to, "Under my plan", which pertains to his income tax plan.

Cigarette tax a deliberate deception? Of course not. Obama had already previously made public he supported a bill which funds health insurance for children that is partially funded by a tobaco tax hike.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/515/no-family-making-less-250000-will-see-any-form-tax/
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:18
    But if Obama compromises on that point, it would reverse his promise not to raise taxes on those earning less than $250,000.

"I pledge that under my plan, no one making less than $250,000 a year will see any type of tax increase," Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H., last year. "Not income tax, not capital gains taxes, not any kind of tax."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31595921/

This news outlet does not get any more pro Obama than you can get. None other than MSNBC!
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:25
    Run this by me!

So your dad promises you a college education and a new car if you do well in your sat's and then when you are about to go, the college fund that was going to pay for it all gets rumbled and your dad loses his job.

What's the most responsible thing for your dad to do?

a) keep his promise regardless, after all a promise is a promise, or

b) get you to accept a few changes,like maybe having to ride the bus and go to community college?
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:25
    In some instances during the campaign, Obama was plainly talking about income, payroll and investment taxes, even if he did not say so.

Other times, his point appeared to be that heavier taxation of any sort on average Americans is the wrong prescription in tough times.

"Listen now," he said in his widely watched nomination acceptance speech, "I will cut taxes — cut taxes — for 95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class."

An unequivocal "any tax" pledge also was heard in the vice presidential debate, another prominent forum.

"No one making less than $250,000 under Barack Obama's plan will see one single penny of their tax raised," Joe Biden said, "whether it's their capital gains tax, their income tax, investment tax, any tax."

The Democratic campaign used such statements to counter Republican assertions that Obama would raise taxes in a multitude of direct and indirect ways, recalled Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

"I think a reasonable person would have concluded that Senator Obama had made a 'no new taxes' pledge to every couple or family making less than $250,000," she said.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/04/02/analysis-obama-tax-pledge-smoke/
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:26
    But if Obama compromises on that point, it would reverse his promise not to raise taxes on those earning less than $250,000.

"I pledge that under my plan, no one making less than $250,000 a year will see any type of tax increase," Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H., last year. "Not income tax, not capital gains taxes, not any kind of tax."
    http://w ...[text shortened]...

This news outlet does not get any more pro Obama than you can get. None other than MSNBC!
    No, POLITIFACT gave it a "compromise" rating based on much internal debate. I personally disagree that it's a compromise at all.

When discussing his income tax plan Obama said, "of any kind" once at a rally. And prior to saying, "of any kind" he layed out some examples of taxation that pertain to ones income, i.e. income tax, payroll tax and capital gains taxes.

He had also previously made it very public that he supported increasing tobacco tax to help fund health care for children.

And, as politifact rightfully points out cigarettes are not an income specific form of taxation.

All I see from the right is a feeble attempt to play symantics.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:27
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Run this by me!

So your dad promises you a college education and a new car if you do well in your sat's and then when you are about to go, the college fund that was going to pay for it all gets rumbled and your dad loses his job.

What's the most responsible thing for your dad to do?

a) keep his promise regardless, after all a promise is a promise, or ...[text shortened]... get you to accept a few changes,like maybe having to ride the bus and go to community college?
    My dad is not a elected politician
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 12:37
    No, POLITIFACT gave it a "compromise" rating based on much internal debate. I personally disagree that it's a compromise at all.

When discussing his income tax plan Obama said, "of any kind" once at a rally. And prior to saying, "of any kind" he layed out some examples of taxation that pertain to ones income, i.e. income tax, payroll tax ...[text shortened]... fic form of taxation.

All I see from the right is a feeble attempt to play symantics.
    you give me an acceptable link where he stated this as you say BEFORE he was elected.
    "He had also previously made it very public that he supported increasing tobacco tax to help fund health care for children."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree