1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '23 22:471 edit
    @divegeester
    Because my GENES are Irish you fukhead. I could get Irish citizenship if I wanted bad enough.
    BTW Dive, I am a professional Irish musician, MANY gigs around the country including nationally broadcast TV so I got into the Irish thing pretty heavily, spent YEARS learning Irish tunes and now writing new tunes, which I post to Soundcloud and have close to 300 tracks there so there is that.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '23 10:09
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Because my GENES are Irish you fukhead. I could get Irish citizenship if I wanted bad enough.
    BTW Dive, I am a professional Irish musician, MANY gigs around the country including nationally broadcast TV so I got into the Irish thing pretty heavily, spent YEARS learning Irish tunes and now writing new tunes, which I post to Soundcloud and have close to 300 tracks there so there is that.
    there seems to be some confusion about the genetics of Ireland, we are primarily celts, haplogroup R1b is the dominant male gene 80% (Gaelic),haplogroup R-L21 is a subgroup 65% with links to the basque region , there is also viking (norse gaels),anglo normans and in my case a spot of african/morocan.mix all that together and I am 100% Irish.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 May '23 10:331 edit
    @athousandyoung said
    How can I be a Celt if I’m not Irish?
    Scottish, Welsh, Basque, Kurdish, North Western French… Cornish…

Quite a lot of us aren’t Irish.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 May '23 20:111 edit
    @shavixmir said
    Scottish, Welsh, Basque, Kurdish, North Western French… Cornish…

Quite a lot of us aren’t Irish.
    Basques and Kurds aren't Celts you silly fellow. Perhaps you are confusing the Kurds with the ancient Galatians.

I doubt Kevin thinks I am a Scot, Welsh, Cornish or Breton. My best claim to Celtic ancestry is my roughly 25% Irish blood and an inherited bitterness about the Famine.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 May '23 20:14
    @catpower25 said
    there seems to be some confusion about the genetics of Ireland, we are primarily celts, haplogroup R1b is the dominant male gene 80% (Gaelic),haplogroup R-L21 is a subgroup 65% with links to the basque region , there is also viking (norse gaels),anglo normans and in my case a spot of african/morocan.mix all that together and I am 100% Irish.
    Vikings weren't "Norse Gaels" they were Germanics. Otherwise sounds accurate to me.

The Scots-Irish could be argued to be a Norse-Gaelic mixture I suppose.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 May '23 21:56
    @athousandyoung said
    if you’ve internalised the culture of grievance then that’s what you are for the purposes of this topic

Glad you've come around to realizing that it is neither blood nor birthplace that makes a person Irish but cultural factors instead e.g. resentment of the Famine.
    Your not getting it the actual Irish do not have the same chip on their shoulder about it, maybe because they stuck it out in Ireland and possibly gained from the masses of their people leaving their smallholdings to gain charitable support in the towns and cities. Americans of Irish descent still see the potato famine as current affairs because that’s when they left Ireland, their 19th century Irish grievance culture has been captured in aspic.
    I am English I never think of myself as Scottish or Irish or whatever other bloodlines I have in my mongrel veins. That does not mean I’m proud to acknowledge those bloodlines.
    That’s what I think is concerning in terms of the cohesion of the US.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '23 12:371 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Tut tut such language.

My grandparents were Scottish, that doesn’t make me Scottish any more than if my grandparents were Irish would make me Irish. As far as I can tell (one of) my great great grandparents were French. Does that make me French ?

Playing Irish songs doesn’t make you Irish either Sonshouse.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '23 12:39
    @kevcvs57 said
    That might be one of the USs major issues. When you drill down a huge chunk of the country think that they are European, African Asian etc who just happen to be living in America.
    I’ve got a Scottish mother, Irish great grandparents, Romany on my dads side and mongrelised Londoners on my maternal grandmothers.
    I only ever see myself as British English or English British.
    Same here.

Allegedly one of my ancestors on my fathers side was a Scottish pirate who was executed by drowning a few hundred years ago.

Shiver me timbers!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '23 13:36
    @divegeester said
    Tut tut such language.

My grandparents were Scottish, that doesn’t make me Scottish any more than if my grandparents were Irish would make me Irish. As far as I can tell (one of) my great great grandparents were French. Does that make me French ?

Playing Irish songs doesn’t make you Irish either Sonshouse.
    as i mentioned my father is from libya and I feel as much libyan as irish I am fluent in tunisian arabic and understand the culture and customs,I just dont think you can take ones genetic make up out of the mix,if its there it remains(just my point of view).
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '23 13:402 edits
    @catpower25 said
    as i mentioned my father is from libya and I feel as much libyan as irish I am fluent in tunisian arabic and understand the culture and customs,I just dont think you can take ones genetic make up out of the mix,if its there it remains(just my point of view).
    Your “genetic make up” has nothing to do with you “feeling as much Libyan and Irish”, that is do do with your upbringing, where you have lived and your cultural experiences.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '23 13:502 edits
    @divegeester said
    Your “genetic make up” has nothing to do with you “feeling as much Libyan and Irish”, that is do do with your upbringing, where you have lived and your cultural experiences.
    No not so, I never lived in libya(occasional holidays)born and brought up on the outskirts of Dublin,Lived in the uk for a long time now,but dont feel at all english,you can take the Irish out of erin but you cant make them think.LOL. P.S what is do do?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '23 14:40
    @catpower25 said
    No not so, I never lived in libya(occasional holidays)born and brought up on the outskirts of Dublin,Lived in the uk for a long time now,but dont feel at all english,you can take the Irish out of erin but you cant make them think.
    Nevertheless, your “genetic make up” has nothing to do with you “feeling as much Libyan and Irish”.

If you were an adopted child of Libyan birth parents, brought up in England by English parents, never told of your Libyan parents you would not “feel” Libyan. How you “feel” is environmental.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '23 14:461 edit
    @divegeester said
    Nevertheless, your “genetic make up” has nothing to do with you “feeling as much Libyan and Irish”.

If you were an adopted child of Libyan birth parents, brought up in England by English parents, never told of your Libyan parents you would not “feel” Libyan. How you “feel” is environmental.
    your opinion not mine nature trumps nurture every time,I am what i am made of not what my enviroment dictates.ps what are do do lol
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 May '23 19:44
    @catpower25 said
    your opinion not mine nature trumps nurture every time,I am what i am made of not what my enviroment dictates.ps what are do do lol
    You are mistaken.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '23 19:56
    @divegeester
    And of course in your Phd thesis you proved all that, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree