1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 16:01
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Why is it that nobody asks Obama why the USA/South Korean joint military drills are not taking place further south so the DPRK does not feel threatened?

The DPRK obviously does not like these drills taking place so close to their country. They probably feel these drills could turn into an invasion without much warning. Seems understandable to me.

W ...[text shortened]... rth Korea. Why not do this? Isn't it worth avoiding the risk of war or is war what Obama wants?
    Yah and every few years we should give North Korea the right to blow up a South Korean ship or two.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 16:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yah and every few years we should give North Korea the right to blow up a South Korean ship or two.
    Is this the incident you are referring to?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/26/us-korea-ship-idUSTRE62P30E20100326
  3. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 17:04
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Or capture an American ship and take the crew hostage like thePueblo in the 60's.
    N Korea is a belligerant little nation of SUCK
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 18:28
    The USA has military bases further south.

http://militarybases.com/overseas/south-korea/
    Right, and who is stationed there? The first responders (and the first attacked) would be units to the north near the DMZ. Military training involves a lot more than most people realize. Practicing vanilla battle drills and such is only a very small part of that.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 18:37
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    Or capture an American ship and take the crew hostage like thePueblo in the 60's.
    An interesting documentary that is a look inside North Korean "labor" camps from the perspective of former prisoners and guards.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70264533?strkid=434566909_0_0&trkid=222336&movieid=70264533

Another good documentary

http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70061970&trkid=496682#MovieId=70045191
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 19:55
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Right, and who is stationed there? The first responders (and the first attacked) would be units to the north near the DMZ. Military training involves a lot more than most people realize. Practicing vanilla battle drills and such is only a very small part of that.
    As a chess player you should know better. When military leaders expect the front to be in one place the adversary may choose another as a tactical advantage. Iraq expected an invasion in the first gulf war near Kuwait. Instead the USA cut off supply lines and attacked from the back.
    You are doing too much assuming that is contrary to improvised tactics. You would make a poor general.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 19:58
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    Who is really the belligerent nation?

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/14813-north-korea-and-the-united-states-will-the-real-aggressor-please-stand-down
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:13
    Those drills have been going on since long before Obama took office. The reason they're close to the border is because that's where are troops are, and where they need to be.
    Very simply and accurately stated.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:16
    As a chess player you should know better. When military leaders expect the front to be in one place the adversary may choose another as a tactical advantage. Iraq expected an invasion in the first gulf war near Kuwait. Instead the USA cut off supply lines and attacked from the back.
    You are doing too much assuming that is contrary to improvised tactics. You would make a poor general.
    The attack though from the north was still near the southern border, where the Iraqi forces were.

Surprise or not, it is doubtful that any action would be far from the DMZ, just as it is doubtful that any serious chess opening doesn't involve challenging the center.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:16
    Why is it that nobody asks Obama why the USA/South Korean joint military drills are not taking place further south so the DPRK does not feel threatened?

The DPRK obviously does not like these drills taking place so close to their country. They probably feel these drills could turn into an invasion without much warning. Seems understandable to me.

W ...[text shortened]... rth Korea. Why not do this? Isn't it worth avoiding the risk of war or is war what Obama wants?
    President Obama just can't seem to do anything that pleases you...can he?
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    And he can't seem to offend you in any case.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    And he can't seem to offend you in any case.
    I'd agree with that. I don't agree with every detail of Obama's policys i.e. his support of clean coal (there is no such thing!), a lukewarn approach to green energy, his foot dragging concerning marriage equality, and his passive support of subsidies for wealthy oil companies who can run their business's very well without them...buy generally I agree with Obama's way of doing things.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '13 20:33
    Originally posted by bill718
    Neither could Bush. They all have the same foreign policy goals. They are all imperialists who don't give a crap about us.
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Apr '13 05:39
    Oh, no. A guy on the internet who knows d ick about military tactics thinks I would make a bad General.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '13 08:09
    Oh, no. A guy on the internet who knows d ick about military tactics thinks I would make a bad General.
    And you do?

I want to hear someone ask Obama why he needs the military drills to be done in disputed waters and I want to hear Obama answer the question. You are not qualified to answer for him and it is Obama's duty as president to answer questions when nuclear war is threatened. I'll settle for Jay Carney though. That is his job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree