1. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 07:03
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7330986/Apple-admits-using-child-labour.html
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 14:491 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7330986/Apple-admits-using-child-labour.html
    Of course they use children. I could have told you that. Who else can figure out how to use all the features of all their little gadgets? Plus, they don't even include real instruction manuals with their products. Clearly, Apple gadgets are made by children for children.

On a serious note, a few 15 years olds were found working in the factories in Asia. Boo Hoo! I don't see anything inherently wrong with 15 or 16 year olds working. It's just an arbitrary rule of western society that people shouldn't get regular jobs until they're 17 or 18. Through most of human history, 15 or 16 was considered a perfectly legitimate age for people to be working full time. If China or any other country lets 15 year olds work, why is it our business to stop it or sanction it? 15 year olds are adults, at least biologically. That we consider it best to still be in the educational system until 17 or 18 is our societal decision, not a moral imperative.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 16:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    Of course they use children. I could have told you that. Who else can figure out how to use all the features of all their little gadgets? Plus, they don't even include real instruction manuals with their products. Clearly, Apple gadgets are made by children for children.

On a serious note, a few 15 years olds were found working in the factories in Asia. Boo ...[text shortened]... in the educational system until 17 or 18 is our societal decision, not a moral imperative.
    I discussed this on a previous thread. Basically I argued much the same. In modern times teenagers are largely held back from attaining their full potential based soley upon their age. As a result, teenagers often have issues with assuming responsibility of any kind and often their listlessness extends well into their 20's.

Having said that, at what age do you think teenagers should drink alcohol, engage in warfare or even sex?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 16:31
    Originally posted by whodey

Having said that, at what age do you think teenagers should drink alcohol, engage in warfare or even sex?
    Hmm, you tell me. What should the statists determine?
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 16:42

On a serious note, a few 15 years olds were found working in the factories in Asia. Boo ...[text shortened]... in the educational system until 17 or 18 is our societal decision, not a moral imperative.
    thats just the top of the article
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 17:03
    I started working at 15. But that was part time at Baskin Robbins and not some sweatshop factory.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 17:03
    how do you feel about ice cream now?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 18:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I started working at 15. But that was part time at Baskin Robbins and not some sweatshop factory.
    So, it was morally superior that you made ice cream cones and not ipods?
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 18:33
    I discussed this on a previous thread. Basically I argued much the same. In modern times teenagers are largely held back from attaining their full potential based soley upon their age. As a result, teenagers often have issues with assuming responsibility of any kind and often their listlessness extends well into their 20's.

I have no problem with government regulating underage warfare, sex, drinking or even work. But I don't think there's a moral imperative to do so. If the work age in China is 15, it's not the US' business to force US companies to boycott Chinese labor.

FWIW, I do think 21 for drinking is ridiculously high. I also think that it's royally screwed up that constant images that we're subjected to almost involuntarily gear us up for sex with teenaged girls; but they'll throw you in the hoosegow for a decade if you sleep with a consenting 16 year old. As for the army, 18 seems about right. I see no reason not to allow 15 year olds to work; but hey, that's up to the popularly elected legislatures to determine and whatever they decide, I'll live with it.
  10. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 18:38

"Having said that, at what age do you think teenagers should drink alcohol, engage in warfare or even sex?"

I say ban them all. They do nothing but leave a bad taste in your mouth.

GRANNY.
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 19:06
    The good news is my AAPL shares are approaching $210 again. I got in at $135.
  12. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 21:39
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The good news is my AAPL shares are approaching $210 again. I got in at $135.
    ah, so you do make the magic figure over 250K...:-)
    anyway, good job.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 21:59
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    ah, so you do make the magic figure over 250K...:-)
    anyway, good job.
    Make over 250K? Hell no. I wish!
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 00:14
    So, it was morally superior that you made ice cream cones and not ipods?
    Everything I do is morally superior.
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 00:231 edit

On a serious note, a few 15 years olds were found working in the factories in Asia. Boo in the educational system until 17 or 18 is our societal decision, not a moral imperative.
    Would you let your 15/16 year old son work in the condition that are available in these types of jobs?

Sweatshop conditions that is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree