1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 07:33
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I see the movie as a parody of NRA gun lovers. I find Moore's movies to be entertaining, although I take the sarcasm and leading Moore values with a grain of salt.
    I prefer his books. Scathingly funny, packed with irreverent ironic nuggets. If there's a book based on Sicko, I haven't come across it yet.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I prefer his books. Scathingly funny, packed with irreverent ironic nuggets. If there's a book based on Sicko, I haven't come across it yet.
    I read one of his books -- I think it was "Stupid White Men." Had to wade through an awful lot of self-flagellation to get to any nuggets -- if there were any.

I recall liking "Roger and Me" back in the day. But like many things, the idea didn't really scale up. His level of insight is the same as I imagine one finds on afternoon TV soap-operas and talk shows.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 10:10
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    I read one of his books -- I think it was "Stupid White Men." Had to wade through an awful lot of self-flagellation to get to any nuggets -- if there were any.

I recall liking "Roger and Me" back in the day. But like many things, the idea didn't really scale up. His level of insight is the same as I imagine one finds on afternoon TV soap-operas and talk shows.
    "Roger and Me" .....that was Moore's 1st effort and an example of what to expect from him, he made out like he was chasing Roger Smith, president of GM and kept getting the run around, all the while hiding the fact that Roger Smith granted him an interview IMMEDIATELY and even consented to it being filmed. Moore lied and portrayed Smith as evading him. A complete work of fiction, like everything else he did.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I see the movie as a parody of NRA gun lovers. I find Moore's movies to be entertaining, although I take the sarcasm and leading Moore values with a grain of salt.
    But that's just it. If you watch the movie carefully, other than the first few minutes and that last few minutes (the Heston visit and the K-Mart picket), it isn't about guns. In fact, he goes out of his way to say how great Canada is even tough they also love their guns. He oddly implies than guns are not the reasons for gun violence. The middle of the movie is all about media hysteria and racism. All in all, it's not really an anti-gun movie. It's an anti-media movie and anti-racism movie, I guess. But that movie has an inordinate amount of difficulty staying on message.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 14:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    But that's just it. If you watch the movie carefully, other than the first few minutes and that last few minutes (the Heston visit and the K-Mart picket), it isn't about guns. In fact, he goes out of his way to say how great Canada is even tough they also love their guns. He oddly implies than guns are not the reasons for gun violence. The middle of the movie i ...[text shortened]... sm movie, I guess. But that movie has an inordinate amount of difficulty staying on message.
    Yes, it also surprised me that Moore didn't state the real reason for the large amount of gun-related violence in the US (too high income inequality). Does he not know? Or was he simply afraid of bewildering his undoubtedly "anti-tax" audience?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 15:042 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, it also surprised me that Moore didn't state the real reason for the large amount of gun-related violence in the US (too high income inequality).
    How do you explain the significant decrease in crime that has occurred throughout the US (for example, murders are down about 75% in New York since the early 1990s) while the income inequality has, if anything, widened?

FYI, Moore doesn't give a hoot about kowtowing to the conservative sentiments of his audience.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 15:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    How do you explain the significant decrease in crime that has occurred throughout the US (for example, murders are down about 75% in New York since the early 1990s) while the income inequality has, if anything, widened?

FYI, Moore doesn't give a hoot about kowtowing to the conservative sentiments of his audience.
    There are many factors influencing crime, and they often have long-term effects, too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree