1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 14:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintingdetroit/6245775176/in/photostream/lightbox/

In this photo, on the right side, toward the back of the crowd, there is a man in a Detroit Tiger cap holding up a small sign that says: WE ARE THE 99%. That's me.
    The Guy Fawkes mask on the left is a nice touch.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 14:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Guy Fawkes mask on the left is a nice touch.
    There were quite a few protesters with those. I see three in that photo alone.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 14:26
    There were quite a few protesters with those. I see three in that photo alone.
    Blowing up the House of Lords is an idea that never loses its allure. Plus V for Vendetta was a great flick.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 15:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How did they get it in the first place? Why is the government, or whoever the squatting is supposedly targeting, to blame for poor personal financial planning?
    I pay my rent and don't have a big screen tv.
    You can buy a big screen TV for ten bucks on ebay.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 17:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yeah, but the shipping will be $100.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 17:441 edit
    Yeah, but the shipping will be $100.
    Then go to Goodwill. Anyway, a hundred bucks won't pay the rent.
  7. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 18:08
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintingdetroit/6245775176/in/photostream/lightbox/

In this photo, on the right side, toward the back of the crowd, there is a man in a Detroit Tiger cap holding up a small sign that says: WE ARE THE 99%. That's me.
    I see you! I see you! You have a strange resemblance to Che Quevara.

GRANNY.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 20:10
    You do realize that there was this thing called the Great Recession and many people lost their jobs? Were people supposed to "plan" for the banks wrecking the economy?
    Yes.

Besides, the banks did not wreck the economy. Peoples poor personal financial planning did.

The problem is that Americans deluded themselves into thinking that the 'great boom' was here to stay and thus, instead of saving up for a rainy day, they spent all their money and then some.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 20:11
    Sadly, I don't have a credit card, nor can I reasonably expect to ship it from the US to here.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 20:40
    ...starts today. I'll be on my way downtown shortly to join the march to Grand Circus Park, which I guess we will be occupying. At least for a while. I'll try to not get pepper sprayed while there.

I urge everyone to take part and help 'occupy' whatever city you're from.
    The Tea Party is comprised of brain-washed zombies who function as the cannon fodder of the mega-corporations and the elite 1%. I wish you well. We need a single-payer health care system, deconstruction of the military-industrial complex, the abandonment of militarism, proportional representation in a parliamentary system of government, taxation of activist churches, legalization of gay marriage and all "soft drugs," abolition of the death penalty, a progressive income tax with a top rate of 90%, a war crimes tribunal for the entire Bush administration, the shuttering of Gitmo, the repeal of the Patriot Acts and Military Commissions Acts, and many other things besides.

The road ahead is long, but I do believe we'll get there in time.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 20:42
    Plus V for Vendetta was a great flick.
    It was indeed.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:19
    And you think this stuff can be easily sold. How many months of rent will that used big screen TV buy?

The bidding on this one starts at $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-60-Rear-Projection-BIG-Screen-TV-/200663299233?pt=Televisions&hash=item2eb876f4a1

Are you suggesting that there are no homeless in Detroit? Or do they all sit around on the sidewalk watching cable on big screen TVs?
    Perhaps some of the goodies should never have been purchased in order to have the rent money.

Just who is responsible for providing shelter for those who can't or won't provide for themselves? You think perhaps some of the "homeless" made bad decisions?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:21
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The Tea Party is comprised of brain-washed zombies who function as the cannon fodder of the mega-corporations and the elite 1%. I wish you well. We need a single-payer health care system, deconstruction of the military-industrial complex, the abandonment of militarism, proportional representation in a parliamentary system of government, taxation of acti ...[text shortened]... other things besides.

The road ahead is long, but I do believe we'll get there in time.
    Talk about brain washed zombies.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:25
    You do realize that there was this thing called the Great Recession and many people lost their jobs? Were people supposed to "plan" for the banks wrecking the economy?
    The government wrecked the economy!
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:28
    Then go to Goodwill. Anyway, a hundred bucks won't pay the rent.
    You may have to forgo Cable or Satelite TV, and a couple of cases of beer a month, or your cigarettes, or a couple of bottles of Wild Irish Rose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree