1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 19:47
    @zahlanzi said
    "I work in mental health. I have visited 3 people already this week who can not wear a mask. (One who is severely asthmatic, but the other two for reasons relating to their mental health. PTSD/Anxiety). "
    Yes, yes, quite sad. Let's have them endanger the health of everyone else, to make them feel happy.

"My primary role with these clients is social inclusion, all three ...[text shortened]... that same supermarket and he will be doing it without a mask, because he is super anxious about it.
    Your flippancy to people experiencing mental health issues is unworthy of serious response.

Jog on.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 19:49
    @zahlanzi said

Really? Not where they cough in the face of people who are following the rules and would pretty much like to not get a deadly disease? Are you showing empathy towards those people?
    Yes. I wear a mask. (Because I am able to).
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 20:05
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I work in mental health. I have visited 3 people already this week who can not wear a mask. (One who is severely asthmatic, but the other two for reasons relating to their mental health. PTSD/Anxiety).

My primary role with these clients is social inclusion, all three isolated and at risk of neglect and relapse. The critical need for these people to be supported in ...[text shortened]... g term would be a failure in this regard and the reason any civilized society recognizes exemptions.
    You also have a professional duty to the public. IF one of your clients because of their mental health issues posed a clear danger of harm to other individuals, surely you would have a moral obligation to prevent them from doing so. And IF that entailed physically restraining them, there is ample legal justification and past precedent to do so.

I'm having a difficult time understanding what justification is sufficient to allow persons to potentially spread a deadly disease, knowing in advance that exemptions of this sort will surely means additional sickness and death. I have not heard any reasonable one yet.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 20:09
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Your flippancy to people experiencing mental health issues is unworthy of serious response.

Jog on.
    Yes, i am really flippant. Choosing some people to stay at home rather than endangering a whole lot of other people.

Hmmm, a very small minority staying at home or the rest of the people being put at risk of catching a deadly disease? It's the moral dilemma of the century. Like the trolley problem only that if you pull the lever some people watch Netflix at home and have to stare out the window for a while but if you don't some people die.

The great philosophers will be struggling with this one for decades.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 20:10
    @no1marauder said
    You also have a professional duty to the public. IF one of your clients because of their mental health issues posed a clear danger of harm to other individuals, surely you would have a moral obligation to prevent them from doing so. And IF that entailed physically restraining them, there is ample legal justification and past precedent to do so.

I'm having a difficult ...[text shortened]... this sort will surely means additional sickness and death. I have not heard any reasonable one yet.
    "I have not heard any reasonable one yet."
    Staying inside makes them sad. What, it's not enough?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '20 20:12
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Yes. I wear a mask. (Because I am able to).
    You are supposed to. What, you want a cookie? Do you also stay within the speed limit when driving ?
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 03:561 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It's not 1 in a million Shav. I wish it was.

And I agree, the real issue is the 'long term' requirement of people to be virtual prisoners at home if physically or mentally unable to wear a mask. And these are people who are probably already socially isolated.
    Are you seriously suggesting there are more than 60 people in Britain with traumas which make it psychologically impossible to wear a mask?
    That is such a niche trauma, you’re gonna have to back it up with figures.

Your follow up argument: these people are already socially isolated and shouldn’t be punished for their psychological damage.

Yes. Quite right.
    There is an exception though: the safety of society.
    If one’s PTSD leads one to beat up random strangers in the street, do you not feel thet the person should be restrained from walking down the street?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 05:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 05:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    yes but one not wearing a helmet endangers only themselves. Doesn't apply here. How about if someone argued in court that they should be allowed to drive 100km/h within city limits because of medical reasons? Or a man with violent outbursts shouldn't be committed because it would violate his right to freedom?

would you argue that to commit such a person is inhumane?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 05:541 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I work in mental health. I have visited 3 people already this week who can not wear a mask. (One who is severely asthmatic, but the other two for reasons relating to their mental health. PTSD/Anxiety).

My primary role with these clients is social inclusion, all three isolated and at risk of neglect and relapse. The critical need for these people to be supported in ...[text shortened]... g term would be a failure in this regard and the reason any civilized society recognizes exemptions.
    Are you a mental health practitioner?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:132 edits
    It could be argued I suppose, that if a person”s mental condition is so brittle and damaged that wearing a lightweight surgical mask (only for the brief time they are in a retail outlet) is feared to damage it further, then that person has a debilitating problem which the not wearing of the mask will not prevent.

(Edit pls excuse the double negative.)
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:19
    @no1marauder said

I'm having a difficult ...[text shortened]... this sort will surely means additional sickness and death. I have not heard any reasonable one yet.
    I’m having trouble imagining why your concerning yourself with persecuting a small minority of vulnerable people when you cannot get perfectly healthy people to wear a mask.
    The flu is a deadly disease if you have underlying issues so maybe we should lock these people in their homes and throw away the key.
    Masks are part of a common sense approach to combatting covid 19, it’s not a hands in the air screaming issue, in some countries it’s obviously become a partisan political weapon and it’s abhorrent that physically and emotionally vulnerable people should be collateral damage in the war.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:33
    @divegeester said
    It could be argued I suppose, that if a person”s mental condition is so brittle and damaged that wearing a lightweight surgical mask (only for the brief time they are in a retail outlet) is feared to damage it further, then that person has a debilitating problem which the not wearing of the mask will not prevent.

(Edit pls excuse the double negative.)
    Not sure what point your making dive, these people cannot breathe and wear a mask at the same time.
    If for whatever reason a person is deemed unable to wear a mask are you agreeing that they should be restricted to their homes? I don’t think it’s just shopping trips that under threat for these vulnerable people but anywhere that the authorities deem masks compulsory.
    It’s definitely a theoretical question for most of us, I go shopping in my mask everyday next to teenagers laughing and cavorting without one.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:44
    @zahlanzi said
    "I think this is where you are evidencing your own lack of understanding and empathy for people who 'cannot' wear a mask. (To really quite a laughable extent).

To label them as selfish really is profoundly naive."
    Really? Not where they cough in the face of people who are following the rules and would pretty much like to not get a deadly disease? Are you showing empathy ...[text shortened]... wearing a mask makes you selfish. You lack of understanding and empathy to quite a laughable extent.
    “To label them as selfish really is profoundly naive."
    Really? Not where they cough in the face of people who are following the rules and would pretty much like to not get a deadly disease? Are you showing empathy towards those people? “

Are you now claiming that the problem is vulnerable people running around coughing in peoples faces, because in general they are usually a bit more reticent than that. Do let us know when you reach the ‘bottom of the barrel’ in terms of arguments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree