1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:333 edits
    Originally posted by sh76

No one ever said "bring us you needy people who are already free so they can get handouts."
    I think you've hit the nail on the head with that comment.

The difference between the US and most of the rest of the world is that the rest of the world doesn't think health care is a "handout".

😞
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:34
    Nobody ever said "bring us your needy." What the poem says is bring us "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." The assumption is that the huddled masses will work to improve our society once they get here and become free.

No one ever said "bring us you needy people who are already free so they can get handouts." I believe the appropriate line instead is "Feed your own needy."
    Yeah that poem has been quoted so often that people think it's somehow written into the constitution that America is supposed to be some kind of dumping ground for the world's masses and we have to have an open door policy for anyone from anywhere. To argue against it is considered some kind of treason.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:35
    Originally posted by uzless
    I recently visited the united states...various states on a lengthy trip. The thing that stood out the most to me was the amount of elderly people that had jobs. Not good jobs. Cashiers mostly. Cashiers in dollars stores, clothing stores, hell even a liquor store. Finally, I asked a very old lady in San Diego, California (who had to be in her 90's) why s ...[text shortened]... er state.

The US system may provide good treatment, just make sure your wallet is full.
    That is sad.

I wonder why Medicare and/or Medicaid wouldn't cover her treatment.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:37
    I think you've hit the nail on the head with that comment.

The difference between the US and most of the rest of the world is that the rest of the world doesn't think health care is a "handout".

😞
    Really, now?

If I'm not a citizen of, say, Sweden, can I just walk into any Stockholm hospital and get all the treatment I want for free?

Or, do I have to be a legal resident in that country to get free healthcare?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:41
    I recently visited the united states...various states on a lengthy trip. The thing that stood out the most to me was the amount of elderly people that had jobs. Not good jobs. Cashiers mostly. Cashiers in dollars stores, clothing stores, hell even a liquor store. Finally, I asked a very old lady in San Diego, California (who had to be in her 90's) why s ...[text shortened]... er state.

The US system may provide good treatment, just make sure your wallet is full.
    Fascinating story.

Odd how I've lived in the US all my life and never seen anything like what you describe.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:42
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Fascinating story.

Odd how I've lived in the US all my life and never seen anything like what you describe.
    Neither have I.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:453 edits
    Fascinating story.

what state? Are you in the north?

I was mostly in the South. California/texas/florida/louseyanna/georgia/carolinas

EDIT: Keep in mind, the places you go in your own state are likely not the same places that tourists go so you might just not see it.

EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them considering that works out to about 1 in 8 Americans that don't have health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:47

I was mostly in the South. California/texas/florida/louseyanna/georgia/carolinas
    That could be a difference. "Red" states tend to fund programs less than "blue" states. Of course, CA is a blue state. but, then again, they're bankrupt anyway.
  9. Los Angeles
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:50
    Fascinating story.

I thought it was hilarious. Kind of reminded me of Ted Kennedy's story in the recent edition of TIME, where he picks the $47 salary of a mayor in what has to be the smallest town in America as an example of someone unable to pay medical bills.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:531 edit
    EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them considering that works out to about 1 in 8 Americans that don't have health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.
    What makes it surprising is specifically that you're referring to older people.

Older people are eligible for Medicare and Social Security and, if they're retired, to Medicaid as well.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:53
    Really, now?

If I'm not a citizen of, say, Sweden, can I just walk into any Stockholm hospital and get all the treatment I want for free?

Or, do I have to be a legal resident in that country to get free healthcare?
    Of course you need to be a citizen. Canada is the same way. You have to live here in order to not have to pay medical bills. Tourists do not receive free health care here, but immigrants and refugees do.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:55
    Originally posted by SlyArmenian
    I thought it was hilarious.
    I'm not surprised.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:56
    Of course you need to be a citizen. Canada is the same way. You have to live here in order to not have to pay medical bills. Tourists do not receive free health care here, but immigrants and refugees do.
    Exactly; so your whole point about "bring me your needy" for healthcare does not reference a scenario that would be any different under all these systems where healthcare is considered a "right" and not a handout.
  14. Los Angeles
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 20:57

EDIT: Keep in mind, the places you go in your own state are likely not the same places that tourists go so you might just not see it.

EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised ...[text shortened]... ave health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.
    It's hard to determine a stat like that, especially in California, considering that probably 3 in 8 Southern Californian's are illegal, not to mention that 3 in 8's 5 kids.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:051 edit
    EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them considering that works out to about 1 in 8 Americans that don't have health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.[/b]
    it's not like people who lack healthcare coverage go around wearing signs saying "I don't have any healthcare insurance!!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree