1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 15:10
    There is a new realization among large corporations that they have hired based on race and gender, etc., instead of on merit. A recent survey shows the percentage of new hires at the Fortune 500, who are white heterosexual males, is somewhere between 2% and 6%. As a result, these companies now have a lack of skills problem. They now have a whole layer of diversity hires, who do not have the educational skills to perform up to what the modern corporation needs.
    Further, now that they hired these people, they cannot fire them, or they get a discrimination lawsuit, and Labor Depaartment problems.
    Companies are waking up the fact that being 'Woke' is bad for business. Duh. Being Woke is damaging to success.
    Liberals are inherently not productive, so this factoid will mean nothing to them. Absolutely nothing.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 15:54
    @AverageJoe1

For purposes of debate, what does 'woke' mean? What is the definition?
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 16:071 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    There is a new realization among large corporations that they have hired based on race and gender, etc., instead of on merit. A recent survey shows the percentage of new hires at the Fortune 500, who are white heterosexual males, is somewhere between 2% and 6%. As a result, these companies now have a lack of skills problem. They now have a whole layer of diversity hires, ...[text shortened]... erals are inherently not productive, so this factoid will mean nothing to them. Absolutely nothing.
    They have a lack of skills because idiots like yourself do not see the false economy in starving the public school system of funds and reducing it to a culture war battleground in order to con and scare swing voter parents into voting for the fascist junta party ( GOP ) in the next election
  4. Garner, NC
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 16:50
    @wildgrass said
    @AverageJoe1

For purposes of debate, what does 'woke' mean? What is the definition?
    Wokeism is weaponized personal grievances masquerading as a genuine social concern. It's defined by its fraudulent nature, as being distinct from legitimate social grievances.

Being offended has been incentivized in the West. Being woke entails taking offense as a kind of weapon. The person claiming to have been offended, as long as it is not a white cis male wields tremendous political power. We are witnessing today a kind of contest to see who can be the most offended by any traditional institution.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 17:03
    @techsouth said
    Wokeism is weaponized personal grievances masquerading as a genuine social concern. It's defined by its fraudulent nature, as being distinct from legitimate social grievances.

Being offended has been incentivized in the West. Being woke entails taking offense as a kind of weapon. The person claiming to have been offended, as long as it is not a white cis male wields tr ...[text shortened]... tnessing today a kind of contest to see who can be the most offended by any traditional institution.
    Yes, and I hate to break it to you, but the horse is out of the barn. There is no turning this misery around. The libs (woke, et al) will prevail, and win in the end.
    The real question is, win what.

I think that the glib post of Wildgrass just above is implying, what ... that it doesn't exist? Millions of people think it exists.
  6. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 17:06
    @kevcvs57 said
    They have a lack of skills because idiots like yourself do not see the false economy in starving the public school system of funds and reducing it to a culture war battleground in order to con and scare swing voter parents into voting for the fascist junta party ( GOP ) in the next election
    I would have to disagree about the school system not doing a good job. If you libs would not TOUCH the system, it could go along peacefully as it has for many many decades. I wonder why libs had to go headlong into changing the system.
    Uhhhh, Kev? Did we conservatives do it? Which group did it, Kev?
  7. Garner, NC
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 17:15
    @averagejoe1 said
    Yes, and I hate to break it to you, but the horse is out of the barn. There is no turning this misery around. The libs (woke, et al) will prevail, and win in the end.

I think that the glib post of Wildgrass just above is implying, what ... that it doesn't exist? Millions of people think it exists.
    Agreed. I don't doubt the good intentions of the majority, but at the end of this road of "good intentions" lies misery on a grand scale. I don't see a way to stop it at this point.
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 17:22
    @techsouth said
    Agreed. I don't doubt the good intentions of the majority, but at the end of this road of "good intentions" lies misery on a grand scale. I don't see a way to stop it at this point.
    Consider that these (dependents, whatever they are,) see no problem with everyone being dumbed down to the same social status. To us, we will likely find that status polluted while they will find it pure, as long as they all she the same misery..

Hey, will we all still have a choice of about 300 types of cereal? My wife likes gluten free.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 17:491 edit
    @techsouth
    Where did that definition come from? Do you think DeSantis version of Woke is what the country needs to heal from the stark years of Trump? Instead of attacking the real problems of the US right now, repubs are going We need to eliminate abortion,

We need to put drag queens in jail, We need to arrest women crossing state lines to get abortions, meanwhile the health system is in crisis, two wars going on and repubs don't give a crap if Ukraine gets destroyed by Putin.
    Not caring or maybe condoning the push of Putin to rebuild the former Soviet empire, do any of them actually realize he came up from being a KGB agent?

So they want to kill the inflation reduction act, even though it is working, our inflation is the lowest of any of the G20 countries, like UK is up to near 10% while ours is running under 4%, gas prices are actually falling but when prices go up, BIDEN'S fault, when prices go down, just normal business.
    Meanwhile Trump has his cold hand controlling repubs now, like the dude who actually thought Biden won gets kicked out of being speaker BECAUSE he thought Biden won, therefore Trump rejects him and then the rest of the cult just falls over and plays dead.

Now our speaker is a Christian nationalist whose goal is to make Christianity the state religion and put Jews and Muslims on reservations and make ANY abortion illegal.t
    Too bad if the mom dies in birth, we BY GOD saved that precious infant.
    All repubs can think about now is reducing spending, which means killing medicare, killing social security which they hate with a passion.

The only way out is to get rid of the Trump cultists and make sure Trump never rules the repub party EVER again, then maybe we can get republicans who can actually work with democrats again, which stopped dead in the water when Newt Gingrich taught repubs to NEVER deal with democrats.

That era has to change, there is nothing wrong with a 2 party system as long as they actually debate, fight it out on the floor, and then come to a compromise like we HAD been doing for the last 200 years but not now, even LOOKING at a democrat is asking for the end of your repub political career.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:20
    @techsouth said

Being offended has been incentivized in the West. Being woke entails taking offense as a kind of weapon. The person claiming to have been offended, as long as it is not a white cis male wields tr ...[text shortened]... tnessing today a kind of contest to see who can be the most offended by any traditional institution.
    So if a company doesn't hire mostly white males, they are being fraudulent?

How is that not a purely racist mindset?
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:21
    @averagejoe1 said
    There is a new realization among large corporations that they have hired based on race and gender, etc., instead of on merit. A recent survey shows the percentage of new hires at the Fortune 500, who are white heterosexual males, is somewhere between 2% and 6%. As a result, these companies now have a lack of skills problem. They now have a whole layer of diversity hires, ...[text shortened]... erals are inherently not productive, so this factoid will mean nothing to them. Absolutely nothing.
    Maybe it's not a lack of skills so much as a lack of incentives to make the people at the top richer.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:22
    @averagejoe1 said

Millions of people voted for Donald Trump, too. So much for their white male wisdom.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:241 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    I would have to disagree about the school system not doing a good job. If you libs would not TOUCH the system, it could go along peacefully as it has for many many decades. I wonder why libs had to go headlong into changing the system.
    Uhhhh, Kev? Did we conservatives do it? Which group did it, Kev?
    The charter school system was created by conservatives as a way to siphon off money from government to private pockets. Also known as 'privatization'.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:30
    @sonhouse said
    @techsouth
    Where did that definition come from? Do you think DeSantis version of Woke is what the country needs to heal from the stark years of Trump? Instead of attacking the real problems of the US right now, repubs are going We need to eliminate abortion,

We need to put drag queens in jail, We need to arrest women crossing state lines to get abortions, meanwhile the ...[text shortened]... years but not now, even LOOKING at a democrat is asking for the end of your repub political career.
    Well-said.

Yes, they're all about 'reducing spending' unless the money is going to their rich white buddies.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '23 18:36
    @techsouth said

We've tried this definition before. It didn't work. Putting aside the contradictions within the definition, like the fact that grievances in general are not necessarily fraudulent, your definition is way too broad.

Your definition encompasses right wing grievances too? Because it doesn't seem like that's what Joe's talking about.

I think you're all just using woke and progressive as synonyms. So just call it that. Stop beating the bush with vague feelings about what "being offended" means to a white male.

Progressivism. That's what your mad about

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree