1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 14:21
    @ogb said
    July 4th is for patriotic Americans, not for protesters !
    So protesting against the burning of a flag is unpatriotic then
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 15:181 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    So protesting against the burning of a flag is unpatriotic then
    Woops, misread you,

not unpatriotic. Just an expression of disagreement.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:22
    @no1marauder said
    Columbus took a swim in Baltimore. https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-columbus-statue-20200705-xc4bhthfhjaflifz72org2lrhy-story.html

I wonder if he could swim; I read a book on Magellan's circumnavigation of the globe which said that few sailors on Spanish ships were able to.
    http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2014/05/famous-sailors-who-couldnt-swim.html#:~:text=A%20few%20early%20seafarers%20were,boat%20or%20in%20the%20water.

A few early seafarers were famously good swimmers. In a narrative of his father’s life, the son of Christopher Columbus reported that his father had jumped from a burning ship during a sea battle, swimming several miles to shore, while most of his companions, unable to swim, either died on the boat or in the water.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:38
    @athousandyoung said
    http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2014/05/famous-sailors-who-couldnt-swim.html#:~:text=A%20few%20early%20seafarers%20were,boat%20or%20in%20the%20water.

A few early seafarers were famously good swimmers. In a narrative of his father’s life, the son of Christopher Columbus reported that his father had jumped from a burning ship during a sea battle, swimming seve ...[text shortened]... ore, while most of his companions, unable to swim, either died on the boat or in the water.
    Not the most reliable source; Eric Trump's biography of the Donald will probably say the Great One swan across the Atlantic every morning before Fox and Friends.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:56
    @athousandyoung said

A few early seafarers were famously good swimmers. In a narrative of his father’s life, the son of Christopher Columbus reported that his father had jumped from a burning ship during a sea battle, swimming seve ...[text shortened]... ore, while most of his companions, unable to swim, either died on the boat or in the water.
    It would be even difficult for people who could swim once they hit that cold water. To swim several miles in it is very difficult to believe.

-VR
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 21:021 edit
    @very-rusty said
    It would be even difficult for people who could swim once they hit that cold water. To swim several miles in it is very difficult to believe.

-VR
    Why?

I knew a guy that was a Cuban Olympic swimmer. When he got his chance,
    he swam from Cuba to Florida to make good his escape.

EDIT TO ADD
    Ever notice how when the people of free countries leave, they are called emigres.
    But when you leave a communist country you are called an escapee. Hmmmm
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 21:19
    @no1marauder said
    Columbus took a swim in Baltimore. https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-columbus-statue-20200705-xc4bhthfhjaflifz72org2lrhy-story.html

I wonder if he could swim; I read a book on Magellan's circumnavigation of the globe which said that few sailors on Spanish ships were able to.
    Few sailors in WW1 or maybe even WW2 could swim well.
    "Able Seaman" means able to swim!
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 22:15
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Why?

I knew a guy that was a Cuban Olympic swimmer. When he got his chance,
    he swam from Cuba to Florida to make good his escape.
    I guess we shouldn't be surprised in the gullibility
    of someone who believes in little green men!

Diana Nyad
    In 2013, on her fifth attempt and at age 64, she became the first
    person confirmed to swim from Cuba to Florida without the aid
    of a shark cage, swimming from Havana to Key West.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Nyad
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 22:18
    @Earl-of-Trumps
    Ah, so Columbo must have been an Olympian level swimmer then, Didn't know that.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 10:43
    @wolfgang59 said
    Few sailors in WW1 or maybe even WW2 could swim well.
    "Able Seaman" means able to swim!
    I don't think that's true. Ability to swim was never a requirement. Neither of the two Wikipedia pages mentions that and the one about merchant ABs mentions a folk etymology that had it as short for Able Bodied Seaman, but that's incorrect as well. Able just means competent and more experienced than Ordinary Seaman, it was originally a pay grade in the Royal Navy, the requirement was two years service.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Jul '20 03:16
    @deepthought said
    I don't think that's true. Ability to swim was never a requirement. Neither of the two Wikipedia pages mentions that and the one about merchant ABs mentions a folk etymology that had it as short for Able Bodied Seaman, but that's incorrect as well. Able just means competent and more experienced than Ordinary Seaman, it was originally a pay grade in the Royal Navy, the requirement was two years service.
    The able seamen stay on the boat. It's the amateurs who fall in the drink.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    09 Jul '20 03:42
    @soothfast said
    Violate uncounted laws of physics and a few of computer science?
    Windows 95's finest hour. 😆
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jul '20 03:55
    @deepthought said
    I don't think that's true. Ability to swim was never a requirement.
    Yep. Looks like I was 100% wrong!
    Thanks for enlightening me.
    😆

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree