http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26080886-12377,00.html
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 07:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This is one of many reasons why I don't like death sentences:

A US inmate was left waiting in the worst possible case of limbo today after executioners spent more than two hours trying to find a vein in which to inject a lethal dose.

Romell Broom was sentenced to death in an Ohio jail for the rape and murder of 14-year-old girl Tryna Middleton in Cleveland in 1984.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 07:56
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/09/13/z-apoh_deathpenalty_0913.ART_ART_09-13-09_B3_3AF2A5E.html

Daughter's rape, killing in 1984 haunts parents
    Convict faces lethal injection Tuesday
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:34 AM
    By Thomas J. Sheeran

(caption) Bessye Middleton holds a painting of her daughter, Tryna, who was raped and fatally stabbed on Sept. 21, 1984. The 14-year-old was walking home after a football game.

Romell Broom faces execution for the abduction, rape and killing of Tryna Middleton.
    EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It's been 25 years, and the painful memories linger of the day that Bessye Middleton's 14-year-old daughter was raped and stabbed to death.

Tryna Middleton was abducted at knifepoint on Sept. 21, 1984, while she was walking home from a Friday night football game with two friends.

The man convicted of her murder, Romell Broom, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Tuesday.

"It's been 25 years, and the pain has gotten a little bit better, but there is not a single day that I don't get up and think about her during some point in the day," said Bessye Middleton, 65.

Tryna's father, David Middleton, a retired auto worker, won't drive down the street where his daughter was abducted, and for years, he became nauseated on returning to a home filled with memories. Bessye Middleton will drive down the street where her daughter was taken only when she heads to church on Sundays.

On the day of the murder, Broom followed the girls in a slow-moving car. They sensed something wasn't right and turned up a different street to get home, Bessye Middleton said.

But Broom, who was familiar with the neighborhood, apparently guessed their detour and was waiting for them. He raped Tryna Middleton and stabbed her seven times, according to the attorney general's office.

Broom's preying on girls eventually caught up with him.

Three months later, Broom forced an 11-year-old girl into his car, but the victim's mother thwarted his escape by running after the car, which was stuck on ice, and yelling to her daughter to jump out.

Broom, 53, has a criminal record dating to when he was 13, including robbery, car theft and the rape in 1975 of his niece's 12-year-old baby sitter. He served 8 1/2 years of a seven- to 25-year rape sentence and was paroled four months before Tryna was killed.

"It's not that you want somebody's life to be taken from them, but he's trying to beat the system," she said in an even tone. "We had to suffer. He's had 25 years longer than her."
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    Veins hardly pop when the nervous system is in chaos.
  5. silicon valley
    Moves

your concern for broom's welfare is so touching.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 08:141 edit
    He should die in gaol, if that is the legal binding verdict. There's no justification for state sanctioned ritual killing.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 10:17
    Everyone: I wrote "This is one of many reasons why I don't like death sentences"
    I didn't write: "He is god's angel."

I'm against death sentence in every form, in any countries, of any reason.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 11:40
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

A US inmate was left waiting in the worst possible case of limbo today after executioners spent more than two hours trying to find a vein in which to inject a lethal dose.

Romell Broom was sentenced to death in an Ohio jail for the rape and murder of 14-year-old girl Tryna Middleton in Cleveland in 1984.
    Yes it must have been just awful for him.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:00
    Everyone: I wrote "This is one of many reasons why I don't like death sentences"
    I didn't write: "He is god's angel."

I'm against death sentence in every form, in any countries, of any reason.
    i am curious as to why this sorry excuse of space constitutes a reason to be against death sentence. if anything, broom is the perfect pro argument.

the link you provided really harms your argument. what was your argument for relating your position to this broom?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:10
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i am curious as to why this sorry excuse of space constitutes a reason to be against death sentence. if anything, broom is the perfect pro argument.

the link you provided really harms your argument. what was your argument for relating your position to this broom?
    Some says that a death sentence is humane. This link shows that it is not.
    Do *you* think that death sentences in general are humane?
    Do *you* think that this death sentences in particular was humane?
    This was as barbaric as any sharia stoning sentence.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:151 edit

That's a ridiculous reason to be against death sentences, but there are many good reasons to be against them.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:21
    Some says that a death sentence is humane. This link shows that it is not.
    Do *you* think that death sentences in general are humane?
    Do *you* think that this death sentences in particular was humane?
    This was as barbaric as any sharia stoning sentence.
    It's not humane big deal, neither were his crimes. No matter how you execute someone it's going to be considered inhumane by some so what?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:212 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That's a ridiculous reason to be against death sentences, but there are many good reasons to be against them.

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    It's not humane big deal, neither were his crimes. No matter how you execute someone it's going to be considered inhumane by some so what?
    Yes, I agree that he is not an angel.

Would the link be better if it pointed to a beautiful young lady that they had equally big problems to find a vein where they could put a needle in? If so we are discussing different things.

I'm against the death sentence. This link shows that it is not as humane as some says. Sharia stoning can also be humane if the first stone hits. Does that mean we whould use sharia laws in the future? No!

Death sentence is a left-over from the dark ages in humans history.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:30
    Yes, I agree that he is not an angel.

Would the link be better if it pointed to a beautiful young lady that they had equally big problems to find a vein where they could put a needle in? If so we are discussing different things.

I'm against the death sentence. This link shows that it is not as humane as some says. Sharia stoning can also be humane i ...[text shortened]... laws in the future? No!

Death sentence is a left-over from the dark ages in humans history.
    I don't know which part of this was addressed to me and which to Sam the Sham, but what I meant was that the possibility of failed executions is almost an insignificant reason in the whole debate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree