1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    A restricted supply of money does not mean it is "not needed". What are the costs down the road of not tackling obesity? Why not make cuts to parts of the military expenditure that can be shown to be "not needed" whilst still being able to defend the US.
    I guess that is where we must agree to disagree. I exist in a world where the restriction on money restricts what you can and cannot do. You live on a budget that is within your means.

People like you can't understand such principles.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 16:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I guess that is where we must agree to disagree. I exist in a world where the restriction on money restricts what you can and cannot do. You live on a budget that is within your means.

People like you who can't understand such principles.
    "People like you who can't understand such principles."

Of course I do. I also exist in a world "where the restriction on money restricts what you can and cannot do". I also "live on a budget that is within [my] means." You sound a bit silly making assertions about me based on me thinking that some health research is "needed" and you thinking it's "not needed".

As for the U.S., on a restricted budget, I reckon it "can do" research into a health issue that affects millions and millions of Americans. I think cuts can be made elsewhere. the fact that we do not agree about what should be cut does not mean I "can't understand such principles".
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 16:33
    You may think that people have to live on a budget, but you do not believe the government should live on a budget.

If you think this study is worth going into debt, then we have to agree to disagree. Until the government pays off its debt, no program like that should exist. It is as simple as that. Cut all such expenditures until the goal is met.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 16:36
    You may think that people have to live on a budget, but you do not believe the government should live on a budget.
    Actually I do believe the government should live on a budget. You're just making stuff up. You won't find a single post by me on this forum supporting deficits and governments going into debt. And you will find perhaps hudreds of posts over the last 7 years or so where I made suggestions for cutbacks. You're just making stuff up, Eladar.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 16:39
    If you think this study is worth going into debt, then we have to agree to disagree. Until the government pays off its debt, no program like that should exist. It is as simple as that. Cut all such expenditures until the goal is met.
    A $1.5 Million study into obesity is not the cause of your government's debt. If we were to cut $1.5 Million off military spending or farm subsidies, would you let this important health research continue. You claim it's "not needed" but you have not said why. You simply changed the subject.
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 18:04
    When they did this study on fat lesbo's which one of the pair was the fattest ,the one pretending to be a bloke or the woman one ?😕
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 18:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You don't think that obesity in the US is worth studying?

Previous research has shown a link between male homosexuality and non-obesity and female homosexuality and obesity.

Researching this might find various factors which contribute or diminish obesity, in the long running saving millions of dollars on health-related spending.

Na. Best bomb some or other 3rd world nation and eat a bloody double whopper.
    Obviously its worth studying but why pay all that
    money when we have experts like Joe?

If you are saying more lesbians are fat than
    women that are heterosexual I won't argue. Just
    saying it doesn't take a big study to figure it out.

(I'm not sure if Joe has the answers already or is
    advocating a small study)
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why is a study into causes of obesity in a minority group a waste?
    Does your crystal ball tell you it will be a waste?
    I guess there are no higher priorities, and no ways of saving a trillion dollars our government spends which it doesn't have.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    A $1.5 Million study into obesity is not the cause of your government's debt. If we were to cut $1.5 Million off military spending or farm subsidies, would you let this important health research continue. You claim it's "not needed" but you have not said why. You simply changed the subject.
    Good deeds are infinite, but funding for them isn't.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:41
    Originally posted by normbenign
    And it's impossible for any government to run without literally everyone disagreeing where some of the money goes. You disagree with the grant. Other things I disagree with.

Considering how much of a problem obesity in the US is, and how much it costs American tax payers through our health care system, I think a tiny grant that amounts to about 0.0000006% of 2012 tax revenue is worth it.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:50
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    And it's impossible for any government to run without literally everyone disagreeing where some of the money goes. You disagree with the grant. Other things I disagree with.

Considering how much of a problem obesity in the US is, and how much it costs American tax payers through our health care system, I think a tiny grant that amounts to about 0.0000006% of 2012 tax revenue is worth it.
    "Considering how much of a problem obesity in the US is, and how much it costs American tax payers through our health care system, I think a tiny grant that amounts to about 0.0000006% of 2012 tax revenue is worth it."

That seems like an excellent argument for losing the collectivist approach to health care. The other alternative is a total complex of laws that don't leave any choices for people to worry about.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:01
    Medical research is not "good deeds". The U.S. govt. does have $1.5 Million for a study into obesity even though funding is not infinite.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Medical research is not "good deeds". The U.S. govt. does have $1.5 Million for a study into obesity even though funding is not infinite.
    Medical research is a good deed. Is there no medical research which might be a higher priority?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:18
    Is there no medical research which might be a higher priority?
    It seems you're trying to set up false dilemma. Look, I get it: you don't want the money to be spent on this particular thing. But to claim there is not enough money to pay for this particular thing is not true. It's a judgement call and people disagree. Every cut made and every expenditure made involves judgement calls and people will disagree.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    It seems you're trying to set up false dilemma. Look, I get it: you don't want the money to be spent on this particular thing. But to claim there is not enough money to pay for this particular thing is not true. It's a judgement call and people disagree. Every cut made and every expenditure made involves judgement calls and people will disagree.
    Nope, you don't get it. I haven't got anything personal against this particular expense. The real question is should government be empowered to unlimited spending, and to unlimited borrowing? Should they be forced to make choices based on priorities?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree