Death sentence

Death sentence

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
17 Sep 09

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Well if we'rs so worried about them twitching or whatever just shoot them in the back of the head with a 12 gauge. They won't feel a thing.
the sensitive audience in the back might be appaulled by the blood squirting from an exploded head.

it is kinda hypocritical actually. all the death sentence supporters all scream for it but how many of them except the most psychotic would actually have the balls to actually pull the switch/give the injection, etc.

the issue isn't if they feel or not. who cares about that? do you think the psychological damage of "oh poop i am gonna die?" compares to a few seconds of whatever physical pain? nobody cares about the convicts. they only care about themselves and that is how much pain and gore is the audience going to watch. that is why they try and come up with less painful ways for the convict to die, so they fell good about themselves and rest in the thought "at least he died quickly", "he may have been innocent but he had a fair trial" etc.

death sentence is useless. deterrent value 0. irreversible. risk of killing innocents. no chance of rehabilitation. cynical aproach to undesirables.

jb

Moves
17 Sep 09

Well if we'rs so worried about them twitching or whatever just shoot them in the back of the head with a 12 gauge. They won't feel a thing.
Wouldn't even have to hire a physician to proclaim them as dead as it would be obvious to the layman. The cost of a 12 gauge shell would be less them paying a physician I would think.

silicon valley

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
the sensitive audience in the back might be appaulled by the blood squirting from an exploded head.

it is kinda hypocritical actually. all the death sentence supporters all scream for it but how many of them except the most psychotic would actually have the balls to actually pull the switch/give the injection, etc.

the issue isn't if they feel or not ...[text shortened]... risk of killing innocents. no chance of rehabilitation. cynical aproach to undesirables.
well, hey, they all volunteered to watch ....

Z

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by zeeblebot
well, hey, they all volunteered to watch ....
it is a classic case of having the cake and eating it and not get cream all over your shirt.

they all want pointless revenge for a particular act but they also want to brag to others how righteous and merciful they are. all the while concealing some very important issues like not caring for the rehabilitation of the convict or paying an extra dollar to keep that convict imprisoned for the rest of his miserable life.

silicon valley

Moves
18 Sep 09

who are "they" and why do you assume "they" want to be merciful?

Z

Moves
18 Sep 09

who are "they" and why do you assume "they" want to be merciful?
the supporters of death sentence and because they don't want to see someone get guillotined even if they support the death sentence.

silicon valley

Moves
18 Sep 09
1 edit

no doubt you could find many "the supporters of death sentence" who "don't want to see someone get guillotined", but that still leaves group B as a subset of group A. not all A's are in B.

Z

Moves
18 Sep 09

no doubt you could find many "the supporters of death sentence" who "don't want to see someone get guillotined", but that still leaves group B as a subset of group A. not all A's are in B.
the rest are psychos

STS

Moves
18 Sep 09

In 6 weeks they're going to execute this guy barring any last minute surprises.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8259319.stm

I think that's a good thing.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Sep 09

In 6 weeks they're going to execute this guy barring any last minute surprises.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8259319.stm

I think that's a good thing.
It's very early for him to be executed. I'm sure he'll get a stay. His execution may still be years away.

I will say though that if anyone is the poster child for the death penalty, it's him.

STS

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by sh76
It's very early for him to be executed. I'm sure he'll get a stay. His execution may still be years away.

I will say though that if anyone is the poster child for the death penalty, it's him.
I was surprised at the 7 year turn around too, but it seems he's used up all his appeals and I doubt the Supreme Court will hear his case or the governor will grant him clemency..

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
He should die in gaol, if that is the legal binding verdict. There's no justification for state sanctioned ritual killing.
Hear! Hear!

And... it's not 100% certain the mad did the crime.
At best all proof is of guilt is 99% certain. That means 1 in every 100 people didn't do it.

We really don't want to do anything we can't rectify when additional evidence pops up.

P

Moves
18 Sep 09

I have a boy 8 and a girl 5, if someone ever abducted them and had their way with my kids, and or other kids, I would not put them to death, quickly, I would torture the person ever so slowly for as long as I could keep that person alive. Crime is bad enough, this might sound wrong but it is the idea? A non personal crime, like car theft, business fraud, I could almost accept, but, rape, kidnapping, that is unacceptable. I believe people make mistakes and that is fine, certain actions like rape, I have no forgiveness for that.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by PawnCollecter
I have a boy 8 and a girl 5, if someone ever abducted them and had their way with my kids, and or other kids, I would not put them to death, quickly, I would torture the person ever so slowly for as long as I could keep that person alive. Crime is bad enough, this might sound wrong but it is the idea? A non personal crime, like car theft, business fr ...[text shortened]... eople make mistakes and that is fine, certain actions like rape, I have no forgiveness for that.
That's why we don't entrust sentencing to the victim or the victim's family. Punishment has to be based on logic, not emotion.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
18 Sep 09

Originally posted by shavixmir
Hear! Hear!

And... it's not 100% certain the mad did the crime.
At best all proof is of guilt is 99% certain. That means 1 in every 100 people didn't do it.

We really don't want to do anything we can't rectify when additional evidence pops up.
So if someone kills someone on tv, a million people see him do it, and he confesses, you are saying there is a 1% chance he didn't do it. Obviously math is not one of your strengths, but neither is thinking. Besides being considered the biggest moron on rhp you now have the distinction of having the dumbest post in the history of rhp. Congrats.