"China to overtake US as world's biggest economy by 2028, report predicts"

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
28 Dec 20

@athousandyoung said
European countries seem to be extremely popular with Africans fleeing Africa.
Indeed. they complain about how awful it is to live among white people, yet they keep trying to escape from their all black continent to get to Europe and North America.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
28 Dec 20
1 edit

@ashiitaka said
But it didn’t happen because Europeans are intrinsically worse than anyone else on the planet.

Never said that, of course. My body is mostly European. That doesn't mean that you can avoid talking about it, or pretend that accurately describing European crimes must be racism against Europeans.

European countries are not exactly popular in Africa, and it's not hard to see why.
I’m quite happy talking about it in context, it was a monstrosity. But I’d rather talk about it in humanistic rather than racial terms, because there is a greater prospect of generating more light than heat.
Why humans are so greedy and destructive towards each other, not to mention every other living thing on the planet, is a very important question.

A

RSA

Moves
28 Dec 20
3 edits

@athousandyoung said
Apparently the Mexican indigenous technology can't do it either since it isn't being done. I think that the population of Mexico City today has far better plumbing (Roman invention) supporting a much larger population (~8.8 million) than Tenochtitlan did (~300,000). I suppose if you really want you could grow food from the same water you defecate in, eat chihuahuas and engage in ritual cannibalism if you think that lifestyle is superior.
Tenochtitlan drank water from aqueducts, carried several kilometres across the lake from the hills at Chapultepec. Lake Texcoco, and even the western part when it was sealed off from the brackish water in Zumpango and Xaltocan, was still too salty to drink. Night soil was used to fertilize the chinampas.

Try again.

Drinking from the same water you defecate in? Europeans definitely didn't do that until relatively recently. No cholera or typhoid outbreaks at all...

Try again.

Aztecs bathed 2-4 times a day. Europeans didn't bathe properly until the 20th century.

Try again.

And no, the indigenous technology can't be used, since the lake is gone. And now Mexico City has no water, the area has become semi-arid, and it sinks at different rates such that the tunnels under the city are no longer elevated enough to drain the inflow. Amateurs.

D

Moves
28 Dec 20
1 edit

@ashiitaka said
Tenochtitlan drank water from aqueducts, carried several kilometres across the lake from the hills at Chapultepec. Lake Texcoco, and even the western part when it was sealed off from the brackish water in Zumpango and Xaltocan, was still too salty to drink. Night soil was used to fertilize the chinampas.

Try again.

Drinking from the same water you defecate in? Europe ...[text shortened]... es such that the tunnels under the city are no longer elevated enough to drain the inflow. Amateurs.
Oh bite it, Europe/North America/Western countries as a whole are FAR better off than the countries you seem to think so highly of.
There are over 20 countries in Central/South America, can you point to ANY one of them and say a latinized/hispanic Europe or US will be better off?
And for eff sake stop bringing up ancient history and say stupid stuff like "durhh...da aztecs bathed all the time 500 years ago"
It means absolutely nothing today.
Anyway 2000 years before that the Greeks and romans were bathing all the effing time.
Talk about TODAY and stop making these BS claims about the imagined superiority of the brown/black cultures, if they were so superior why did they get crushed by a handful of Europeans everywhere they went?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Dec 20
7 edits

@ashiitaka said

Try again.

Drinking from the same water you defecate in? Europe ...[text shortened]... es such that the tunnels under the city are no longer elevated enough to drain the inflow. Amateurs.
That’s right. Night soil was used in the chinampas. Try again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_soil

The term "night soil" is largely an outdated term, used in historical contexts. The modern term is "fecal sludge”

Castilian soap was the best in the world at the time. Try again.

If Mexico City has no water how do the 9 million people in the city survive? Do you really think Tenochtitlán could support a population like that with indigenous water management technology? They had more water per person because the population was so low compared to modern times. Try again.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Dec 20

@dood111 said
Oh bite it, Europe/North America/Western countries as a whole are FAR better off than the countries you seem to think so highly of.
There are over 20 countries in Central/South America, can you point to ANY one of them and say a latinized/hispanic Europe or US will be better off?
And for eff sake stop bringing up ancient history and say stupid stuff like "durhh...da aztecs ...[text shortened]... s, if they were so superior why did they get crushed by a handful of Europeans everywhere they went?
He is insulting Latin Hispanics IDK why you think he is in favor of them

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Dec 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_soil#Mexico_and_Central_America

Various Mesoamerican civilizations used human feces to fertilize their crops. The Aztecs, in particular, are well known for their famous chinampas, artificial islands made of mud and human waste used to grow crops that could be harvested up to seven times a year. Current research has placed the origins of chinampas in an Aztec town of Culhuacan in the year 1100 C.E.[7] They were constructed by first fencing an area between 30 m x 2.5 m and 91 m x 9 m, using wattle.[8][9] Then filled in with mud, sediment, feces and decaying vegetation

D

Moves
28 Dec 20

Yeah in 2028 China gonna be the biggest world economy....they should be, they have a population of 1.5 billion, so equaling the US with a population of 330 million is not like some big deal.
To really pass the US they should have an economy almost 5 times larger.

m

Moves
28 Dec 20

@dood111 said
Yeah in 2028 China gonna be the biggest world economy....they should be, they have a population of 1.5 billion, so equaling the US with a population of 330 million is not like some big deal.
To really pass the US they should have an economy almost 5 times larger.
Is it a contest for you ??

😏

Moves
28 Dec 20

@dood111 said
And for eff sake stop bringing up ancient history and say stupid stuff like "durhh...da aztecs ...[text shortened]... s, if they were so superior why did they get crushed by a handful of Europeans everywhere they went?
That was awesome 😉
👍

D

Moves
28 Dec 20
2 edits

A

RSA

Moves
28 Dec 20
1 edit

@kevcvs57 said
I’m quite happy talking about it in context, it was a monstrosity. But I’d rather talk about it in humanistic rather than racial terms, because there is a greater prospect of generating more light than heat.
Why humans are so greedy and destructive towards each other, not to mention every other living thing on the planet, is a very important question.
The problem is entitlement. As you have shown amply in this thread - because you had the better weapons (i.e. that you could do or take something), that that makes it inevitable, as though there's no reason to expect an iota of morality, restraint, or following 500 years of unimaginable destruction and suffering, at the very least some self-awareness. Europe is deeply sick with entitlement, in every way, at the expense of everyone else.

I'll say it one more time: Get over your fragile ego.

D

Moves
28 Dec 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Oh....My...GAWD!
I am soooo sorry....in 2018 China's population was listed as just over 1.4 Billion....
Excuuuuuse Meeee for saying that in 2020 it's 1.5 Billion.
Your level of suck is beyond comprehension.

D

Moves
28 Dec 20

D

Moves
28 Dec 20