1. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    "We do not consider child labour to be a pressing problem in the Czech Republic. Generally speaking, it is banned. [b]Exceptions certainly do exist."

"the actual health risk following from child labour... has been brought down to a reasonable level"

"To a limited extent, child labour might be used or misused in small family enterpris poor conditions even though it doesn't seem to be an alarming one. But still it exists.
    [/b]Well, it certainly exists in the U.S. as well, and it's probably not a very alarming trend there either. Poverty is probably comparable to the U.S. - the Czech GDP per capita is about two thirds of that of the state of Missisippi, but wealth is spread much more evenly.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:24
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Everything I do is morally superior.
    You haven't been Great Khan for a while now, Ming!
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, it certainly exists in the U.S. as well, and it's probably not a very alarming trend there either. Poverty is probably comparable to the U.S. - the Czech GDP per capita is about two thirds of that of the state of Missisippi, but wealth is spread much more evenly.[/b]
    A GDP that's 33% less than our poorest state is your idea of comparable?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:25
    There is child labour in sweatshops in the Czech Republic. Really?

The Czech Republic has universal, free, mantatory education up to the age of 15.[/b]
    So do we in the USA, but we still have children being pimped out on the streets on occasion...
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:26
    Unregulated capitalism is a contradiction in terms.
    I was going to dismiss this as a trite cliche but then I realized it wasn't. Well said!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    You make the case that there is such a thing as 'the violence of poverty'. It's interesting that libertarians refuse to see this as a form of "force". Indeed, their refusal is a kind of "fraud". Whoops. The two wheels of the WajomaWorld philosophy have fallen off.
    As James Madison wrote, property ownership exists only as long as everyone has the basics needed to thrive. After that the wealthy violate the right to property by denying the poor the ability to earn wealth (by withholding resources at police gunpoint).
  7. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 16:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, because the gap between rich and poor is smaller. Anyway, there are no "sweatshops" in the Czech Republic, that's all I wanted to say.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 19:28
    welcome to KazetNagorra land 😵.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 19:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    As James Madison wrote, property ownership exists only as long as everyone has the basics needed to thrive. After that the wealthy violate the right to property by denying the poor the ability to earn wealth (by withholding resources at police gunpoint).
    is that happening in the US?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 20:05
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    welcome to KazetNagorra land 😵.
    The Czech Republic has a Gini coefficient of .26, the US Gini is .46.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:06
    The Czech Republic has a Gini coefficient of .26, the US Gini is .46.
    Still you have to do some calculations before saying that they are comparable.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:09
    Well, I'd alter that to that I'd concede that there's something that's not pleasant about it. I wouldn't want my children to work in those factories because I envision and will try to help build a better life for them; not because I believe there's an inherent immorality in 15 year olds working.
    I've said two or three times by now that the problem isn't about 15 year olds working. The problem is the conditions that they have to work in and the fact the their choices are reduced to starving to death or having to work in miserable jobs. Those are the problems in my view.

Your second paragraph is way to ridiculous to merit anything but this.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:23
    I've said two or three times by now that the problem isn't about 15 year olds working. The problem is the conditions that they have to work in and the fact the their choices are reduced to starving to death or having to work in miserable jobs. Those are the problems in my view.

Your second paragraph is way to ridiculous to merit anything but this.
    But surely, those dire conditions are equally unacceptable for an 18-year old?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:24
    Still you have to do some calculations before saying that they are comparable.
    One third difference is already comparable, the Gini will make up a significant part, perhaps even more than that one third difference.
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 21:30
    But surely, those dire conditions are equally unacceptable for an 18-year old?
    Yes. Why do you ask?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree