1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 03:54
    @moonbus said
    "According to the Washington Post, US Postal Service workers say backlogs may delay delivery of ballots in time for November's election because of cost-cutting measures under the Trump administration."

If I thought Trump really was a stable genius, I'd say he set this up. But I don't, and he didn't. He's still just making up the screenplay off the cuff, day-to-day, minute-to-minute, as he has always done.
    trump is a moronic puppet.

The real danger to American democracy is McConnell.
    And I pretty much assume that underfunding the postal service to annul election results he doesn’t like would be right up his street (alongside seeding the court).

And when the time comes, he will lift his shoulders, say: “Well I didn’t want the election postponed, but when it’s this unfair...”
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 04:55
    @shavixmir said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53597975

trump calls for election to be postponed!
    He can't do it. This is just a bunch of blithering blather from a diaper-rashed bum crumb who's poisoned his mind with intravenous Diet Coke and Big Macs.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 05:38
    @philokalia said
    The best point that I have seen the left bring up over the last week is that it is hypocritical to say that schools should be opened but the election should be postponed.

I would not say that this is a 100% accurate argument, because one can argue that transitions in leadership are qualitatively different than opening schools, but I am not even comfortable mounti ...[text shortened]... ense, so I think it is an overall good argument.

Cheers to you guys.

LeoDiCaprioToasting.gif
    What is hypocritical is for Pompeo to insist that HK hold its election on schedule, despite concerns about COVID, because the people of HK deserve an elected government, while dodging the question whether the US might delay an election when Trump has created a domestic COVID crisis through rampant mismanagement.

https://www.usnews.com/news/elections/articles/2020-07-30/pompeo-reacts-to-trumps-proposal-to-delay-november-election
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 06:03
    @shavixmir said

And I pretty much assume that underfunding the postal service to annul election results he doesn’t like would be right up his street (alongside seeding the court).

And when the time comes, he will lift his shoulders, say: “Well I didn’t want the election postponed, but when it’s this unfair...”
    By golly, McConnell has begun to notice the writing on the wall:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/senate-mcconnell-trump-firewall/index.html
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 06:27
    @soothfast said
    He can't do it. This is just a bunch of blithering blather from a diaper-rashed bum crumb who's poisoned his mind with intravenous Diet Coke and Big Macs.
    It’s not about cancelling the election.
    It’s about building up a basis for contesting the results.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 07:56
    @shavixmir said
    It’s not about cancelling the election.
    It’s about building up a basis for contesting the results.
    He was the one who said he would drain the swamp. If he had built up trust and unity in the nation, instead of stirring up division and acrimony, he would not now need a pre-excuse for casting doubt on the validity of the coming election. He’s chest-deep in quicksand of his own making.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 09:07
    @philokalia said
    The best point that I have seen the left bring up over the last week is that it is hypocritical to say that schools should be opened but the election should be postponed.

I would not say that this is a 100% accurate argument, because one can argue that transitions in leadership are qualitatively different than opening schools, but I am not even comfortable mounti ...[text shortened]... ense, so I think it is an overall good argument.

Cheers to you guys.

LeoDiCaprioToasting.gif
    Not much of a defence given that the election is only a 24hr thing rather than a five day a week thing. I would be comfortable arguing that you could hold an election but maybe not open schools.
    Was that Leonardo doing an impression of Epstein toasting a new born?
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 13:58
    @shavixmir said

I would add to the list some of his advisers.
    Two that come to mind are Stephen Miller and Peter Navarro.
    There are certainly more names I haven’t thought of. But it is the unelected officials that are really holding the puppet strings behind this president that are the threat.
    All of them ideological extremists. That’s the danger.
  9. Garner, NC
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 18:41
    @shavixmir said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53597975

trump calls for election to be postponed!
    Hmm. Didn't AOC call for elimination of the Electoral College? Doesn't she know that representatives don't have the power to do that? She is trying to usurp the Constitution.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:06
    @techsouth said
    Hmm. Didn't AOC call for elimination of the Electoral College? Doesn't she know that representatives don't have the power to do that? She is trying to usurp the Constitution.
    Congress is exactly where that power lay. You are mistaken.
  11. Garner, NC
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 23:02
    @athousandyoung said
    Congress is exactly where that power lay. You are mistaken.
    It takes both houses of congress and 3/4 the states. A single representative cannot do it alone. Therefore she's usurping the constitution to even suggest it.

Likewise, even Hillary Clinton as a private citizen has called for elimination of electoral college. That's totally usurping the Constitution because Hillary doesn't have power to do that.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 01:43
    @techsouth said
    Representatives don't have the power to call for the elimination of the Electoral College? Of course they can, in accord with the First Amendment. I can call for Trump to resign and report to the nearest federal prison. Do you know what "call for" means?
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 04:11
    @techsouth said
    It takes both houses of congress and 3/4 the states. A single representative cannot do it alone. Therefore she's usurping the constitution to even suggest it.

Likewise, even Hillary Clinton as a private citizen has called for elimination of electoral college. That's totally usurping the Constitution because Hillary doesn't have power to do that.
    Emphasis on "private citizen".
    Heck !! Let's add to that.
    I, as a Canadian citizen, call for the elimination of the electoral college.

There. Happy ??

But back on topic.
    The president of the United States has called for a delay of the election.
    He knows he can't do it. Doesn't have the authority.
    But he knows that he is sowing the seeds of civil unrest from his own support base in the event that he does lose the election.
    And that from a president is despicable.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 05:33
    @techsouth said
    A single representative can't do anything therefore they should never suggest anything.

Is that your logic?
  15. Garner, NC
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 13:231 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    A single representative can't do anything therefore they should never suggest anything.

Is that your logic?
    You guys neither understand sarcasm, nor reasoned arguments.

The president's call for delayed elections has no more legal meaning than that of anyone else. He is free to advocate for it and probably knows it won't happen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree