1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 21:461 edit
    @shavixmir said
    Oh, stop carping on about Scottish politics.
    It’s all rather bleak and it’s got no plaice on a forum like this...
    We are only able to skate over the surface of the deeper issues...

This is great, and in the true British (and honourary British) spirit that we can disagree so vociferously about something and make terrible jokes about it. All hail the British spirit.

Edit: Sorry this got posted twice, dodgy internet connection.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 04:14
    @indonesia-phil said
    We are only able to skate over the surface of the deeper issues...

This is great, and in the true British (and honourary British) spirit that we can disagree so vociferously about something and make terrible jokes about it. All hail the British spirit.

Edit: Sorry this got posted twice, dodgy internet connection.
    Blaming the internet for your posting skills is a bit of a red herring, if you ask me.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 08:102 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I actually remember that, it popped up on the news from time to time but our chippy never ran out of cod so no one other trawler men and politicians got too exited about it.
    Given Iceland’s economic dependence on fishing it’s not hard to see it from their angle.
  4. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 14:56
    Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together
    https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-will-cost-uk-more-than-total-payments-to-eu-2020-1?r=DE&IR=T
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 14:59
    @biffo-konker said
    Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together
    https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-will-cost-uk-more-than-total-payments-to-eu-2020-1?r=DE&IR=T
    That’s some George Osbourne level maths right there.
    Considering the UK hasn’t actually left, but in name only.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:00
    @biffo-konker said
    You’ve been away from the site for a while, I trust all is well in biffo world?
  7. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:06
    Essential post-Brexit freight software is unlikely to be ready on time for 1 January, those building it have warned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54706263

Well,what a surprise. Another Boris botch up. Luckily all the truck parks will be ready in time.

edit. Just read that the truck parks wont be ready either. It all seems to be a bit of a shambles.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:09
    @biffo-konker said
    Essential post-Brexit freight software is unlikely to be ready on time for 1 January, those building it have warned.

Well,what a surprise. Another Boris botch up. Luckily all the truck parks will be ready in time.

edit. Just read that the truck parks wont be ready either. It all seems to be a bit of a shambles.
    Please don’t be ignoring me...I’ve missed you and I was concerned about you.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:12
    @divegeester said
    That’s some George Osbourne level maths right there.
    Considering the UK hasn’t actually left, but in name only.
    That is the exactly the point. 200 BILLION up to this end of this year and the UK hasn't actually left.
  10. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:26
    Four ferry firms have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

Grant Shapps, said: "As the transition period comes to an end, we are putting the necessary measures in place to safeguard the smooth and successful flow of freight.

"Securing these contracts ensures that irrespective of the outcome of the negotiations, life-saving medical supplies and other critical goods can continue to enter the UK from the moment we leave the EU."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54523758

At least,these companies seem to have some ships.That's a big plus.
    And now life saving medical supplies are reality and not just scaremongering.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:42
    @biffo-konker said
    That is the exactly the point. 200 BILLION up to this end of this year and the UK hasn't actually left.
    I don’t believe it Biffo. Sorry but I don’t.

Besides the cost of brexit, and yes I know there will be a short to medium term cost, will be nothing compared to the impact of covid restrictions.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:43
    @biffo-konker said
    Four ferry firms have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

Grant Shapps, said: "As the transition period comes to an end, we are putting the necessary measures in place to safeguard the smooth and successful flow of freight.

"Securing these contracts ensures that irrespective of the outcome of the negotiation ...[text shortened]... ps.That's a big plus.
    And now life saving medical supplies are reality and not just scaremongering.
    You do realise that there is life, business and happiness out side of the EU don’t you. Other counties manage it, so will we.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 15:45
    @divegeester said
    Please don’t be ignoring me...I’ve missed you and I was concerned about you.
    I am always concerned when regular posters disappear, even my detractors, and especially in the current climate.

I am also a little concerned about Wolfgang59 who has suddenly gone AWOL.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 19:10
    @biffo-konker said

Psst, there will be a deal in the dying seconds.

Keep it under your hat.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 20:20
    @divegeester said
    You do realise that there is life, business and happiness out side of the EU don’t you. Other counties manage it, so will we.
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, but outside the EU is a passport and control driven nightmare with crappy architecture and worse food.

Obviously the EU has its fair share of problems: Poland, Hungary, the English.

But in general we work less hours a week, have longer holidays, have the Alps, the best food, greatest buildings and Incan drive for days upon days through various countries without drawing a passport and collecting corona wherever I wish.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree