"China to overtake US as world's biggest economy by 2028, report predicts"

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20

😏

Moves
26 Dec 20

It's easy for an economy to succeed when you force your citizens into slave labour 🙄

A

RSA

Moves
26 Dec 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Taking a "New Cold War" approach to relations with China will not work for the West.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20
2 edits

😏

Moves
26 Dec 20

So WWIII starts around 2028?

We are due for another world war 🤔

A

RSA

Moves
26 Dec 20
1 edit

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/yes-balance-china-bring-russia-in-from-cold

Russia may have a large military, but it cannot match China's economy, population or science long term. While it is undoubtedly still very powerful, it is very much in decline at this point, and even if that changes, it won't catch China because of the aforementioned. The USA would be foolish to entertain such a gambit from Putin, who would also risk alienating his most powerful friend.

I've always thought of Sino-Russian relations as more a by-product of mutual rivalry with the United States than an easy friendship, and not only because of more overt historical facts like the Sino-Soviet split (which I think is no longer relevant given the countries' subsequent ideological changes). Russia participated in the dismemberment of the Qing Empire and the exploitation of its decline. Russia took Outer Manchuria (if that name can be used) from China. Russia might once have been the "dominant partner" during the Cold War, but those days are long gone. There is going to be tension between the two as China expands its influence into Central Asia. Russia seems to be more of a wounded rogue state than a serious contender for hegemony in the 21st century.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
26 Dec 20
1 edit

"China will overtake the US as the world’s biggest economy before the end of the decade after outperforming its rival during the global Covid-19 pandemic, according to a report."

I'm mildly surprised this hasn't already happened. The American governments response to this virus has been so badly mismanaged, I predict at least half a million deaths before it's all over. Our beloved President has been MIA on this issue for 4 months, left others to deal with it, and has done little more than complain about election results, and pardon his convict friends.

The damage to our economy and healthcare infrastructure will take a very long time to repair.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20
1 edit

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Dec 20

Their general racism towards China is overshadowed by your racism towards Westerners on this forum.
And any and all debate is overshadowed by you constantly force-feeding us the party-line of China is good, great and benevolant.

Everyone knows that China is an oppressive and racist regime. And that you should be ashamed of defending it.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20
1 edit

A

RSA

Moves
26 Dec 20

Russia took Outer Manchuria (sic) (if that name can be used) from China.

Why is there a "sic"?

A considerable part of southeastern Siberia (now in Russia) used to be part of China.

Yes, it's called Outer Manchuria.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20

A

RSA

Moves
26 Dec 20
1 edit

Yes, which is why I said "if that name can be used".

The region is almost the size of South Africa, and contains access to the Pacific that isn't impeded by South Korea, Japan or Taiwan.

D

Moves
26 Dec 20

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Dec 20

What a crock of rubbish.

First of all, having a government as democratic as the US’s isn’t a bloody high bench to strive for.
Secondly, they don’t. They have a one party dictatorship.

And stop calling me a racist, you racist troll.
What the hell is wrong with you?

I don’t care which economic power is dominant. It’s all evil until the workforce gets proper say over production and distribution.

And stop spewing forth your BS that I don’t care about ordinary people, Chinese or otherwise. If a system is crooked, I will point it out. End of.

You are the paranoid racist. Constantly generalizing white westerners on this forum in every single debate.
How dare you? How dare you even consider placing my opinions on the same pile as Mottballs or whoevers?

What makes you think I hate Chinese people? Or consider them sub-human?
WTF is wrong with you?

Listen to yourself! You obnoxious, racist pig!
Get some bloody therapy.