1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '23 11:021 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    I wonder why you think that. According to the DNA test I did, it's exactly 50% from one and 50% from the other.
    It’s complicated. And I don’t understand it.

23 pairs of chromosomes made up from both parents equally but only the male carries the X chromosome to determine sexual gender and the mitochondrial dna only comes from the mother. So in terms of volume of genetic material we all get a bit more from the mother.

One thing is definite through, grandparent dna is not distributed equally to grandchildren, so we are not 25% of each of our 4 grandparents.

The A level genetics module was tough for me I had to rote learn much of it.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '23 11:03
    @yo-its-me said
    You know being a cross-dresser and being a trans women are different things though, right?
    Yes I’m aware of that, I’m just saying what thoughts might go through my head if I saw your “woman with large hands”.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '23 11:05
    @kevcvs57 said
    I believe we get about 52% of our dna from our mothers, probably the only thing we get from our ancient paternal lines is our names and an indicator of regional origins.
    DNA is 50-50 split but the paternal DNA is dominant especialy in health.up to 60% of temprement is detemined by your genes,where nurture plays its part has been shown with identical twins raised apart,both gene pool is 100% identical but if one is raised in adverse conditions a compensatioary gene is activated,where as the twin raised in relative security may never need that gene.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    30 May '23 11:39
    @divegeester said
    It’s complicated. And I don’t understand it.
    It is really complicated. It's fascinating. I started reading a really good book, The Gene: An Intimate History. But I have mislaid it somewhere on my travels and I don't want to buy it twice. It's written really well, you don't need a science degree to understand it.
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    30 May '23 11:43
    @catpower25 said
    DNA is 50-50 split but the paternal DNA is dominant especialy in health.up to 60% of temprement is detemined by your genes,where nurture plays its part has been shown with identical twins raised apart,both gene pool is 100% identical but if one is raised in adverse conditions a compensatioary gene is activated,where as the twin raised in relative security may never need that gene.
    Did you watch that Netflix film about triples who were part of an experiment?
    Three Identical Strangers.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '23 12:35
    @yo-its-me said
    Did you watch that Netflix film about triples who were part of an experiment?
    Three Identical Strangers.
    yes a few years ago,I studied Biology & Biochemistry at Manchester university, genetics was part of the course,alas i only managed a 2.2,to many parties.
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    30 May '23 13:381 edit
    @catpower25 said
    yes a few years ago,I studied Biology & Biochemistry at Manchester university, genetics was part of the course,alas i only managed a 2.2,to many parties.
    Too bad.

I think uni comes too early in our brain development.
    Most people I know don't feel motivated to get a career till they are in their 30s.
    I was motivated to do well, I loved my cause. But I easily gave my carer plans up.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '23 15:18
    @divegeester said
    Bump for whom?
    Kev
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '23 15:19
    @kevcvs57 said
    I believe we get about 52% of our dna from our mothers, probably the only thing we get from our ancient paternal lines is our names and an indicator of regional origins.
    And our Y chromosomes
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 May '23 15:54
    @catpower25 said
    No it’s not if you have a girl it is but if you have a boy which I’m assuming you are and that is who hands down the name through successive generations
    A boy is generated by the father donating a Y chromosome to the corresponding X chromosome donated by the mother. Now imagine an X with one arm missing.
    This is why sex related diseases like haemophilia are so much more prevalent in males because the arm which would have carried the dominant not haemophilia gene is missing.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 09:53
    @catpower25 said
    You would have been better off taking a module in English language.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 09:54
    @catpower25 said
    your opinion not mine nature trumps nurture every time,I am what i am made of not what my enviroment dictates.ps what are do do lol
    No it doesn’t.

So much for your “genetics” study “lol”
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 09:58
    @catpower25 said
    No not so, I never lived in libya(occasional holidays)born and brought up on the outskirts of Dublin,Lived in the uk for a long time now,but dont feel at all english,you can take the Irish out of erin but you cant make them think.LOL. P.S what is do do?
    I know a guy who lives somewhere around Dublin called Michael aka @johnnylongwoody here; perhaps you know him?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 12:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '23 07:16
    @divegeester said
    I know a guy who lives somewhere around Dublin called Michael aka @johnnylongwoody here; perhaps you know him?
    Tumbleweed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree