1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Your mp3 player wouldn't exist had the ipod not blazed the trail.
    That's not true. Apple didn't invent the mp3 player. They just created a very popular one.
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 02:543 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    That's not true. Apple didn't invent the mp3 player. They just created a very popular one.
    iTunes, and the ability to sync that content across devices is what made the pod/phone/pad (sounds like ingredients to a Chinese take away meal) such an enduring success. You didn't have to put up with all the DRM windows media player crap or Sony's insanity, when you embraced Itunes.

They used to say, the biggest name in the music biz was Jobs.

Apple was never one thing. And they were more often than not, not the first on the block with anything. But it is the way everything is integrated together into a total user experience, that even as a non mac user, I have to take my hat off to and praise the Jobs!
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 03:15
    Originally posted by kmax87
    iTunes, and the ability to sync that content across devices is what made the pod/phone/pad (sounds like ingredients to a Chinese take away meal) such an enduring success. You didn't have to put up with all the DRM windows media player crap or Sony's insanity, when you embraced Itunes.

Apple ...[text shortened]... ser experience, that even as a non mac user, I have to take my hat off to and praise the Jobs!
    I'm not denying any of that.

Mp3 players and other media players were increasing in popularity and variety when the ipod came out and even if apple disappeared they still would have.

Apple did a great job of developing a great user experience that helped them produce the most popular mp3 player line. However, they did not create the market for mp3 players nor did they invent the idea of them.

There's no way of knowing what the downloadable music industry would be like without Apple, but it would exist in one form or another. That doesn't mean that Apple and Jobs weren't innovators in that arena, they just didn't build the arena or create the sport that they played.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 04:52
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I'm not denying any of that.

Mp3 players and other media players were increasing in popularity and variety when the ipod came out and even if apple disappeared they still would have.

Apple did a great job of developing a great user experience that helped them produce the most popular mp3 player line. However, they did not create the market for mp3 ...[text shortened]... ators in that arena, they just didn't build the arena or create the sport that they played.
    True. They did not create the arena or the sport, but they became so successfull at it that they spawned a cult of emulation and basically redisigned the arena's playing field in the process. My HTC Android would not be the product it is without Apple's success in the arena. Would it ever have been this good without them? I very much doubt it. But one thing is for sure, the pace and direction at which innovation has come to the personal IT space will forever be Apple's enduring legacy.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 06:48
    I-

don't care.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 09:54
    A true American hero.

A sad, sad day.

:'(

Rest in peace.
    Bless him in death but I can't help but thinking that the world would have been better off if he had never been born.

Many of his innovations have isolated ourselves and made us smaller.

He just should have found a way to make a better vaccuum instead of innovations that dumb us down.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 12:02
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I-

don't care.
    ...is that a free app?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Bless him in death but I can't help but thinking that the world would have been better off if he had never been born.

He just should have found a way to make a better vaccuum instead of innovations that dumb us down.
    Yea, sonny.

When I was a wee ladd, we didn't have them newfangled I-thigums. We walked 20 miles to school each way, in the snow, even in July. It built character.
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 13:58

-said the man sitting alone behind his computer in his mom's basement.
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 14:31
    Yea, sonny.

When I was a wee ladd, we didn't have them newfangled I-thigums. We walked 20 miles to school each way, in the snow, even in July. It built character.
    Yup, and according to Bill Cosby the walk was all uphill, both ways. 🙂
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 14:58

And exploited his workers. Don't forget the fact he was the 110th richest man in the world!! 😠

When will President Obama come out and demand that the state take a large portion of his estate?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 15:40
    Originally posted by kmax87

Apple ...[text shortened]... ser experience, that even as a non mac user, I have to take my hat off to and praise the Jobs!
    iTunes is horrible and no Apple product offers anything that you can't get for a much lower price and the same or better quality.
  13. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 15:47
    Jobs called on his followers to STAY HUNGRY STAY FOOLISH - this was intended to encourage innovation. Although his pay rates at Foxconn in China it had a more literal meaning!

However he was at deigning sexy, functional well priced products. He is responsible for a lot of economic growth.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 17:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    iTunes is horrible and no Apple product offers anything that you can't get for a much lower price and the same or better quality.
    Ha!

The market really agrees with you on that one.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 20:32
    Ha!

The market really agrees with you on that one.
    Once upon a time the market bought up pet rocks by the truckload...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree