1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 01:45
    Originally posted by normbenign
    For many of those starving, it isn't about affording food. There isn't any available at any price.
    What does this have to do with the topic?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 01:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What does this have to do with the topic?
    First it was a reply to your comment, and second, the occupation of Detroit, DC, Wall St., all of it doesn't produce a grain of food, or a single job.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 01:52
    The starving people you are referring to aren't anywhere near Detroit. There's plenty of food in the US. That's not the problem. Paying rent is the problem.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 01:58
    The starving people you are referring to aren't anywhere near Detroit. There's plenty of food in the US. That's not the problem. Paying rent is the problem.
    No there is hardly any starvation in Detroit. Obesity is a much more common problem among the poor here.

Paying rent is only a problem if you aren't willing to do without some other amenities.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 01:58
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Are you planning on occupying your space until you have to go home for dinner?
    No way, dude. I made it to 9:00. I didn't have any intention of sleeping there overnight. But still, I expect our efforts will cause the rotting edifice of capitalism to collapse within 48 hours.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:00
    No there is hardly any starvation in Detroit. Obesity is a much more common problem among the poor here.

Paying rent is only a problem if you aren't willing to do without some other amenities.
    What amenities are the homeless enjoying that they need to give up?
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:15
    What amenities are the homeless enjoying that they need to give up?
    Detroit is an ideal place for you to practice your squatting. There are tens of thousands of vacant unused lots, and thousands of vacant homes awaiting demolition. Noone needs to be homeless here.

I see what gets put out when people are evicted. Big screen TVs and cable boxes are common. Most of the time, they haul off the good stuff in a trailer behind an Escalade before the eviction crew gets started.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    No way, dude. I made it to 9:00. I didn't have any intention of sleeping there overnight. But still, I expect our efforts will cause the rotting edifice of capitalism to collapse within 48 hours.
    What would that "rotting edifice of capitalism" be?

Perhaps Peter Carmanos' Compuware building? Yeh, pay back that rotten SOB for moving his headquarters into Detroit from Farmington Hills. That'll teach him.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:212 edits
    Detroit is an ideal place for you to practice your squatting. There are tens of thousands of vacant unused lots, and thousands of vacant homes awaiting demolition. Noone needs to be homeless here.

I see what gets put out when people are evicted. Big screen TVs and cable boxes are common. Most of the time, they haul off the good stuff in a trailer behind an Escalade before the eviction crew gets started.
    And you think this stuff can be easily sold. How many months of rent will that used big screen TV buy?

The bidding on this one starts at $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-60-Rear-Projection-BIG-Screen-TV-/200663299233?pt=Televisions&hash=item2eb876f4a1

Are you suggesting that there are no homeless in Detroit? Or do they all sit around on the sidewalk watching cable on big screen TVs?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:29
    Looks like squatting is taking place over there. Good!

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-08-23/news/30093376_1_squatters-vacant-homes-dwellers
  11. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 03:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If only you had brought your favorite blanky along to keep you warm, you would have been a true revolutionary.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 11:15
    Originally posted by smw6869
    If only you had brought your favorite blanky along to keep you warm, you would have been a true revolutionary.
    Nah, it's raining in Detroit now. I doubt the revolution will be furthered by us all getting soaked.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 11:34
    And you think this stuff can be easily sold. How many months of rent will that used big screen TV buy?
    How did they get it in the first place? Why is the government, or whoever the squatting is supposedly targeting, to blame for poor personal financial planning?
    I pay my rent and don't have a big screen tv.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 13:05
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintingdetroit/6245775176/in/photostream/lightbox/

In this photo, on the right side, toward the back of the crowd, there is a man in a Detroit Tiger cap holding up a small sign that says: WE ARE THE 99%. That's me.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 13:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How did they get it in the first place? Why is the government, or whoever the squatting is supposedly targeting, to blame for poor personal financial planning?
    I pay my rent and don't have a big screen tv.
    You do realize that there was this thing called the Great Recession and many people lost their jobs? Were people supposed to "plan" for the banks wrecking the economy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree