1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 01:58
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Sometimes handling a bully is as simple as proving you mean what you say. It may mean going to the brink of war, as Kennedy did.
    Why should the U.S. be the one to go to war?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 01:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/07/jon-stewart-fox-news-putin-shirtless-obama-mom-jeans-daily-show_n_4919517.html
    Isn't Stewart a comedian?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:031 edit
    Isn't Stewart a comedian?
    Doesn't make the point he was making about conservative/Putin love any less valid.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:03
    This doesn't answer the question. So I'll clarify.

What SPECIFICALLY should Obama do about Putin? You say he should spy on Putin, but it's a pretty safe bet that U.S. has been doing this since before Obama was first elected.

So...any ideas? I mean, it's pretty easy to criticize while not having a solution yourself.
    I doubt Obama can do anything to alter Putin's conclusions about him. That opportunity has passed.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:04
    Doesn't make the point he was making about conservative/Putin any less valid.
    Stewart isn't exactly a conservative spokesperson or pundit. In fact somewhat the opposite.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:06
    This doesn't answer the question. So I'll clarify.

What SPECIFICALLY should Obama do about Putin? You say he should spy on Putin, but it's a pretty safe bet that U.S. has been doing this since before Obama was first elected.

So...any ideas? I mean, it's pretty easy to criticize while not having a solution yourself.
    Stop drawing red lines in the sand that you have no backbone to back up would be a nice start.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:10
    Why should the U.S. be the one to go to war?
    In my opinion it should not. It is often gamesmanship, making your adversary believe you will fight actually prevents having to do so.

Talking tough, when you aren't, and have shown yourself weak in the past, will just get your nose bloodied.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:11
    I doubt Obama can do anything to alter Putin's conclusions about him. That opportunity has passed.
    I don't mean what can Obama do concerning his image, I was asking for specifics on what Obama should do with Russia, since he's accused by the right of not doing anything/enough/the right thing concerning Putin.

Regarding Stewart being leftist/liberal, he still made a valid point.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:11
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Would you say that in any country as large as either Russia or the United States there is likely to be a substantial opposition to any leader?
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:14
    In my opinion it should not. It is often gamesmanship, making your adversary believe you will fight actually prevents having to do so.

Talking tough, when you aren't, and have shown yourself weak in the past, will just get your nose bloodied.
    Agreed. That was Obama's big misstep; that's he's not a tough guy, but for some reason, tried to act like one. Maybe it was because of his (conservative) critics, but being a tough guy doesn't fit him.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:14
    I don't mean what can Obama do concerning his image, I was asking for specifics on what Obama should do with Russia, since he's accused by the right of not doing anything/enough/the right thing concerning Putin.

Regarding Stewart being leftist/liberal, he still made a valid point.
    I think whodey made a good and valid point. Obama should just shut up, unless he is going to do something meaningful. Crimea isn't our fight and neither is Ukraine. Finland, I could care less? Let them do their own national defense and then brag their social programs are better than ours.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Stop drawing red lines in the sand that you have no backbone to back up would be a nice start.
    What? I merely asked you for specifics. If you don't have any specific solutions, just say so.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:20
    What? I merely asked you for specifics. If you don't have any specific solutions, just say so.
    Having Obama shut the hell up is not specific enough for you? 😕

I think you will find that silence is a wonderful thing. Having your opponent not know what you are thinking is priceless.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 02:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree