1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 17:081 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    Or they might have lost an unfair election, legitimizing Maduro's victory.
    The claim that the election was "unfair" is pretty unconvincing. What evidence supports such an assertion?

BY refusing to contest the election, they left no legal avenues to remove Maduro. IF they want violence and civil war, it was a good move; if they want Maduro out short of such measures, it was a poor one.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 17:22
    Considering that turnout in 2018 was a mere 46.1% (and a 1/3 of those voted against Maduro) while 2013 turnout was 80%, it seems highly likely that Maduro would have been defeated if the opposition hadn't boycotted esp. if they had united behind one candidate. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/21/venezuela-elections-nicolas-maduro-wins-second-term

This whole crisis could well have been averted.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 17:29
    @no1marauder said
    The claim that the election was "unfair" is pretty unconvincing. What evidence supports such an assertion?

BY refusing to contest the election, they left no legal avenues to remove Maduro. IF they want violence and civil war, it was a good move; if they want Maduro out short of such measures, it was a poor one.
    There were certainly problems with the 2018 election; some major opposition figures were barred from running for various reasons. [...] The claim that the election was "unfair" is pretty unconvincing.

?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 17:342 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    There were certainly problems with the 2018 election; some major opposition figures were barred from running for various reasons. [...] The claim that the election was "unfair" is pretty unconvincing.

?
    Those comments are not contradictory; there can be "problems" with an election yet the resulting election might not be "unfair". It is a "problem" that Donald Trump could win an election for US President while getting 3 million less votes but that doesn't mean the election was "unfair" in the sense of being illegitimate.

I don't think Capriles and the others should have been banned from running, but as far as the actual election I don't see convincing evidence that it was run in a way that would have made Maduro's victory a foregone conclusion.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 19:49
    @metal-brain said
    Nope. Alex Jones is a Trump supporter and a traitor to his own cause. I don't like him at all.
    Oh, I dunno, most of your conspiracy theories are as stupid as his.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 02:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 03:12
    @suzianne said
    Oh, I dunno, most of your conspiracy theories are as stupid as his.
    I don't recall expressing a conspiracy theory on this thread. What are you talking about?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 13:22
    @metal-brain said
    I don't recall expressing a conspiracy theory on this thread. What are you talking about?
    Oh, I dunno, MB, light up another one.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 14:19
    @suzianne said
    Oh, I dunno, MB, light up another one.
    Was it this?

"Empires are like organized crime"

That is not a conspiracy theory, it is an observation.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 15:513 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Was it this?

"Empires are like organized crime"

That is not a conspiracy theory, it is an observation.
    Well, you did end that paragraph like an extremist would, saying a specific individual should have been executed.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '19 17:38
    @js357 said
    Well, you did end that paragraph like an extremist would, saying a specific individual should have been executed.
    Kissinger advised Nixon to overthrow a democratically elected leader and replace him with Pinochet, a brutal dictator. People were killed in that coup, then there were subsequent killings to brutally oppress.

That doesn't deserve execution? How is my wanting Kissinger to face justice extreme?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/12/chile.pinochet

https://www.smh.com.au/world/why-the-law-wants-a-word-with-kissinger-20020430-gdf8k1.html

https://sanjuanhorseshoe.com/kissingers-extradition-to-uruguay-sought-over-operation-condor/
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 05:00
    https://www.globalresearch.ca/huge-defeat-for-imperialists-the-u-s-broke-its-teeth-in-venezuela/5672236
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 09:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    True; nevertheless, "not the same" is not the same thing as "none at all", and all the legitimacy Gaudio has is that of Batista: the CIA supports him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree