Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is no market for it.
    Well there should be.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 17:54
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Well there should be.
    There should be a market for a radio station that plays good music too, but alas, you cannot force your opinion on people that easily.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 17:571 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    And what a thoroughly tabloidized message it is. He makes me laugh, for sure. But one can only shake one's head to think that he may be America's most famous 'dissident'.

Michael Moore's messages are bitty and inconsistent, and he covers nothing new. He dwells on certain matters, moreso when he thinks can score cheap shots. Meanwhile, he sprints - in his inim e debate about the vital issues he purports to address, in my estimation, is minimal.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. 🙂

In Bowling for Columbine, for example:

First, we're told the guns are the scourge of American society. Fine.

Next, we're told that in Canada, they have just as many guns, but they don't have the same level of violence.

Then, we're told that's because in Canada, they trust people and don't lock they're front doors.

Then, it's media hysteria that's the big problem in the United States.

Then, it's not media hysteria but racism that's our big problem.

Finally, we go see Moore make his courageous visit to Charlton Heston, who was suffering from Alzheimer's and clearly demented at the time. Of course, Moore gains entrance to interview Heston under false pretenses and then, surprise(!), he manages to out debate someone who is twice his age and is half dead from Alzheimer's.

I wish I could say the movie made me think. In fact, it just made my head spin trying to figure out what he's trying to tell us.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 17:59
    Well, talk radio doesn't exist here.
    And the reason for that is...

(please, don't tell me the people of Finland are too sophisticated for talk radio)
  5. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    And the reason for that is...

(please, don't tell me the people of Finland are too sophisticated for talk radio)
    I'm not sure. Tabloids do exist, though they don't have much to report on since there really isn't much happening (I've been told they once had a front page story about how the prime minister was being irresponsible for rowing without a life vest). Maybe it's just a matter of time, or maybe Finns (and most other Europeans) are in fact more sophisticated.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:10
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    It was lifted from my as yet unpublished autobiography. Changed the pronouns and stuck Moore's name in there.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:131 edit
    they once had a front page story about how the [Finnish] prime minister was being irresponsible for rowing without a life vest.
    Mmm. Maybe he needs a night out on the town with Silvio Berlusconi.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:19
    I'm not sure. Tabloids do exist, though they don't have much to report on since there really isn't much happening (I've been told they once had a front page story about how the prime minister was being irresponsible for rowing without a life vest). Maybe it's just a matter of time, or maybe Finns (and most other Europeans) are in fact more sophisticated.
    So, what is on your radio, oh, sophisticated ones? Perhaps poetry readings? Mozart and Beethoven? Or, perhaps, do your stations play the same none too sophisticated pop music our radio stations play?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:251 edit
    So, what is on your radio, oh, sophisticated ones? Perhaps poetry readings? Mozart and Beethoven? Or, perhaps, do your stations play the same none too sophisticated pop music our radio stations play?
    I've only listened to radio at some place where I have lunch sometimes, they play generic pop music. A pity, because there is a lot of good Finnish music.

Back in Holland, I listen to news radio sometimes.

By the way, Mozart is hardly "sophisticated".
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:32
    I've only listened to radio at some place where I have lunch sometimes, they play generic pop music. A pity, because there is a lot of good Finnish music.

Back in Holland, I listen to news radio sometimes.

By the way, Mozart is hardly "sophisticated".
    So, is pop music more sophisticated than talk radio?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:51
    Apples and oranges...
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 19:29
    No.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 19:32
    Apples and oranges...
    Not really. I find it an odd argument that European consumers are too sophisticated to listen to talk radio, so they listen to pop music instead.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 19:45
    Not really. I find it an odd argument that European consumers are too sophisticated to listen to talk radio, so they listen to pop music instead.
    Well, it's nice that you took that seriously... if the shoe fits...

Anyways, I don't know why there is no talk radio here.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 20:32
    Couldn't have said it better myself. 🙂

In Bowling for Columbine, for example:

First, we're told the guns are the scourge of American society. Fine.

Next, we're told that in Canada, they have just as many guns, but they don't have the same level of violence.

Then, we're told that's because in Canada, they trust people and don't lock they're front do ...[text shortened]... fact, it just made my head spin trying to figure out what he's trying to tell us.
    "buy my movie."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree