1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 18:43
    @kevcvs57 said
    ‘Free speech’ doesn’t impel anyone to listen to, or repeat what you say in any medium.
    You should be free to say what you like but I must be free to not listen to what you say. Facebook and Twitter are making commercial judgements when they ban certain hate speech and conspiracy theories. They’ve crunched the numbers and they’ve decided that they will lose more advertisers ...[text shortened]... n groups and opinions than they do by banning them. It’s a private business and it acts accordingly.
    That is how the Nazis rationalized it.

Facebook and Twitter have taken on the role of publisher. They cannot legally have it both ways.

YouTube
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 18:461 edit
    @suzianne said
    As they should. That's a public danger.
    Then fact check it.
    They want it censored because their fact checks will be fact checked and proven wrong and they know it.

Are you for repealing the 1st constitutional amendment? Free speech is a public danger, right? Admit it, you want to destroy free speech because you think it is dangerous.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 18:552 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Then fact check it.
    They want it censored because their fact checks will be fact checked and proven wrong and they know it.

Are you for repealing the 1st constitutional amendment? Free speech is a public danger, right? Admit it, you want to destroy free speech because you think it is dangerous.
    It has been fact-checked. Anti-vaxxers are going the way of creationists and flat-earthers; no one cares about their opinions because they're wrong and loony.

Regarding the 1st Amendment, it's a privately owned website. The 1st Amendment only protects from government hindrance of free speech.

That said, I don't see why FB or Twitter blocked this story and I don't agree that they should.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 19:091 edit
    @vivify said
    It has been fact-checked. Anti-vaxxers are going the way of creationists and flat-earthers; no one cares about their opinions because they're wrong and loony.

Regarding the 1st Amendment, it's a privately owned website. The 1st Amendment only protects from government hindrance of free speech.

That said, I don't see why FB or Twitter blocked this story and I don't agree that they should.
    What has been fact checked? You need to be specific.
    Define anti-vaxx. You like using the term when you have no idea what it really means. Everyone is anti-vaxx. Is the US government anti-vaxx because they made it a crime to buy a vaccine from Russia? Yes or no?

If I can find one single case of vaccines causing more harm than good I can prove you wrong. Here it is:

https://www.globalresearch.ca/un-forced-admit-gates-funded-vaccine-causing-polio-outbreak-africa/5723137

You are wrong and loony.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 19:46
    @vivify said

Why would they block the accounts regarding the latest news on Biden, which, to me, is to shield Biden, but yet, NEVER blocked accounts which wrote bad stuff about Trump? No answer requested, just wanted to get some Suzianne-type hypocrisy on the record.
  6. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:04
    @averagejoe1 said
    My 2 cents, I of course want Freedom more than anything, so it is better to allow (?) these decisions by corps rather than government getting involved. We are people, corps have been adjudicated as entities sharing the same status, so we can just have at it see where the chips fall. I know, I know, my thought is only worth 2 cents.
    The news corps are responsible for information flow to the public, so NO, they should not be allowed to brainwash the public by feeding them only the info that fits their agenda and ignoring the truth.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:17
    @metal-brain said
    What has been fact checked? You need to be specific.
    Define anti-vaxx. You like using the term when you have no idea what it really means. Everyone is anti-vaxx. Is the US government anti-vaxx because they made it a crime to buy a vaccine from Russia? Yes or no?
    Don't be stupid. Am I anti-vax if I don't think you should inject yourself with bleach? I repeat: don't be stupid.

If I can find one single case of vaccines causing more harm than good I can prove you wrong.

*sigh*. That's an incredibly dumb statement. Polio vaccines caused the disease to be nearly wiped out; one instance now suddenly disproves vaccines? One outbreak disproves decades of peer-review scientific study on vaccines?

"I love the poorly educated."---Trump, 2016.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:206 edits
    @averagejoe1 said
    Why would they block the accounts regarding the latest news on Biden, which, to me, is to shield Biden, but yet, NEVER blocked accounts which wrote bad stuff about Trump? No answer requested, just wanted to get some Suzianne-type hypocrisy on the record.
    To be fair, right-wing outlets are the source for the vast majority of misinformation and propaganda. See Pizzagate, QAnon, Infowars, Birthers, creationists, antivaxxers and even Trump himself, who was recorded admitting he lied about the severity of COVID. Whodey, a Republican, was caught countless times posting fake right-wing conspiracy stories on this forum.

So maybe blocking this story was a reflex from already banning countless false right-ring crap.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:25
    @metal-brain said
    Then fact check it.

Where'd you get that?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:55
    @vivify said
    Don't be stupid. Am I anti-vax if I don't think you should inject yourself with bleach? I repeat: don't be stupid.

If I can find one single case of vaccines causing more harm than good I can prove you wrong.

*sigh*. That's an incredibly dumb statement. Polio vaccines caused the disease to be nearly wiped out; one instance now suddenly disproves vaccines? One ...[text shortened]... cades of peer-review scientific study on vaccines?

"I love the poorly educated."---Trump, 2016.
    I'm not talking about any vaccine, I am talking about this specific vaccine.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/un-forced-admit-gates-funded-vaccine-causing-polio-outbreak-africa/5723137

It caused more harm than good. People who are concerned about vaccine safety are NOT anti-vax. You are resorting to Trump style name calling rather than admit you would not take any vaccine. Nobody in their right mind would. That makes everyone anti-vax by your criteria, even you.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 21:02
    @suzianne said
    Where'd you get that?
    You fear freedom of speech as dangerous, just like Saudi Arabia. If it is dangerous on social media it is dangerous everywhere.

When a negative Trump story comes out and they censor that will you be just as compliant with the censorship? What if it is about Trump having sex with a young girl on Epstein's island? You would not be such a cheerleader of censorship then, would you?
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 21:14
    @dood111 said
    The news corps are responsible for information flow to the public, so NO, they should not be allowed to brainwash the public by feeding them only the info that fits their agenda and ignoring the truth.
    Keeping in mind that the various news media report in diff ways, diff slants on the facts. Each of them thinks they ARE being responsible. Even the ones who 'interpret' the facts before reporting the actual exact fact, or, avoiding a particular fact if it does not fit the agenda of the day. They think it is OK, they really do.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 21:20
    @kevcvs57 said
    They offer a service to the public, by refusing to offer that service to a member of the public based on sexual orientation they are being discriminatory. Do you ever wonder how many gay bakers have decorated and sold straight themed cakes without prejudice.
    facebook and twitter are a service to the public.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 22:253 edits
    @metal-brain said
    I'm not talking about any vaccine, I am talking about this specific vaccine.

It caused more harm than good. People who are concerned about vaccine safety are NOT anti-vax. You are resorting to Trump style name calling rather than admit you would not take any vaccine. Nobody in their right mind would. That makes everyone anti-vax by your criteria, even you.
    Objections to one specific vaccine for a valid reason doesn't make someone anti-vaccine. Objectors to vaccination in general or scientifically approved innoculations, are anti-vaxxers. Such people are mostly conservative.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 22:35
    @vivify said
    Objections to one specific vaccine for a valid reason doesn't make someone anti-vaccine. Objectors to vaccination in general or don't have a sound reason based in science for medically approved innoculations, who are anti-vaxxers. Such people are mostly conservative.
    I am not an objector to vaccination in general. Why did you call me an anti-vaxer?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree