F-35

F-35

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
27 Feb 21

@wildgrass said
I think an overall reduction in the defense department budget would force at least some consideration of project costs and the value of such projects to American citizens.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Feb 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Sweden is also a partner, but it was being developed by BAe Systems before Italy and Sweden were involved. Consider the following points:

1) The Tornado is almost as old as I am.
2) New military kit often has teething problems. The Type 45 destroyer has a number of well publicised problems.
3) The F35 is expensive.
4) Budgets are always tight and there is considerable economic fallout from Covid 19.
5) The Tempest will not be available until 2035.

I think Britain's slow uptake of the F35 has more to do with points 2 to 4 than with a general reluctance to buy it. Points 1 and 5 rule it out as a stop gap. They'd buy Rafales or covert the Typhoon for ground attack operations for that purpose.

D

Moves
28 Feb 21
2 edits

D

Moves
28 Feb 21

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Feb 21

I'm aware that aircraft can fit into more than one role. The problem with the Tempest is that it won't be available for 15 years. The F35 is available now. Fifteen years is a long time and words like stopgap don't really mean anything on time periods that long. If it were expected to be available in the next five years you might have a point, although the RAF likes to operate more than one airframe, for fairly obvious reasons.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "Sweden is not comparable to Italy", which on its own sounds dismissive of Sweden, but you then go on to say that Sweden has "an independent arms industry that punches above its weight.", is Italy's arms industry not independent?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Feb 21
1 edit

The F-5 was one of America's military export success stories. Very popular craft, because of the low cost
It was introduced as a training craft but became the mainstay air fighter in several militaries.

w

Moves
28 Feb 21

@metal-brain said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4o4axYfuY
I have heard lots of outrage over the cost of the Mars rover project to find life ($2.5 billion) because we still have homeless people on Earth, but shouldn't we be working big to small if we think government expenditures are not in line with the best interests of its citizens?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Feb 21
1 edit

@wildgrass said
I have heard lots of outrage over the cost of the Mars rover project to find life ($2.5 billion) because we still have homeless people on Earth, but shouldn't we be working big to small if we think government expenditures are not in line with the best interests of its citizens?
A whole $2.5 billion? wow, what a rip off, eh?

Well, at least we can say that we learn something from such a mission and we are progressing.
That rover will be sending back data and photos for years to come.
How much of that can be said for the $721.5 billion we spend on the military annually?

D

Moves
28 Feb 21

D

Moves
28 Feb 21
2 edits

w

Moves
01 Mar 21

@earl-of-trumps said
A whole $2.5 billion? wow, what a rip off, eh?

Well, at least we can say that we learn something from such a mission and we are progressing.
That rover will be sending back data and photos for years to come.
How much of that can be said for the $721.5 billion we spend on the military annually?
Exactly. The benefits of space exploration seem obvious to me and they are gobs cheaper than military projects in which their own developers think it's been a failure.

Imagine what outer space would look like if we spent $721 billion annually? Colonies of humans on Neptune?

D

Moves
01 Mar 21
3 edits

w

Moves
01 Mar 21

Yes expensive. Like 1000 times more expensive than an unmanned Mars mission? Wouldn't that be a lot cooler than a jet that costs that much and is already obsolete?

D

Moves
01 Mar 21

w

Moves
01 Mar 21

Sure. Neptune was an extreme example. But do you think it might be possible to have boots on Mars if we'd invested the same amount into it as we are for the F35?