1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:301 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is all about choices for example the Congress' gym/pool is open and the
    President's golf course is open, Vets were not allowed access to Government
    lands to see memorials, yet it was okayed for Illegals to go on the
    Government’s grounds to protest said it was okay.

So someone in the government made the call that during a war we can
    take that away from our military and their family.
    Kelly
    The President cannot change at his whim what are essential services in a government shutdown. The President does not have king-like powers to change the rules.

If he did, why wouldn't he just fund the entire government? Why wouldn't he just raise the debt ceiling on his own?

To provide military death benefits in a government shutdown, both houses of Congress must first pass a bill to do that, and the President signs it.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    So, this is something that can't be undone. And this is playing politics, in as disgusting a manner as possible. Pure and simple. Moon - defend this.

Military families are being denied - because of the shutdown - death benefits, including money to travel to Andrews Air Force Base to meet the bodies of their fallen service member.

Somebody explain how this is ok.
    The title of your thread shows your complete ignorance. It is the Tea Party shutdown that denied military death benefits.

The President cannot decide at his whim what is to be funded. The President does not have those king-like powers.

If he did, why wouldn't he just fund the entire government? Why wouldn't he just raise the debt ceiling on his own?

To provide military death benefits in a government shutdown, both houses of Congress must first pass a bill to do that, and the President signs it. Get a freaking clue. Jesus Christ, you are an idiot.

By the way, there are a lot of Americans suffering and paying the price because of the Tea Party shutdown.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why shut down any more of the government than needs to be shut down?
    Your question makes no sense. Do you realize the insanity of picking 3 or 4 functions to fund out of the thousands of functions not funded?

Are you suggesting that the Tea Party go down the thousands of functions and put a check mark by the ones that are to be funded. That is the way to operate as a country?

The Tea Party should do their job and fund the government.
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 19:33
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    So, this is something that can't be undone. And this is playing politics, in as disgusting a manner as possible. Pure and simple. Moon - defend this.

Military families are being denied - because of the shutdown - death benefits, including money to travel to Andrews Air Force Base to meet the bodies of their fallen service member.

Somebody explain how this is ok.
    Meanwhile the TSA is sticking their hands down peoples pants and getting paid for it.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:11
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The title of your thread shows your complete ignorance. It is the Tea Party shutdown that denied military death benefits.

The President cannot decide at his whim what is to be funded. The President does not have those king-like powers.

If he did, why wouldn't he just fund the entire government? Why wouldn't he just raise the debt ceiling on his o ...[text shortened]... , there are a lot of Americans suffering and paying the price because of the Tea Party shutdown.
    To say nothing of him pretending to actually give a shat about military families.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:27

If he did, why wouldn't he just fund the entire government? Why wouldn't he just raise the debt ceiling on his o ...[text shortened]... , there are a lot of Americans suffering and paying the price because of the Tea Party shutdown.
    The President cannot decide at his whim what is to be funded. The President does not have those king-like powers.-moonbeam

Actually, the closing of war memorials, kicking people out of their houses not only closing down mt. rushmore but closing down any street that had a view of it, etc,etc falls upon the executive branch solely.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:54
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    The President cannot decide at his whim what is to be funded. The President does not have those king-like powers.-moonbeam

Actually, the closing of war memorials, kicking people out of their houses not only closing down mt. rushmore but closing down any street that had a view of it, etc,etc falls upon the executive branch solely.
    Not the funding to keep those places open. That falls on Congress.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:56
    No matter which side you drink the cool aid with, you have to admit it sucks being lowly pawns.

Of course, we all know the importance of pawns in chess, don't we?
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

The national parks are not funded in the Tea Party government shutdown. Get a clue. Funding of the national parks does not fall solely on the executive branch. You need to go back to civics class.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 22:45
    The President cannot change at his whim what are essential services in a government shutdown. The President does not have king-like powers to change the rules.

To provide military death benefits in a government shutdown, both houses of Congress must first pass a bill to do that, and the President signs it.
    I was NOT blaming the President, our government did that! Now who in the
    government did it, I don't know. I do know that our President is in charge
    of the government, and when it is all said and done his leadership helped
    us get here.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 22:53
    us get here.
    Kelly
    Nonsense. The Tea Party obstructionists are preventing Obama from forming complete thoughts. They have powers beyond your wildest imagination! 😲
  12. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 05:50
    us get here.
    Kelly
    False equivalence.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 15:31

If Obama has no power to decide what stays up and what gets closed, then explain to me why parks are being closed this time that have never been closed before.

Obama does pick and choose what he will keep open and what he will close.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 18:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    No matter which side you drink the cool aid with, you have to admit it sucks being lowly pawns.

Of course, we all know the importance of pawns in chess, don't we?
    Annoying the other pieces. 😵
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    11 Oct '13 00:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If Obama has no power to decide what stays up and what gets closed, then explain to me why parks are being closed this time that have never been closed before.

Obama does pick and choose what he will keep open and what he will close.
    Not at all. The rules were already set by Congress in defining essential services. The National Parks did not make the list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree