2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

2 Obama officials: No guarantee taxes won't go up

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
06 Aug 09

And another....
The video posted on the YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-bY92mcOdk uses that quote and one other, in which the president said, “But I don’t think we’re going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There’s going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out or 20 years out,” to build the case that the health care reform the president is pushing would eliminate private insurance and leave government in charge of everyone’s medical treatment.

U

Moves
06 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by utherpendragon
And another....
The video posted on the YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-bY92mcOdk uses that quote and one other, in which the president said, “But I don’t think we’re going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There’s going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out or 20 years out,” ...[text shortened]... ould eliminate private insurance and leave government in charge of everyone’s medical treatment.
Deceptively out of context. WOOPS!

http://www.americanprogressaction.org/events/healthforum/obama_transcript.html

Obama, March 24, 2007: Another principle is that it’s going to have to be some form of pooling of costs of risk. And there are going to be a number of proposals, and they’re out. I heard in some of the previous questions that one pool would be the federal pool that already exists for myself and other federal workers. Some states, like California and Massachusetts, already started to set up their pools. Whatever the mechanism, we going to have to have a pooling system so that individuals have the benefits of being part of a larger group. …

As I indicated before, I think that we’re going to have to have some system where people can buy into a larger pool. Right now their pool typically is the employer, but there are other ways of doing it. I would like to — I would hope that we could set up a system that allows those who can go through their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some sort. But I don’t think we’re going to be able to eliminate employer coverage immediately. There’s going to be potentially some transition process. I can envision a decade out or 15 years out or 20 years out where we’ve got a much more portable system. Employers still have the option of providing coverage, but many people may find that they get better coverage, or at least coverage that gives them more for health care dollars than they spend outside of their employer. And I think we’ve got to facilitate that and let individuals make that choice to transition out of employer coverage.