1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 02:05
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The early war went poorly for the colonists. But Cornwallis was beaten by Yorktown.
    I am not disagreeing that the British were gonna lose anyway, but without the french blockade the Brits could have resupplied Yorktown indefinitely and who knows.

The fact is the Rebels had right on their side, and you would be surprised how many Brits agreed with them.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 02:30
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I am not disagreeing that the British were gonna lose anyway, but without the french blockade the Brits could have resupplied Yorktown indefinitely and who knows.

The fact is the Rebels had right on their side, and you would be surprised how many Brits agreed with them.
    We both know the effectiveness of militia warfare, today called unconventional. People defending their homeland have a lot more to fight for than mercenaries fighting on foreign soil.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 05:40
    We both know the effectiveness of militia warfare, today called unconventional. People defending their homeland have a lot more to fight for than mercenaries fighting on foreign soil.
    George Washington disagreed:

To place any dependence upon militia is assuredly resting upon a broken staff. Men just dragged from the tender scenes of domestic life, unaccustomed to the din of arms, totally unacquainted with every kind of military skill ... makes them timid and ready to fly from their own shadows.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to the President of Congress, Sep. 24, 1776
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 06:40
    I'm not adverse to funding so that armed police can patrol schools though it would be an expensive undertaking. I am opposed to that duty being pawned off to citizen volunteers or private contractors.

I also continue to support the abolition of large capacity mags though not an "assault rifle" ban.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 07:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm not adverse to funding so that armed police can patrol schools though it would be an expensive undertaking. I am opposed to that duty being pawned off to citizen volunteers or private contractors.

I also continue to support the abolition of large capacity mags though not an "assault rifle" ban.
    Yeah, armed police everywhere. Don't forget:

Movie theaters
    Sikh temples
    Gatherings at parking lots
    Malls
    Burger joints
    Office buildings
    etc. etc.

Of course, two armed sheriffs were present at Columbine at the time of that massacre, and neither succeeded in taking out the assailants.

A "good guy" was present with a gun at the melee in Arizona when Loughner went crazy, but he didn't shoot because he couldn't get a clean shot. If he had started shooting the death count could well have been one or two higher.

It's time for the NRA to be in the crosshairs. It's time to decimate the NRA as a political power. Break it, and leave it a shadow of its former self.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 09:35
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Yeah, armed police everywhere. Don't forget:

Movie theaters
    Sikh temples
    Gatherings at parking lots
    Malls
    Burger joints
    Office buildings
    etc. etc.

Of course, two armed sheriffs were present at Columbine at the time of that massacre, and neither succeeded in taking out the assailants.

A "good guy" was present with a gun at the melee in Arizo ...[text shortened]... cimate the NRA as a political power. Break it, and leave it a shadow of its former self.
    There's no proposal that will insure that there will never be another mass shooting. The presence of armed police does deter these incidents, however.

I'm less interested in political power plays and more interested in reducing the chance that more six year olds get slaughtered. If your priorities are different, they are misplaced.
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:02
    There is a strong likelihood that the presence of an armed person would deter most nuts away from schools to softer targets.

Detroit Public Schools have guards and metal detectors. Any shooting is always outside the schools.
    Actually being on a school premises is probably not high up on the priority list of anyone contemplating such a crime. By doing this surely all you do is move the atrocity to a different location.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:05
    There's no proposal that will insure that there will never be another mass shooting. The presence of armed police does deter these incidents, however.

I'm less interested in political power plays and more interested in reducing the chance that more six year olds get slaughtered. If your priorities are different, they are misplaced.
    I have no objection in principle to having armed guards around, but won't loony shooters just always pick some public place where there aren't any around? I don't think it's feasible to put armed guards everywhere. Just seems like a huge waste of money to buy some faux security.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I have no objection in principle to having armed guards around, but won't loony shooters just always pick some public place where there aren't any around? I don't think it's feasible to put armed guards everywhere. Just seems like a huge waste of money to buy some faux security.
    Schools and children are particularly vulnerable. I don't think protecting them better is a "huge waste of money".
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:11
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Actually being on a school premises is probably not high up on the priority list of anyone contemplating such a crime. By doing this surely all you do is move the atrocity to a different location.
    There have been 12 mass shootings at schools in the US over the last 30 years of 62 overall. They are the second likeliest place for such atrocities to occur (behind only workplaces). http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map
  11. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:17
    How likely is it that the US is going to suffer a military invasion ? For the same reason that I would not stake my life on a game against Magnus which country has their brains so boiled as to attempt to invade the US ? You cannot include acts of terrorism on or off US soil which is not the same as an invasion and is unlikely to be countered by armed militia. Google tells me the last time this happened was 1815. What's more it would have to happen in such a short time frame that the militia could not be armed by arrival at military establishments.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:24

In the real world political power plays are unavoidable on this issue. The NRA is part of the problem. It has too many elected officials cowed into inaction in the face of a rampant proliferation of military weaponry amongst the citizenry.

Some of the priorities, to me, are these:

* Banning all semiautomatic weapons - and I mean retroactively (i.e. no grandfathering those who already possess them).

* Banning all magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

* Closing the "gun show loophole".

* Mandating more thorough background checks on anyone wanting to buy a gun, at the prospective buyer's expense.

* A 100% sales tax on ammunition to help pay for the enforcement of all of the above.
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:27
    Schools and children are particularly vulnerable. I don't think protecting them better is a "huge waste of money".
    Agreed that protecting children better is a good thing. The question is the method employed. Schools are not the only place where children are particularly vulnerable. If there are groups of children in multiple places you need to cover all of them. If you make the schools safer the nutjob will just get them at a park instead. The only way this doesn't happen ( or is reduced ) is to take away the desire or the means.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:40
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    In the real world political power plays are unavoidable on this issue. The NRA is part of the problem. It has too many elected officials cowed into inaction in the face of a rampant proliferation of military weaponry amongst the citizenry.

Some of the priorities, to me, are these:

* Banning all semiautomatic weapons - and I mean retroactively (i.e. ...[text shortened]... nse.

* A 100% sales tax on ammunition to help pay for the enforcement of all of the above.
    1, 5 are impossible and undesirable.

2 seems politically possible and extremely desirable.

3 I'm not sure exactly what you mean; could you be more specific?

4 I'd need more specific details before I would take a position.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 10:45
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Agreed that protecting children better is a good thing. The question is the method employed. Schools are not the only place where children are particularly vulnerable. If there are groups of children in multiple places you need to cover all of them. If you make the schools safer the nutjob will just get them at a park instead. The only way this doesn't happen ( or is reduced ) is to take away the desire or the means.
    Speculation is one thing, reality another. The reality is that shootings at schools have become far too common. Many cities already station police in schools and it seems to have good results. I'm unconvinced by your logic which seems to be typical "the best is the enemy of the good" (Voltaire) thinking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree