1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 13:39
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Some says that a death sentence is humane. This link shows that it is not.
    Do *you* think that death sentences in general are humane?
    Do *you* think that this death sentences in particular was humane?
    This was as barbaric as any sharia stoning sentence.
    "Some says that a death sentence is humane"
    i am curious who can claim this with a straight face. it is a member of the human race being murdered, reason not important. if we are not being cynical about our nature, murder goes against it. no normal human will murder another human without a strong incentive. we execute people because we simply give up on them, we want to remove them from society and forget they ever existed, even if it meanst we are killing an innocent person.

This was as barbaric as any sharia stoning sentence.
    well i find that rape and murder are a little different than adultery. moreover, the sharia stoning victim gets his head bludgeoned by big fukin rocks, this guy just had to sit in his chair, maybe had his arm punctured a few times.

my position on the death penalty isn't that important in this case, i was simply trying to suggest that your choice of "argument" is unfortunate.
    but since you ask, i am against death penalty. not because it is barbaric but because it is useless. no deterrent value and irreversible.
    it is much more merciful to kill someone in a quick and (mostly) painless way than to confine them for the rest of their miserable life in a 2 by 2 cell. no parole, no release, no exercise. no window. also an innocent person would have a lifetime of trying to gather evidence regarding his innocence.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:14
    This will just be another circular argument that solves nothing. People either believe in executing criminals or don't. No one will change anyone's mind.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:17
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    This will just be another circular argument that solves nothing. People either believe in executing criminals or don't. No one will change anyone's mind.
    No. Granted. But one can strive to get it discontinued, like they've done in Europe and, indeed, across most of the countries of the world.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:24
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    [b]"Some says that a death sentence is humane"
    i am curious who can claim this with a straight face. it is a member of the human race being murdered, reason not important. if we are not being cynical about our nature, murder goes against it. no normal human will murder another human without a strong incentive. we execute people because we simply give u ...[text shortened]... innocent person would have a lifetime of trying to gather evidence regarding his innocence.[/b]
    I think you and I are more agree then I first thought.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:37
    I don't know about that. People's minds do sometimes change on these issues.

I used to be in favor of the death penalty on the grounds that I believed it to be a deterrent, that particularly brutal murderers deserved to die and because I believed it exceedingly unlikely for an innocent person to be executed.

I have since changed my mind. I am no longer confident at all in its deterrent value and I now believe it likely that innocent people are executed on occasion. I still believe that brutal murderers deserve to die, but life imprisonment is also adequate punishment.

I'm not going to make a big deal about advocating one way or the other, but I'm now fine with abolishing the death penalty. I don't think it will hurt our society in any meaningful manner.

I'm not saying I changed my mind based in RHP message board discussion (I didn't), but people's opinions do change on occasion.
  6. cube# 6484
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This is one of many reasons why I don't like death sentences:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26080886-12377,00.html
    wouldn't have this problem if we still used the electric chair....
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:57
    like any debate on rhp and most debates in general. you don't debate to change someones mind, not on rhp anyway. you debate for fun.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:59
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    how is being fried better than being pinched with a needle?
  9. cube# 6484
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    how is being fried better than being pinched with a needle?
    my point is that with the one you dont have to worry about finding a vein...said problem would not exist.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:085 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't know about that. People's minds do sometimes change on these issues.

I used to be in favor of the death penalty on the grounds that I believed it to be a deterrent, that particularly brutal murderers deserved to die and because I believed it exceedingly unlikely for an innocent person to be executed.

I have since changed my mind. I am no longer co in RHP message board discussion (I didn't), but people's opinions do change on occasion.
    There are inherent problems with the current state of our prisons. They are over crowded and VERY costly. In a way, it in some ways masks yet another entitlement program in that respect. They demand food and shelter and medical care no matter the horrendous crimes they may have committed. As a result, I am in favor of policies that gravitate away from simply warehousing these criminals. Instead, why not make them pay up front and send them on their way? If nothing else, put them to work!! For example, what about the story of the kid in Asia who was caught writing grafetti and was lashed for it? In the states, he may have faced jail time as where over there they lashed him and sent him on his way. Some would call this barbaric, but you know what? The boy is doing just fine today, thank you very much, and I dare say NEVER did the same thing again. Also of note is their much lower crime rates. Of course, to take someones life is somewhat a different matter. In addition, not all cases are the same. Having said that, some I think DO deserve death as where others do not so to blindly say you are in favor or not in favor of the death penalty in general I think is negecting to assess the situation. For example, the Nazis at the Nurenburg trials that were hung. They had it com'in!! 😠
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:10
    What's wrong with firing squad?

That seems to be the most humane way of doing it.

Then again, I thought that they should have executed OJ at halftime of the Super Bowl by drowning him in a vat of Budweiser. Can you imagine what the ratings would have been like for that?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    There are inherent problems with the current state of our prisons. They are over crowded and VERY costly. In a way, it in some ways masks yet another entitlement program in that respect. They demand food and shelter and medical care no matter the horrendous crimes they may have committed. As a result, I am in favor of policies that gravitate away from sim ...[text shortened]... tion. For example, the Nazis at the Nurenburg trials that were hung. They had it com'in!! 😠
    That's all fine and good; but executions don't solve prison overcrowding; they exacerbate it. Large prison areas have to be set aside for death row inmates, who are housed in solitary instead of 2-4 to a cell. With 50 executions a year and a prison population in the millions, executions do not relieve overcrowding.

You want to give convicts the choice of taking a shorter sentence at hard labor instead of a longer sentence or something to that effect? I have no problem with it.
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:18
    Nevermind all those problems that occured with the electric chair, right?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:19
    [b]That's all fine and good; but executions don't solve prison overcrowding; they exacerbate it. Large prison areas have to be set aside for death row inmates, who are housed in solitary instead of 2-4 to a cell. With 50 executions a year and a prison population in the millions, executions do not relieve overcrowding.
    No they don't. Just put 2-4 of the death row inmates together.
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 15:23
    What's wrong with firing squad?

That seems to be the most humane way of doing it.

Then again, I thought that they should have executed OJ at halftime of the Super Bowl by drowning him in a vat of Budweiser. Can you imagine what the ratings would have been like for that?
    Anything that doesn't cause immediate death is barbaric and cruel.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree