1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:50
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Why is the cancer death rate higher in Great Britain than the US?
    Could it have anything to do with the extended waiting and rationing of healthcare? Well done, dems… we’re on the way! All Hail 0bamacare!
    "The journal Lancet Oncology has reported that American cancer patients live longer than those anywhere else on the globe.
    "American women have a ...[text shortened]... /are_we_scaremongers_96961.html

Socialized medicine.
    - - -
    Be careful what you wish for…
    No matter what anyone says, the system that causes the longest wait period to see a doctor will be the one that contributes to higher mortality rates. So which is faster I wonder....?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:531 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    No matter what anyone says, the system that causes the longest wait period to see a doctor will be the one that contributes to higher mortality rates. So which is faster I wonder....?
    For those who lack coverage, the wait period would be infinite unless they can pay for it themselves. Does anyone factor this into the data?
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 22:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    i thought mortality rates go down in areas where doctors are on strike.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 22:303 edits
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i thought mortality rates go down in areas where doctors are on strike.
    makes sense -- all the sick people move to where the doctors aren't on strike.

so places with the best healthcare systems would attract sick people to come to them, and their mortality rates would thus rise -- and places with the lousiest healthcare (that sick people flee from) would have low mortality
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 23:17
    mass migrations of sick people? doubt it.

http://www.adz2go.com/mailmgt/templates/JonBarron/Jan08/newsletterlink.html

It is not a coincidence that time after time, when doctors go on strike, mortality rates drop dramatically in those cities or countries. In 1976, in Bogota, Columbia medical doctors went on strike for 52 days, with only emergency care available. The death rate dropped by 35%. Also, in 1976, in Los Angeles County, a similar doctors' strike resulted in an 18% drop in mortality. As soon as the strike was over, the death rate went back to normal. A 50% decrease in mortality occurred in Israel in 1973 when there was a one month doctor's strike -- with similar results seen in doctor strikes in 1983 and 2000! This should not be surprising when you also note the Institute of Medicine's report, To Err is Human, states that medical errors cause as many as 98,000 deaths each year in the United States alone -- more than traffic accidents, breast cancer or AIDS. Right behind prescription drugs, medical error is the fifth leading cause of death.
  6. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:18
    Originally posted by bill718
    Missing in all your impressive looking stats, is the fact that the average Brit has a longer life span than the average American by quite a few years...so why don't you tell the whole story on healthcare, rather than just the side of it you want people to see?? 😏
    Wow, something so wrong that even sam the sham could prove it wrong...

by a few years? what crack did you pull that out of and then smoke?
  7. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:21
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Why is the cancer death rate higher in Great Britain than the US?
    Could it have anything to do with the extended waiting and rationing of healthcare? Well done, dems… we’re on the way! All Hail 0bamacare!
    "The journal Lancet Oncology has reported that American cancer patients live longer than those anywhere else on the globe.
    "American women have a ...[text shortened]... /are_we_scaremongers_96961.html

Socialized medicine.
    - - -
    Be careful what you wish for…
    Good point.
  8. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:231 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    I recently visited the united states...various states on a lengthy trip. The thing that stood out the most to me was the amount of elderly people that had jobs. Not good jobs. Cashiers mostly. Cashiers in dollars stores, clothing stores, hell even a liquor store. Finally, I asked a very old lady in San Diego, California (who had to be in her 90's) why s ...[text shortened]... r state.

The US system may provide good treatment, just make sure your wallet is full.
    Then after he left, a small shaky voice said "sucker!"
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Really, now?

If I'm not a citizen of, say, Sweden, can I just walk into any Stockholm hospital and get all the treatment I want for free?

Or, do I have to be a legal resident in that country to get free healthcare?
    He was talking about the difference between the countries in public versus private healthcare. He did not make it a foreign-born immigrant vs native citizen issue.
  10. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:29
    Originally posted by SlyArmenian
    It's hard to determine a stat like that, especially in California, considering that probably 3 in 8 Southern Californian's are illegal, not to mention that 3 in 8's 5 kids.
    Cite your source and act your age (not your iq)
  11. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:33
    Originally posted by uzless
    US social programs don't pay for everything. Many many older people have to work to pay for their bills including medication, assisted housing, home care, food etc.

Look, you can google it if you don't want to take my word for it. Here's some info as a start: It also appears my 25% of all personal bankruptcies in the US being caused by medical debts is ...[text shortened]... 007, diabetics paid $26,971, and those with injuries paid $25,096, the researchers found.
    So people should start saving more and buying health insurance more... in China there are not many benefits to just getting old, so people are smart enough to save. No safety net may end up being better for people's long-run survival rates and wealth-creation... (not for a few very unfortunate non-survivors maybe...)
  12. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 05:36
    you'd kick a 90-year-old grandma out of her job in favor of an illegal immigrant?
    He didn't say that, in fact nobody said that... until you did.
  13. Los Angeles
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:54
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Cite your source and act your age (not your iq)
    Hilarious. I said "probably." Funny that you fight facetiousness with sarcasm, a bit contradicting isn't it?
    I usually find that people who make jokes regarding IQ, quite often have a very low one. I hope that isn't the case with you.
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:58
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Good point.
    you can't describe the idea as a failure just because it didn't work well in some countries.

the current system isn't working, you can't just ignore that.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 16:19
    mass migrations of sick people? doubt it.

http://www.adz2go.com/mailmgt/templates/JonBarron/Jan08/newsletterlink.html

It is not a coincidence that time after time, when doctors go on strike, mortality rates drop dramatically in those cities or countries. In 1976, in Bogota, Columbia medical doctors went on strike for 52 days, with only emergency car ...[text shortened]... or AIDS. Right behind prescription drugs, medical error is the fifth leading cause of death.
    If you had a serious medical condition that required continual medical supervision, and all of that supervision suddely went on strike, you'd be very quick to move somewhere else.

Perhaps you'd be one the few brave souls to stick it out, but I suspect you'd be in the minority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree