1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 17:45
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Check your timeline on that one, as to when the pc product does better for less.
    Also see how long your cigarette break has to be trying to render anything or save a project and work out why Apple is the AV industry standard. At its most basic, the Apple will pretty much always do more per clock cycle than any other similarly priced and spec'd box.

There ...[text shortened]... ct that for the past 15 years or so windows machines have been playing a long game of catch-up.
    PCs rule where it really matters - they get big name games first.
  2. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:49
    A few years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope, we were optimistic happy and rich now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope!
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:54
    Originally posted by invigorate
    A few years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope, we were optimistic happy and rich now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope!
    😀
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 09:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    RIP Steve Jobs
    Yes. His passing is rightfully mourned. I used a Mac as a home computer for many years in Japan and also when I was the creative director of an advertising agency in Australia - where its capacity for handling graphics made it industry standard (at that time anyway... when I'd go to a recording studio to produce ads, they used Macs too).

However, his passing does not touch me so deeply, to be honest. When someone like - say - Manfred Eicher leaves this world, it will be a loss that I will reflect upon with much more sadness as his work has affected me for more than 30 years, and done so in a much more personal and meaningful way.

In fact I could probably list hundreds of public figures - writers, artists, activists, leaders, entrepreneurs etc. - whose passing would rank above Steve Jobs in terms of intensity and sincerity of regret and in terms of the degree of personal meaning that genuine grief is rooted in.

Does anyone else feel the same? Or was Steve Jobs in your top 5 or top 10 of your Very-Sad-To-See-Them-Go?
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 09:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. His passing is rightfully mourned. I used a Mac as a home computer for many years in Japan and also when I was the creative director of an advertising agency in Australia - where its capacity for handling graphics made it industry standard (at that time anyway... when I'd go to a recording studio to produce ads, they used Macs too).

However, his passing ...[text shortened]... else feel the same? Or was Steve Jobs in your top 5 or top 10 of your Very-Sad-To-See-Them-Go?
    For all intents and purposes 56 is still pretty much in the prime of your life. I think the flood of empathy has as much to do with surprise and frustration at lost promise. You know it was not about him you know.....

I think Jon Stewart summed it up best, when he said we were hoping for him to be around a lot longer so we could drain a lot more out of him before he left. A bit like an alien who had landed and gave you this really cool stuff and was gone before he could explain what the green button was for.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 09:45
    For all intents and purposes 56 is still pretty much in the prime of your life. I think the flood of empathy has as much to do with surprise and frustration at lost promise. You know it was not about him you know.....

I think Jon Stewart summed it up best, when he said we were hoping for him to be around a lot longer so we could drain a lot more out of him ...[text shortened]... e you this really cool stuff and was gone before he could explain what the green button was for.
    Yes. I understand fully the public outpouring of grief at Jobs' death and I understand what he has done or might have done. I also understand that the grief might be sincere and heartfelt in many many cases, and not just a kind of vicarious hype pervading the news cycle for a while. However, I would have found an answer to the question I posed more interesting.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 10:152 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. I understand fully the public outpouring of grief at Jobs' death and I understand what he has done or might have done. I also understand that the grief might be sincere and heartfelt in many many cases, and not just a kind of vicarious hype pervading the news cycle for a while. However, I would have found an answer to the question I posed more interesting.
    Other than my dad passing 4 years ago, I think the last time I was really affected by someones death was when Steve Biko was killed by the South African apartheid regime some 34 years ago.

edit: but this is thread about Steve Jobs, the passion and vision behind Apple. I found the ranking of the dead a bit ghoulish.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 10:41
    ...but this is thread about Steve Jobs, the passion and vision behind Apple. I found the ranking of the dead a bit ghoulish.
    Ghoulish? Odd retort, that. If one is not able to reflect on the actual nature and significance of the personal and public grief that Steve Jobs' death has evoked, on a thread about Steve Jobs' death, then I suppose a discussion involving you about such an angle - i.e. his death, the grief, proportionality and personal relevance - as opposed to "the passion and vision behind Apple" - is just not going to happen. 😵
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 10:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ghoulish? Odd retort, that. If one is not able to reflect on the actual nature and significance of the personal and public grief that Steve Jobs' death has evoked, on a thread about Steve Jobs' death, then I suppose a discussion involving you about such an angle - i.e. his death, the grief, proportionality and personal relevance - as opposed to "the passion and vision behind Apple" - is just not going to happen. 😵
    Tell me more about Manfred Eicher. What is it about him that will much more affect you than the passing of Steve Jobs?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 11:12
    Tell me more about Manfred Eicher. What is it about him that will much more affect you than the passing of Steve Jobs?
    Manfred Eicher? Well, as I said, his life's work. It was just an example. I am not trying to persuade anyone to feel more or less sad than they do - or I do - about this public figure or that public figure. Perhaps that was why you think my original comment was ghoulish? I was simply wondering if anyone has had cause to reflect on the nature - the proportionality and personal relevance - of grief in this era of seemingly exponential emotion/analysis on the net and in the media. If it has not given you cause to reflect on this, then maybe my question simply isn't for you. 😵
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 13:131 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

However, his passing ...[text shortened]... else feel the same? Or was Steve Jobs in your top 5 or top 10 of your Very-Sad-To-See-Them-Go?
    Well, obviously I'd be more touched by the death of a friend of family member, but as for public figures, there aren't many for whom I'm feel more empathy than for Jobs. As Kmax says, he was young. But more than that, he was self-made and he personally pushed his underdog company to new heights of creative genius.

Also, it's the way he deteriorated before our eyes. From the young shark to the middle aged star to the whale harpooned by a vicious cancer to the point that his stage presence was almost cringe worthy near the end of his career, he has a very public battle with his health problems even while in the midst of a CEO career that was more successful than ever.

I do not think I would feel the same level of sympathy for an artist or politician. Maybe Herman Wouk or Tom Wolfe, but the former is pushing 100 and the latter is no spring chicken either. An athlete? Nah. I like watching sports, but I don't really sympathize with the athletes much as individuals. A politician? Maybe. But it would have to be a darn sympathetic one.
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 17:28
    I bothered me more when Amy Winehouse died.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 21:281 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

I'd say he is. I have lived in the San Francisco area since before Apple, very near their HQ for some years, knew early Apple employees, and experienced the remarkable atmosphere of entrepreneurial creativity that was personified in him and them, and that enlivened the times. When I think about it I realize that I was at work in a building less than a block away, at the very moment that, he was visiting Xerox Parc (Palo Alto Research Center, now just called PARC) looking at a prototype three-button mouse that they had developed. They did not see how it could be simplified and made an essential aspect of consumer-friendly desk top computing. He even gave them a breakthrough idea on the "elevator shaft" scroll bar that is at the right of your screen. They didn't use that idea, but he didn't forget it.

That's all the rational part of it. More importantly, I just have to acknowledge that the sadness is there in me when I see the "Think Different" ad that he narrates, and largely created, at the bottom of this link:

http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=526&doc_id=234245&f_src=internetevolution_gnews

There is more than one person in that clip who is in my top ten.

That said, I am sadder when someone who is in the midst of leading important change, or has been given hopeful allegiance as a leader of same, is taken, like MLK; possibly Benazir Bhutto. Sometimes it is not so much the identity of the person, it is that the violence itself subverts and prevents a process that is underway and has hope of progress. That part doesn't apply so much to Steve Jobs.
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    25 Oct '11 14:21
    Now that we've gotten over it a bit. How do we reconcile Job's pervasive and transformative influence over our lives with the suicide nets at FoXconn that helped make the transformation possible?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree