F-35

F-35

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
27 Feb 21

@shavixmir said
Damn, when I saw you’d posted on this thread, I was hoping you were going to write about secret alien technology, the highly secret F-227g being developed at Area 51 and sonic bubble-technology.

You always end up disappointing me.
I wouldn't want to disappoint you, Here.

https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/12/investigative-series/developers-of-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-tied-to-uk-eugenics-movement/

Feel better now?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
27 Feb 21

@metal-brain said
I wouldn't want to disappoint you, Here.

https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/12/investigative-series/developers-of-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-tied-to-uk-eugenics-movement/

Feel better now?
Hahaha

MB

Moves
27 Feb 21

@shavixmir said
Hahaha
There. Now you can deny it is true because you got it from me.
It is a bit off topic though. I wouldn't want to disappoint WG by digressing to much. This involves the military.

https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/10/investigative-reports/operation-warp-speed/

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Feb 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
The Tempest is intended as a replacement for the Eurofighter Typhoon, also as far as I know it won't have STOVL capability, so it won't be any use from a carrier. I think the British government would rather the F35 were a little cheaper.

D

Moves
27 Feb 21

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Feb 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Lockheed Martin have a habit of producing extremely expensive kit. I don't think the RAF regard the F35 as a stopgap, for one thing what are they going to replace it with? The Tempest won't be available for a decade, and in any case is more aimed at the interception/air superiority role.

The decision to buy the F35 was made under Labour, having contributed about 10% of the development costs the government's pretty committed to using it as the main Strike plane. The difficulty for the UK is that it's extremely expensive. It's entirely plausible that the F35B could be limited to the FAA and the RAF get a non-VTOL plane, but I don't think that that's the policy, unless there's been a statement from the MOD - as opposed to media speculation - that says otherwise, the policy is to use the F35 as the RAF's strike aircraft for the next twenty years or so.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
27 Feb 21

@DeepThought - that says otherwise, the policy is to use the F35 as the RAF's strike aircraft for the next twenty years or so.

Of course. It's not a "stop gap" effort.

I can't imagine buying 20 of the expensive crafts to hold them over until the
inexpensive ones are available. And what would they do with the F35 at that point, dump it?

No, the UK is committed. Only have 20? But if the F-35 was cheaper, they would have more.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
27 Feb 21

@earl-of-trumps said
But if the F-35 was cheaper, they would have more.
A great consequence of good sales has meant a steady reduction in the F-35's price. As its reputation grows and with that increased sales, who knows how cheap they could actually become.

One of the biggest obstacles to purchase has been the life cycle running cost which has been exacerbated by a scarcity of spare parts. Lockheed says those days are over so its a bit of a wait and see. Part of the purchasing dilemma is the Pentagons modelling of how many F-35s are actually needed, a number down somewhat on original estimates given the rise and efficacy of drones that can be deployed and function alongside the F-35. Something impossible to evaluate at the time of the F-35's inception given the state of drone development at that time.

w

Moves
27 Feb 21

@metal-brain said
I do too, but they are just corrupt puppets doing the bidding of the money changers. Know who is pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Oh, that's right....the share holders of the privately owned FRS is a secret.

A good first step is to make the shareholders of the FRS public. They are behind all of that crap.
I think an overall reduction in the defense department budget would force at least some consideration of project costs and the value of such projects to American citizens.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
27 Feb 21

@kmax87 said
A great consequence of good sales has meant a steady reduction in the F-35's price. As its reputation grows and with that increased sales, who knows how cheap they could actually become.

One of the biggest obstacles to purchase has been the life cycle running cost which has been exacerbated by a scarcity of spare parts. Lockheed says those days are over so its a bit of a wa ...[text shortened]... e to evaluate at the time of the F-35's inception given the state of drone development at that time.
I once read a compelling article about the overall cost of the expensive craft. The article said if you factor in purchase cost and cost of keeping it running, and get a final tally on cost per hour, you could get 2 cheaper jets for the same price as one expensive one, and do battler with more jets, albeit - not as sophisticated,

I see Turkey has been taken out of the F-35 loop and they want back in, badly.
UAE is buying 50 F-35's. So it does have its admirers.

D

Moves
27 Feb 21

D

Moves
27 Feb 21
2 edits

D

Moves
27 Feb 21

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
27 Feb 21

@Duchess64 - My original point was opposed to the claim that the UK is 'EAGER' to buy F-35s.
The UK's not 'eager' because of the F-35's high costs and general lack of operational
need beyond filling a requirement for STOVL aircraft to be used on aircraft carriers.

Lockheed Martin hopes that the UK will buy 138 F-35s. The UK has bought 20 so far.
I do NOT see any 'eagerness' in the UK to buy as many as 138 F-35s.

-----------------

An awful lot of unnecessary speculation there, Duchess64.
Why can't you just admit that the UK bought 20 F-35's and just let it go. You put
your own spin on it saying the Brits were reluctant to do so when you have no
substantiation to that opinion.

If you find it in print from a reliable source that the UK is unhappy with the F-35
purchases or that they do not intend to purchase any more F-35's, perhaps that
info might be interesting to include here. Maybe. But your thrust basically belongs in an Op-Ed piece.

D

Moves
27 Feb 21
3 edits