"China to overtake US as world's biggest economy by 2028, report predicts"

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
01 Jan 21

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Jan 21

@Duchess64
Well the Chinese have not overtaken us yet and they still want land they made in the ocean near the Philippines. Their push outward has already commenced.
They may yet overtake the US in GDP but we will still be in there working with and working against China.

D

Moves
01 Jan 21

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Jan 21

@Duchess64
You are putting words in my mouth like you castigate folks for here.

I SAID they want to expand their territory and you know good and well they are doing exactly that near the Philippines.

That does not mean they are massing a ten million man army on the Indian or Russian border.

D

Moves
01 Jan 21
2 edits

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Jan 21

@Duchess64
The meaning was the same one way or the other.
The bit about uninhabited islands is not what I am talking about and you know THAT full well also.

I am talking about the artificial islands the Chinese built and now are sticking military navel vessels there in a military buildup which has caused protest by the Philippine government and with good reason.

They are blatantly taking over international waters.

Did you get the part where I said 'international"?

D

Moves
02 Jan 21

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Jan 21

@Duchess64
You can't even ADMIT China has built ARTIFICIAL islands near the Philippines AND has them heavily militarized.

I am not talking about island takeover ala Falklands.

I am talking about artificial islands built up close to the Philippines who have protested to the UN about the issue.

This is not a peaceful initiative, it is a blatant power grab. But of course, since it is China, nothing wrong with that from your POV.

D

Moves
02 Jan 21
1 edit

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Jan 21
4 edits

@Duchess64
Wow, you are so pro China you refuse to even admit they MADE artificial islands.
Do I actually have to post links to that. I can't believe someone as intelligent as you would not know what is going on down there and YES the Philippines ARE worried about the intrusion of the Chinese down there.

https://www.dw.com/en/philippines-unveils-images-of-chinese-island-building-on-disputed-shoal/a-19530919

So deny THIS.
You think they are building a theme park there?

https://amti.csis.org/island-tracker/china/

I guess this is all just American made anti China propaganda......

D

Moves
03 Jan 21

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
03 Jan 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Well, to be fair... the Dutch “artificial island” (never actually heard it called that before) is attached to their own mainland and not anywhere near England.

And the one in Saudi Arabia (is that where that crap is) is was built on request by that nation.

Never heard of this Philipine thing, myself.

What China has been doing to my knowledge is investing heavily in third world infra-structure. And surely this is a bid to gain contracts in the future, etc.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s at least more civilised that going in and demanding regime change... the preferred option of some other nations one might mention.

D

Moves
03 Jan 21

T

Moves
03 Jan 21
5 edits

Although the double standard you identify probably does represent hypocrisy on the part of many Westerners (who are no doubt motivated by the logic of "My enemy's enemy is my friend), could the following arguments not be made by someone who is in favour of Uyghur independence but not in favour of the independence of Eastern Ukraine?

1) The indigenous people of East Turkestan / Xinjiang are the Uyghurs. The indigenous people of the Donbass are the Ukrainians. Both regions were / are under the control of a larger polity that encouraged its dominant ethnic group (Han Chinese and Russians respectively) to move to the region in question partly in order to dilute its ethnic character and in the attempt to reduce the indigenous people to a minority. In both cases, the rights of the indigenous people should be favoured over those of the current or former overlords.

2) There is a large "homeland" for ethnic Russians, whereas there is no "homeland" for ethnic Uyghurs. Russians who wish to live in a Russian-majority country can move to Russia; there is no such option for people who wish to live in a Uyghur-majority country. (The latter point I think should carry weight on grounds of self-determination - for instance, I oppose the independence of the Donbass, but I'm broadly in favour of Abkhazia remaining independent from Georgia, since there is not otherwise an Abkhaz homeland).

3) The Habsburg and Ottoman empires broke up into their constituent nations after the First World War. The French and British empires disintegrated through the process of decolonisation after the Second World War. The Russian empire largely broke up into its constituent nations when the Soviet Union collapsed. The Mughal empire has at least partially broken up into one Hindu-majority state and two states for Indian Muslims. With the accidental exception of Taiwan, however, the Chinese empire remains so far intact.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
03 Jan 21

I have only ever objected to your:- Lies, Misrepresentation of what other posters post, blatant and ugly racism, and on occasion your utter imbecility / complete lack of analytical skills.