Government shut down!!

Government shut down!!

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
07 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by wittywonka
Why would you joke about something like this? Do you find the prospect of leaving several hundred thousand Americans temporarily unemployed to be amusing?
If the truth be known, I find the whole bickering nothing more than pre-planned partisan posturing. After all, the Dems could have......no, should have passed a budget last fall before the GOP took over. Instead, they passed the buck. Now that the GOP in control of the House, they are pretending that they are getting tough on spending when their proposal is only 1.6% of the deficit.

If you ask me, both parties deserve each other.

F

Moves
07 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
So how many do you figure will die FMF?
I myself haven't suggested that I think anyone will die. It is you who is giving us the sneering sarcastic commentary. You talk so much about how you wish to see a change of tone and action in Washington DC. One wonders how many people want the discourse to change to the snide puerile tone that you offer us and seem to relish so unselfconsciously.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by Eladar
Exactly. That's why Kaz's statement is untrue. A majority of people who do not have health insurance will not die due to the fact that they don't have it.

The government shut down means nothing to a vast majority of people. Even if people lost their government health care for a period of time, most wouldn't notice it.
The evidence is that 100% of people die whether or not they have health insurance.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by whodey
Whodey likes both people dying in the streets and unemployment.
Hyperbole, much? Your throw-away comments sure must make it easy to hide in that untouchable box of yours.

F

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by wittywonka
Hyperbole, much? Your throw-away comments sure must make it easy to hide in that untouchable box of yours.
A strange kind of vanity it is that whodey parades. On one hand he seems to revel in playing the "lying hypocritical partisan worm", as he himself puts it on the previous page of this thread, and yet he comes out mewling about being treated unfairly when people confront him for the deceitful or misanthropic/sarcastic content of his posts

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
A strange kind of vanity it is that whodey parades. On one hand he seems to revel in playing the "lying hypocritical partisan worm", as he himself puts it on the previous page of this thread, and yet he comes out mewling about being treated unfairly when people confront him for the deceitful or misanthropic/sarcastic content of his posts
My favorite example is the one below (1/23/11 -- Thread 137207).
We were having a legitimate discussion about the appropriate roles of federal
government and state government, with respect to education and health care, and
then... WHAM!

Originally posted by whodey:

"So you are in love with big government. I get it. You like the idea of President
Obama having a hand in everything from educating your children to what doctor
you are going to see. I have to admit, it is kind of nice to have someone hold your
hand every day, but then, I wish it were at least a good looking female."

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
07 Apr 11

Also, whodey-- how would democrats have passed a budget bill without 60 senators?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
Misanthropic huh? isn't it the control freaks that have a low opinion of their fellow man, that feel he can not be trusted with his own life, if there's any misanthropy its from the busybodies. They love their fellow man so much they need to wave a stick at him.

F

Moves
07 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Wajoma
Misanthropic huh? isn't it the control freaks that have a low opinion of their fellow man, that feel he can not be trusted with his own life, if there's any misanthropy its from the busybodies. They love their fellow man so much they need to wave a stick at him.
I "love my fellow man so much" that I am happy that the government - comprising representatives that we freely choose to act upon our behalves - "waves a stick" at (or even lands blows on) powerful entities and sociopaths who threaten the safety and security of the community through things like force and fraud. I understand you fully when you claim that these protections, reached through consensus, and not necessarily through unanimous support, constitute 'misanthropy'.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
I "love my fellow man so much" that I am happy that the government - comprising representatives that we freely choose to act upon our behalves - "waves a stick" at (or even lands blows on) powerful entities and sociopaths who threaten the safety and security of the community through things like force and fraud. I understand you fully when you claim that these pr ...[text shortened]... hrough consensus, and not necessarily through unanimous support, constitute 'misanthropy'.
Likes to make out he stands against force and fraud but it is precisely force that is needed to make reluctant people fund willie waving venues, cowboy poetry readings, his idea of a food certification buratcracy etc, etc etc.

Too bad I'm here to keep him honest.

F

Moves
07 Apr 11
1 edit

Likes to make out he stands against force and fraud but it is precisely force that is needed to make reluctant people fund willie waving venues, cowboy poetry readings, his idea of a food certification buratcracy etc, etc etc.

Too bad I'm here to keep him honest.
Sorry that you don't feel free, Wajoma. But just pay your taxes please. I will worry about your feelings of political impotence when enough of you band together to distort the democratic mechanisms in your favour. As I have said, I predict a dystopia of cholera, barbed wire, and private sector jackboots deterring collective action that might impinge on vested economic interests.

But, we disagree about what your vision is, I know. You like to avoid questions that might pin you down on specifics.

As for your apparent opposition to democracy and your tax=slavery inanities:

On democracy It's something called 'right' and 'wrong' and it is something to care about, it is not determined by a show of hands, the loudest bleating form the biggest mob of sheep who happen to be over a certain age living within certain boundary lines scratched in the dirt.

The STILL unanswered question, after weeks and weeks of asking it:

No one who argues that representative democracy is perfect. You propose that taxation and budgeting are decided and implemented by unelected people? If tax rates are not to be set by the democratic mechanism [your "a show of hands"], then how?

See Thread 138399

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
http://theshuffle.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/06-pink-102307.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xZJJnE--nE8/TNbjuXGBKII/AAAAAAAABPE/1QkCDYX72EA/s1600/Geldof_wall.jpg

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
That would be this fellow . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roger_Waters_18_May_2008_London_O2_Arena.jpg
Actually, it's this fellow:

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/21/2183/DFPCD00Z/art-print/pink-anderson-medicine-show-man-vol-2.jpg

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
07 Apr 11

A serious subject and we only retort to whodey's silly sarcasm. You may as well be in the Senate, whodey.

F

Moves
07 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by badmoon
A serious subject and we only retort to whodey's silly sarcasm. You may as well be in the Senate, whodey.
And you only comment on the retorts to whodey's silly sarcasm despite the serious subject. You may as well be in the media, badmoon.