1. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:34
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    If people want to kill themselves, let them do it. Its their life they're ending.

Nobody should be held responsible for failing to prevent suicide.
    are you married? for how long?
    do you have chlidren? how old, and how many?

is it that simple?

is life that uncomplicated for you?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:462 edits
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Cpt Crunch?

too much sugar, guy

I'm wearing a Boston Red Sox hat and a Youklis jersey so my Bosox can keep up and pass the damned Yanks.

the debate, as I anticipated, is over whether one should seek a sum of money, for whatever reason, against a Dr, even a negligent one, under these sorts of circumstances.

I'm explaining best I can where my head is -- and I appreciate what others are doing to help out.

you, too. you made me smile.
    Glad to hear that, man. I hope you find resignation soon for the pain you and your loved ones are going through.

However, if you allow me a piece of advise, let me tell you: don't get angry nor engage in debate. By posting in the open forums personal stuff or matters that are close to your heart, you risk somebody saying something that may hurt you, willingly or not.

I'd recommend private forums instead, man. Unless you want to relese some steam.

Edit. My two cents: tort law was never my strong point at school, but I can say that you can may it this one fly. However, your chances of succeeding are not high, so try going quota litis.
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:50
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Glad to hear that, man. I hope you find resignation soon for the pain you and your loved ones are going through.

However, if you allow me a piece of advise, let me tell you: don't get angry nor engage in debate. By posting in the open forums personal stuff or matters that are close to your heart, you risk somebody saying something that may hurt you, willin ...[text shortened]... ly or not.

I'd recommend private forums instead, man. Unless you want to relese some steam.
    I'm used to it.

I'm a big boy now.

Anyone dumping on me over this can feel free -- but it says much about them and naught about me.

Why get angry?

It is just sad -- it is what it is.

that's where I am on it.

I understand the other comments and I'm making what I hope are unemotional, non angry replies.

but your advice is good -- never tried the private forum thing -- how does that work?
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:51
    I've been put unwillingly in the position of consulting an attorney over the question of whether to file suit against a psychologist for negligence in the death by suicide of one of her patients to whom I was related.

The claim would be based on the theory that as the psychologist knew from the patient's mouth that he was a danger to himself, and also kn ...[text shortened]... .

I'm not going to argue about any of this.

I'm just looking for thoughtful reactions,
    I don't know about the federal laws if any pertaining to doctor/client confidentiality. In my state the doctor must notify authorities in cases where there is danger of a person harming himself or others. That doesn't mean that the doctor is responsible for the act, or negligence on the doctors part for not reporting it makes him liable for damages. He may get into trouble, but it would be hard to prove that the individual wouldn't have committed suicide anyway even if in custody by a different means, or when released. It is a nuisance case.
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:53
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I don't know about the federal laws if any pertaining to doctor/client confidentiality. In my state the doctor must notify authorities in cases where there is danger of a person harming himself or others. That doesn't mean that the doctor is responsible for the act, or negligence on the doctors part for not reporting it makes him liable for damages. He ma ...[text shortened]... cide anyway even if in custody by a different means, or when released. It is a nuisance case.
    that's close to it.

It is a medical malpractice case on a negligence theory.

otherwise, you are right -- you need something clear to show the Dr dropped the ball.

bottom line here, in my view, not worth going there.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 15:551 edit
    I'm used to it.

I'm a big boy now.

Anyone dumping on me over this can feel free -- but it says much about them and naught about me.

Why get angry?

It is just sad -- it is what it is.

that's where I am on it.

I understand the other comments and I'm making what I hope are unemotional, non angry replies.

but your advice is good -- never tried the private forum thing -- how does that work?
    Sorry, I made an edit after your reply, with my two cents re: your case.

Re: private forum, join a clan with an active private forum, one where a member is someone you like.
  7. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 16:052 edits
    Sorry, I made an edit after your reply, with my two cents re: your case.

Re: private forum, join a clan with an active private forum, one where a member is someone you like.
    what, join a clan?

I can't play a gazillion games a day!

I need more time per move -- I'm old, creaky that way

speedy chess ain't my bag, man

edit: they won't take it just for a 40% stake in a chance at a win; got to pay back what they put out -- and that's a lot, too much

and I don't want money over this

not a penny
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 16:112 edits
    what, join a clan?

I can't play a gazillion games a day!

I need more time per move -- I'm old, creaky that way

speedy chess ain't my bag, man

edit: they won't take it just for a 40% stake in a chance at a win; got to pay back what they put out -- and that's a lot, too much

and I don't want money over this

not a penny
    The middle class dilemma: too rich to qualify for legal aid, too poor to afford private legal service.

I hear you, man. Perhaps a friend or relative of yours is in the law profession?

Edit. Another option, if you want no penny out of this, is to search for an NGO gathering people who have a grief against shrinks or the whole medical profession for negligence. They can orientate you better or even grab the issue as theirs.

Also, if nothing: try complaining formally against the shrink at his/her association, and send copies to media.
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 16:25
    are you married? for how long?
    do you have chlidren? how old, and how many?

is it that simple?

is life that uncomplicated for you?
    If people want to kill themselves its their choice, not mine, not yours, not anybody else's.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 17:44
    I've been put unwillingly in the position of consulting an attorney over the question of whether to file suit against a psychologist for negligence in the death by suicide of one of her patients to whom I was related.

The claim would be based on the theory that as the psychologist knew from the patient's mouth that he was a danger to himself, and also kn ...[text shortened]... .

I'm not going to argue about any of this.

I'm just looking for thoughtful reactions,
    Let me guess, the psychologist was a Republican and Bush supporter.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 17:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    Let me guess, the psychologist was a Republican and Bush supporter.
    c'mon, Bush was OK.
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 19:00
    Originally posted by Redrocket
    No. Its 7ate9.
    welcome back ...
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 19:21
    the leading local firm was consulted. remember, I'm a lawyer and I know a tort is not a dessert.
    show the wife the prior similar cases. what's the consensus? do these kinds of cases succeed at all? did she go to all the attorney consulations?
  14. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 19:27
    Scriabin: By holding the psychologist responsible tells me that your family has not yet accepted the death of your son. They're still in some sort of denial. They need to let go. I would suggest a meeting with the pshcholigist where your family can yell and scream at her for not preventing your son's suicide. Let it all out, the psychologist will understand. Cry your eyes out till there are no more tears to shed. Then give the psychologist a big hug. Tell her thanks for all she tried to do for you son and let it go. Don't let three years turn into 30.

Please keep in mind that i got my PhD in Psychology from Ding Dong School.

GRANNY.
  15. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 19:39
    The middle class dilemma: too rich to qualify for legal aid, too poor to afford private legal service.

I hear you, man. Perhaps a friend or relative of yours is in the law profession?

Edit. Another option, if you want no penny out of this, is to search for an NGO gathering people who have a grief against shrinks or the whole medical profession for negli ...[text shortened]... g: try complaining formally against the shrink at his/her association, and send copies to media.
    no, I don't want to even do that.

I, myself, am not concerned with either the Drs or the ex-girlfriend whose letter sent him into a spiral.

no point in all that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree