1. Germany
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 17:22
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    mass migrations of sick people? doubt it.

http://www.adz2go.com/mailmgt/templates/JonBarron/Jan08/newsletterlink.html

It is not a coincidence that time after time, when doctors go on strike, mortality rates drop dramatically in those cities or countries. In 1976, in Bogota, Columbia medical doctors went on strike for 52 days, with only emergency car ...[text shortened]... or AIDS. Right behind prescription drugs, medical error is the fifth leading cause of death.
    Yes, I think doctors are generally too trusted; people go to the hospital for small things, assuming that they will at least not be worse off afterwards.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 17:58
    I do agree with the underlying point here. Medical errors are a significant problem, as are the risks of getting a hospital-related infection. And no one wants to admit that some doctors are a lot more competent than others.

One scary thought --- every surgeon has to have a first patient. Who wants to be that patient?
  3. Los Angeles
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 18:27
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I do agree with the underlying point here. Medical errors are a significant problem, as are the risks of getting a hospital-related infection. And no one wants to admit that some doctors are a lot more competent than others.

One scary thought --- every surgeon has to have a first patient. Who wants to be that patient?
    Los Angeles County has UCLA Medical students treat and operate on "lucky" jail inmates.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 18:31
    Originally posted by SlyArmenian
    Los Angeles County has UCLA Medical students treat and operate on "lucky" jail inmates.
    I guess that would be a deterrence for would-be criminals. Do the crime, and you get the guinea-pig healthcare plan. 😀
  5. Joined
    09 Mar '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:153 edits
    think its like chalk and cheese.... the US system has always been private... since the 50s the UK, and most European Countries have been public ... with a lot of public infrastructure: the NHS is the UKs biggest employer (i think)

It doesn't surprise me the US cancer stats are better, particularly lung cancer as there's prejudice sometimes in the NHS about treating smokers / drinkers ..despite working tax paying ones being the biggest contributors. maybe profit links to innovation but not necessarily good long term care for people

I see the NHS as the best value insurance I can get. but i wouldn't rule out private insurance
    if i could afford it ... that 'if' is what people seem to criticise the American system for.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 21:35
    I was interested in the study mentioned by the OP, so I went to have a look at the site of Lancet Oncology, unfortunately, it seems you need to have a subscription to be able to read articles. None the less, I stumbled upon another pretty interesting article, here even the summary was pretty enlightening.

1) A mention that the UK (along with Denmark), falls behind other western European countries. In the light of this it seems a bit disingenuous to compare the USA with the worst performing western European socialized healthcare and use that to scare everyone while many other countries are doing better.

2) There is of course the comparison of the USA and Europe as a whole, do you want to know why the USA wins ? Problem with using this as a socialized vs. free market is that Europe isn't only Western European style socialized care, it's also the Balkan and all those ex-USSR countries. Now, I'd venture a guess as to which direction these countries take the European average.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 05:15
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I guess that would be a deterrence for would-be criminals. Do the crime, and you get the guinea-pig healthcare plan. 😀
    according to anti-DP advocates, even the threat of the death penalty is not a deterrent. how would care performed by unripe doctors be a deterrent?
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 05:23
    Originally posted by Barts
    I was interested in the study mentioned by the OP, so I went to have a look at the site of Lancet Oncology, unfortunately, it seems you need to have a subscription to be able to read articles. None the less, I stumbled upon another pretty interesting article, here even the summary was pretty enlightening.

1) A mention that the UK (along with Denmark), falls ...[text shortened]... es. Now, I'd venture a guess as to which direction these countries take the European average.
    if you're going to cherrypick, we get to cast out the lowest-performing states as well ... HAH! ...
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 08:58
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    if you're going to cherrypick, we get to cast out the lowest-performing states as well ... HAH! ...
    Please do tell how I am cherry picking. Is it by saying that when comparing western European states with the USA, you could occasionally pick one that isn't the worst (wait isn't that the definition of cherry picking) ? Or is it by saying that when comparing socialized and free market healthcare, you should compare countries that are comparable ?
  10. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 14:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    Nobody ever said "bring us your needy." What the poem says is bring us "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." The assumption is that the huddled masses will work to improve our society once they get here and become free.

No one ever said "bring us you needy people who are already free so they can get handouts." I believe the appropriate line instead is "Feed your own needy."
    Rec'd

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree