1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 15:21
    Some people can see, others can't. We see it in chess. We see it if we actually have a gift in some area. Some people have the gift to see what is going on, others are without a clue.

Are there people who are permanently blind? Of those who are not, how much time is required to put in the work to see? Of those who are gifted, how much time do they need to see?

Some would say that others are stupid, but I don't think it is stupidity at all, simply blind. Why put down people simply because they are blind? Yet why put money into people who are hopelessly blind? Seems like a total waste of public funds to me.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 00:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Some people can see, others can't. We see it in chess. We see it if we actually have a gift in some area. Some people have the gift to see what is going on, others are without a clue...
    ...Are there people who are permanently blind? Of those who are not, how much time is required to put in the work to see? Of those who are gifted, how much time do they need to see?

Some would say that others are stupid, but I don't think it is stupidity at all, simply blind. Why put down people simply because they are blind? Yet why put money into people who are hopelessly blind? Seems like a total waste of public funds to me.

Do you think no public money should be used for services and support for people with disability? Or are you saying that only "gifted" disabled people should be able to benefit, while "stupid" disabled people should not?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 11:45
    Some people can see, others can't. We see it in chess. We see it if we actually have a gift in some area. Some people have the gift to see what is going on, others are without a clue.

Are there people who are permanently blind? Of those who are not, how much time is required to put in the work to see? Of those who are gifted, how much time do they nee ...[text shortened]... t money into people who are hopelessly blind? Seems like a total waste of public funds to me.
    Sorry, I can't understand a word of what you are saying.

Can I have some money please?
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 11:52

Are there people who are permanently blind? Of those who are not, how much time is required to put in the work to see? Of those who are gifted, how much time do they nee ...[text shortened]... t money into people who are hopelessly blind? Seems like a total waste of public funds to me.
    So which group of social malcontents would you deprive of funds in this round comrade?...
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 11:55
    We see it if we actually have a gift in some area.
    Actually, we don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 12:07
    Eladar is trying to position himself for the You Thought Alf Garnett Was Bad Award in the Flaming Tomatoes later this year.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 12:291 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Eladar is trying to position himself for the You Thought Alf Garnett Was Bad Award in the Flaming Tomatoes later this year.
    Alf at least made you laugh...

Edit: maybe I should read his posts with Alf's voice...
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 13:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think Eladar would know Him better as Archie bunker.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 14:45
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I think Eladar would know Him better as Archie bunker.
    I was sticking my euroweenie chin out to see if Eladar would tell me to bounce my ball on it.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:081 edit
    I was thinking more along the lines of the Germans and their education model. In the US we try to give everyone the same education, if they are intellegent or not, they all get the same shot. We end up spending a ton of money needlessly.

Public funds are not limitless. It seems to me that the responsible thing to do is to spend money wisely.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:131 edit
    I was thinking more along the lines of the Germans and their education model. In the US we try to give everyone the same education, if they are intellegent or not, they all get the same shot. We end up spending a ton of money needlessly.

Public funds are not limitless. It seems to me that the responsible thing to do is to spend money wisely.
    So in your OP you argue that it's a total waste of public funds to help disabled people who are not "gifted" in some way?

As far as I know, the only kind of Germans who'd say something like "why put money into people who are hopelessly blind? Seems like a total waste of public funds to me" would be neo-Nazis.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:18

So are you suggesting an IQ test at pre-school age and leave the bottom halve to rot? or are you suggesting that resources be targeted at those who need the most support in order to attain a viable level of education?
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was sticking my euroweenie chin out to see if Eladar would tell me to bounce my ball on it.
    Did you just say you want Eladar to bounce his balls on your chin? You need to take that to an online sex site!!!
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:24
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Did you just say you want Eladar to bounce his balls on your chin? You need to take that to an online sex site!!!
    We call it 'keepy uppy'
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:25
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    For several years here it was always clear when I had caught Eladar out by digging up a quote of his or if I had asked him a question that got to the very core of his contradiction or his misanthropy; he would tell me 'to go bounce my ball'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree