1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 16:16
    It appears censorship is being applauded. Be careful.
    Next, they will end filibuster, end the Electoral college, admit NEW states, jesus, pack the Scotus,.....all meant to Emasculate their conservative competition. And AOC says we should rein in the media. How is this happening? Voting for trillions with no way to pay for it.
    100 Years ago, railroads, oil, telegraph and power industries created monopolies. In effect, they did what y'all are doing as shown above. So, anti-trust laws were passed, to stop this movement. Cool. But now, progressive politicians are all on the side of the mega-rich cartels. So, the values of the oil and rail monopolies are back. But this time there are no 'trustbusters' to stop this. The thoughts and speech of an increasingly unfree america are being strangled.
    This is a fact. I hope someone here is concerned.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 16:211 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Next, they will end filibuster, end the Electoral college, admit NEW states, jesus, pack the Scotus,.....all meant to Emasculate their conservative competition. And AOC says we should rein in the media. How is this happening? Voting for trillions with no way to pay for it.
    100 Years ago, railroads, oil, teleg ...[text shortened]... asingly unfree america are being strangled.
    I agree that some of the things happening at social media monopolies are troubling.

However, I also think it is ironic that a Senate speech about "how my conservative views are being censored" is being livestreamed on CSPAN and replayed on local news, FoxNews, MSNBC, and the transcript is published in a Washingon Post and WSJ article 30 minutes later.

Maybe twitter and facebook are the wrong places to provide unbiased news coverage.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 16:30
    @averagejoe1 said
    100 Years ago, railroads, oil, teleg ...[text shortened]... asingly unfree america are being strangled.
    Nice little scare story Joe but it just isn’t backed up by the facts. It’s the duty of social media to ensure it isn’t used for nefarious reasons. Which is exactly what trump and his white supremacist race war advocate affiliates were and are doing.
    You have every right ( apparently) to spread lies and racial hatred but no one has the duty to to facilitate it.
    Trump used social media platforms to incite the overthrow of a democratic election that he LOST by a landslide which resulted in violence and that’s why he’s been banned.
    You pretending that this is about censorship rather than public safety and the defence of democracy doesn’t make it so.
    Go back to the ballot box and respect everyone’s right to vote and I’m sure you will be able to keep your Twitter account.
    Big business fears instability much more than taxes Joe, if you mess with the stability that protects their investments they will hit back.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 17:111 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Your post is a series of random thoughts thrown together with little rhyme or reason, but I'll try to make sense of it.

Filibuster and States- There is no guarantee the Dem's will be able end the filibuster, or add new states, so stop shaking like a leaf.

SCOTUS - Conservative appointed judges have a 6-3 majority on the high court, in addition, McConnell was able to pack the lower with Conservative judges for the last 4 years. So, what are you sniveling about?

AOC says we should rein in the media. - Isn't that exactly what Conservatives have been trying to do? You should be happy about this.

If you have a beef with Tech companies shutting down Trump's twitter account, take it up with them. The Donald can get on TV and make all the speeches he wants. So what's your problem?

Elections have consequences little Joe! You didn't have a problem with "the system" when it worked in the Conservatives' favor, did you? So, put on your big boy pants, and deal with it! 😏
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:00
    Why the hell would you want to keep filibustering?
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:06
    the longest filibuster in US history was by senator Strom Thurmond lasting over 24 hours
    he had a very strong bladder
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:12
    @lemondrop said
    the longest filibuster in US history was by senator Strom Thurmond lasting over 24 hours
    I thought it was James Stewart / Smith
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:16
    @shavixmir said
    Why the hell would you want to keep filibustering?
    It is voluminous to write the pros and cons, just read its purpose and decide for yourself. One simple thing that I like, it helps a minority party control enough seats to block really questionable bills of the other party, it levels the field so the majority party does not overrun the works!! I am repub, but I think it should exist no matter who is in control.
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:24
    @kevcvs57 said
    Nice little scare story Joe but it just isn’t backed up by the facts. It’s the duty of social media to ensure it isn’t used for nefarious reasons. Which is exactly what trump and his white supremacist race war advocate affiliates were and are doing.
    You have every right ( apparently) to spread lies and racial hatred but no one has the duty to to facilitate it.
    Trump used ...[text shortened]... e than taxes Joe, if you mess with the stability that protects their investments they will hit back.
    You guys always pepper your comments with 'Trump' I think the thread post does not mention Trump, it mentions what Joe INTENDS to do, so I hope this answers some of your screed above.
    ANd, it doesn't mention race. And it doesn't mention overthrows, landslides, or Trump being banned.
    On reining in the media, I am just reporting the news of AOC. And funny that McHill above says that the conservatives have been trying to rein in the media. What? Anyway, We simply disagree, I think it is censorship, you think it is 'defense of democracy"....I don't even know what that means.
  10. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:36
    @mchill said
    Your post is a series of random thoughts thrown together with little rhyme or reason, but I'll try to make sense of it.

Filibuster and States- There is no guarantee the Dem's will be able end the filibuster, or add new states, so stop shaking like a leaf.

SCOTUS - Conservative appointed judges have a 6-3 majority on the high court, in addition, McConnell was able to pa ...[text shortened]... it worked in the Conservatives' favor, did you? So, put on your big boy pants, and deal with it! 😏
    And then McHill above predicts the future, filibuster can't be banned. Really? Anyway, wasn't asking for predictions or opinions, just making a point of one of the horrible ideas of the libs. They also want trillions and say not where it is coming from. Silly question, but why doesnt AOC ask for $20K instead of just $2K? Curious. Why not. Why not $50 minimum wage? Curious, doesnt make any sense.
    Re SCOTUS...I am sniveling that we have had 9 justices for a long time, and do not see any reason to change it. What is your reason? And why are you sniveling that the judges that have recently been appointed are conservative? If they were not,, they would, as they have historically done, be legislating from the bench. McHIll, do you want judges who follow the law and the constitution, or do you want judges to make law?
    I am definitely 'dealing' with the new administration coming down on top of us, that is the point of my thread.....saying we have a new future and it will require a little bit of shuffling. Someone that you probably know will have to pay the $695 fine if they do not do what the government tells them to do in the way of buying health insurance. The Dems (JOE) are TELLING you that you MUST buy insurance! Is that fascism? Anyway, am just announcing doom (which is a word Biden uses) on the Horizon.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:37
    @lemondrop said
    Or a pail under the lectern.
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 18:41
    @AverageJoe1
    Get this: The main thrust of this thread is to point out the concept of monopolies, as were over 100 years ago. I see no difference. Why, you fellers would have been walking in the streets with those cardboard signs (I dont think you had buns on your heads back then) raising mortal hell against the monopolies, but TODAY it is all OK what the techs are doing. The big three kicked Parley out. Kicked it out!!!
    Yet, your responses above mention NOT ONE THING about the rising monopolies. Do you not find that in the least bit odd? What is it with you fellers? Get out there with your cardboard. I have never been in a street, so you are on your own.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 19:27
    @averagejoe1 said
    You guys always pepper your comments with 'Trump' I think the thread post does not mention Trump, it mentions what Joe INTENDS to do, so I hope this answers some of your screed above.
    ANd, it doesn't mention race. And it doesn't mention overthrows, landslides, or Trump being banned.
    On reining in the media, I am just reporting the news of AOC. And funny that McH ...[text shortened]... think it is censorship, you think it is 'defense of democracy"....I don't even know what that means.
    No your post was obviously directed at the social media bans on trump snd the far right, but as usual you tried to splice it with Biden’s plans for a ‘Marxist utopia’.
  14. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 19:34
    @kevcvs57 said
    No your post was obviously directed at the social media bans on trump snd the far right, but as usual you tried to splice it with Biden’s plans for a ‘Marxist utopia’.
    Watch what happens to small biz when $15 hits. I am investing in automation as we speak. Y'all coming up with cute nick names for robots?
    My post was directed at monopolies by big biz,,,,,it happens that big biz today is the darling of libs with their computer games, and you want them to 'bring it on'. So, you will allow monopolies to continue...you like it the same way that we conservatives enjoyed Trump's economy. I have not thought about Trump for weeks, I am a forward thinker. I am suggesting that you kids do some forward thinking. Why you always mad at ole AvJoe?
    I didn't say say Joe is a marxist, but his oval office will be full of them....some will naturally rub off on him due to his weakened state. He'll be using that oft-used liberal word..'Whatever!"
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 20:38
    @lemondrop
    Bladder but wiser...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree