To all the OBAMANITES....... LOL 🙂 LOL 🙂 LOL 🙂

Whats up Barry?
    yeah, take that Obama!
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 17:552 edits
    What a waste of time and money putting together the bid. Why do we need another Olympics in the US? Didn't we just have it in 1996 and 2002?

I'm glad Rio won. Spain also just got an Olympics in 1992. They don't either deserve another one so soon.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 18:05
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

Whats up Barry?
    Yes, of course it was his fault.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 18:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    What a waste of time and money putting together the bid. Why do we need another Olympics in the US? Didn't we just have it in 1996 and 2002?

I'm glad Rio won. Spain also just got an Olympics in 1992. They don't either deserve another one so soon.
    A lot of people here in Chicago don't want it either - especially with Daley around to screw it up.

There would be some benefits in improvements to infrastructure, but they generally do lose money and frankly it would probably lose even more with Daley in charge.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 18:251 edit

Whats up Barry?
    Pathetic. What President wouldn't have lobbied for the Olympics? With every one of these silly posts you reduce the potency of any substantive objections in the future. You're a Boy Who Cries "Wolf!"

Anyway I'm happy Rio won it. Now make Brazilian Jiu Jitsu an exhibition event!
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 18:36
    Obama flies across the world to try to help Chicago (the favorite) get its bid and then it is the first city eliminated. I wish the New York Times would right an editoial about how this is further evidence that Obama is a joke and how he should focus on more pressing issues like it would if Bush did the same the same thing.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 18:512 edits
    Originally posted by telerion
    Pathetic. What President wouldn't have lobbied for the Olympics? With every one of these silly posts you reduce the potency of any substantive objections in the future. You're a Boy Who Cries "Wolf!"

if Obama hadn't lobbied for the olympics, I'm sure the right wing would've criticized him for that.

But I'm very happy Rio got them. I suspect that the committee probably was going to give them to Rio all along as long as they made a credible proposal. The US doesn't need an olympics every 15 yrs.

Besides - if Chicago had won, I had this awful feeling that Rod Blagojevich would have inserted himself into it in some way.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 19:29
    Well, good for you, Americans. Let the Brazilian taxpayer fund the Olympics.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 19:42
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Besides - if Chicago had won, I had this awful feeling that Rod Blagojevich would have inserted himself into it in some way.
    I think you're confusing Blago with Polanski, or Letterman.
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 19:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, good for you, Americans. Let the Brazilian taxpayer fund the Olympics.
    Works for me.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 19:46
    Congratiulations, RIO, you got it!
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 20:03
    Originally posted by telerion

Please enlighten me. Who was the last President to personally lobby for the Olympics?

"What President wouldn't have lobbied for the Olympics?" -telerion
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 20:141 edit
    Please enlighten me. Who was the last President to personally lobby for the Olympics?

[b]"What President wouldn't have lobbied for the Olympics?"
    -telerion[/b]
    Let's see. The Brazilian president did this year. Putin has in the past. Other heads of state did such as King Juan Carlos and the Japanese PM this year. Also Tony Blair did in the past.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree