1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:441 edit
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Must have taken the guy a week (40 hrs.) to make a pair of custom shoes for you at, say, $20/hr. equals $800. That's a fair price is all i meant.

GRANNY.
    What has "$20 an hour" got to do with anything?

EDIT: fixed
  2. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    What has "$20 a day" got to do with anything?
    Sounded like a minimum fair wage for a person i assumed was self employed.That's all i meant.

Oh, Not $20 a day.....i said $20 an hour.

GRANNY.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:04
    Sounded like a minimum fair wage for a person i assumed was self employed.That's all i meant.

Oh, Not $20 a day.....i said $20 an hour.

GRANNY.
    You're talking nonsense. And without any humour.
  4. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're talking nonsense. And without any humour.
    well then, how much did you pay for the shoes and approx. how long did it take to make them ? I just meant to say that you paid the cobbler a fair wage that's all.

GRANNY.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:17
    well then, how much did you pay for the shoes and approx. how long did it take to make them ?
    None of your business. Your previous stupid remarks about hourly rate and the cost of the shoes marks your card as yet another right wing twerp who seems to think that people who advocate economic justice need to prove their sincerity by giving their money away. Childish. Unfunny. Hackneyed. Ignorant. You showed no interest in this OP's topic until you saw a chance to make a trademark misanthropic joke. And now you feign some clumsy concern about someone's "fair wage"? I don't think so. Stick to what you do best.
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    None of your business. Your previous stupid remarks about hourly rate and the cost of the shoes marks your card as yet another right wing twerp who seems to think that people who advocate economic justice need to prove their sincerity by giving their money away. Childish. Unfunny. Hackneyed. Ignorant. You showed no interest in this OP's topic until you saw a cha ...[text shortened]... me clumsy concern about someone's "fair wage"? I don't think so. Stick to what you do best.
    That's all i wanted to hear from you. Thank you kindly. So you screwed the guy, correct ?

That makes the score:

GRANNY.......1
    FMF.............0

GRANNY
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 05:361 edit
    So you screwed the guy, correct ?
    Whatever you say, GRANNY. I've already pointed out that I paid him 10 or 15 times more for the pair of shoes than a factory worker would have got for making a similar pair. So if that means I screwed him according to your mindmap, then so be it.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 07:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    None of your business. Your previous stupid remarks about hourly rate and the cost of the shoes marks your card as yet another right wing twerp who seems to think that people who advocate economic justice need to prove their sincerity by giving their money away. Childish. Unfunny. Hackneyed. Ignorant. You showed no interest in this OP's topic until you saw a cha ...[text shortened]... me clumsy concern about someone's "fair wage"? I don't think so. Stick to what you do best.
    Ignorance of game theory and human psychology, the trademark of the right winger.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 10:57
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I see what you mean. But I thought this was more of a theoretical exercise than anything. I didn't think you were think that I thought that removing force and fraud from the world could be done just like that.

But you do believe that the living conditions of a good part of the population can be meliorated don't you?
    It is no theoretical exercise, it's an ideal. It can't be done 'just like that' and it wont be done ever, there will always those that believe they have a right to force their idea of ideals, on you. The burglar creeping around your house or those that want to interfere with, ban, limit and regulate the voluntary exchange of value for value, one's as bad as the other.
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 11:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Ignorance of game theory and human psychology, the trademark of the right winger.
    Game theory? That's where you set up an imaginary situation and shape the criteria to provide a preset conclusion as proof of the conclusion which was the conclusion you were looking for.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 11:56
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Game theory? That's where you set up an imaginary situation and shape the criteria to provide a preset conclusion as proof of the conclusion which was the conclusion you were looking for.
    Your doctorate's in the post.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 12:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nothing so grand. But some ideas, perhaps.

Criminalizing or penalizing, in the 'West', the taking advantage of atrocious labour standards overseas at the point when such goods are imported. Handle it as if it were contraband and the whole thing a criminal enterprise. Tax some semblence of decency into them. Punitively.

We talk about supporting "the opposit ...[text shortened]... h moot.

As for me, for the last 7 or 8 years I have had my shoes made by a cobbler.
    Ok.

But we also have to deal with the people that work in those conditions. I think that they should organize locally and fight for better conditions. Yes it'll be tough and things will get a lot worse before they get any better, but I think it is something they should press for.

Me, myself I buy as little from multinationals and support local commerce as much as I can.
  13. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 15:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Hey, it works in the US. Should work in the Netherlands also.

GRANNY.
  14. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 15:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Whatever you say, GRANNY. I've already pointed out that I paid him 10 or 15 times more for the pair of shoes than a factory worker would have got for making a similar pair. So if that means I screwed him according to your mindmap, then so be it.
    If i paid my 3 employees what you paid the cobbler per hour they'd turn around and run from me so fast i'd see nothing but elbows and aholes.

GRANNY.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 15:40
    If i paid my 3 employees what you paid the cobbler per hour they'd turn around and run from me so fast i'd see nothing but elbows and aholes.
    More irrelevant blather aimed at offsetting your flippant nastiness, I guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree