1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 06:39
    Presidential office holders having a go at their predecessors in various ways is par for course and pretty much always has been.

But here we have the former VP Richard Cheney marketing himself as a pundit on TV News specializing in presidential politics and foreign policy.

What do people think about Cheney's deviation from tradition with regard to what former presidents and vice-presidents say about their successors? Isn't Cheney breaking all kinds of dignity-preserving protocols here?

Is it a welcome new development in U.S. political culture?
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:26
    the tradition that jimmy carter and hillary clinton haven't bothered to follow? that tradition?
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Presidential office holders having a go at their predecessors in various ways is par for course and pretty much always has been.

But here we have the former VP Richard Cheney marketing himself as a pundit on TV News specializing in presidential politics and foreign policy.

What do people think about Cheney's deviation from tradition with regard to what f ...[text shortened]... nity-preserving protocols here?

Is it a welcome new development in U.S. political culture?
    Instead of spouting off on TV, Big Dick and his mate Rummy should be answering questions at the ICC.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:52
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the tradition that jimmy carter and hillary clinton haven't bothered to follow? that tradition?
    I see their contributions differently because I am a non-partisan outsider.

Is Cheney's TV punditry a welcome new development in U.S. political culture?

I would have thought conservatives would have been appalled, no?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I see their contributions differently because I am a non-partisan outsider.

Is Cheney's TV punditry a welcome new development in U.S. political culture?

I would have thought conservatives would have been appalled, no?
    Your politics are extremely partisan!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:55
    Good point about Carter.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:55
    he's kicking back what the democrats have been shoveling out for the past 6 years or so. starting after post-9/11 patriotism wore off. were you complaining about the democrats back then? i forget.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:57
    here is George Bush talking about Bill Clinton, while Bush was still governor.

---

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/527uwabl.asp?pg=2

The current president certainly agrees. "I think you give the commander in chief the benefit of the doubt," said George W. Bush, governor of Texas, on August 20, 1998, the same day as the U.S. counterstrikes. "This is a foreign policy matter. I'm confident he's working on the best intelligence available, and I hope it's successful."

9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 07:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Your politics are extremely partisan!
    In what way? I notice you referred to me as "far left" the other day, which struck me as odd. What would be my manifesto do you think?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:01
    here is George Bush talking about Bill Clinton, while Bush was still governor.

---

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/527uwabl.asp?pg=2

The current president certainly agrees. "I think you give the commander in chief the benefit of the doubt," said George W. Bush, governor of Texas, on August 20, 1998, the sam ...[text shortened]... dent he's working on the best intelligence available, and I hope it's successful."

Has George W. Bush unequivocally distanced himself from Cheney's recent behaviour? A statement from 2009 would be the more telling quote here, surely? I mean, 1998 ?? LOL.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    In what way? I notice you referred to me as "far left" the other day, which struck me as odd. What would be my manifesto do you think?
    Off the top of my head few specifics jump out. I'll do a forum search and see if I can support that assertion, but not right now.

EDIT - so far I've got your tremendous anti-Israel bias and your use of the Guardian as evidence. But then your respect for WWII Allied dead is typically a right wing sorta thing.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:03
    he's kicking back what the democrats have been shoveling out for the past 6 years or so. [...] were you complaining about the democrats back then? i forget.
    Well I am not a supporter of the Democrat Party, if that's what you're asking.

With his "kicking back", isn't Cheney breaking all kinds of dignity-preserving protocols?

Is it, for you, a welcome new development in U.S. political culture?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Off the top of my head few specifics jump out. I'll do a forum search and see if I can support that assertion, but not right now.
    Nah. I see your pronouncement as a harmless attempted slur - in the same spirit as your classic politically autistic "Are you a communist or a capitalist?" - so don't waste any time on my account. So I am "very partisan" and "far left", ATY says so. Political illiteracy worn squarely on your sleeve. LOL.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nah. I see your pronouncement as a harmless attempted slur - in the same spirit as your classic politically autistic "Are you a communist or a capitalist?" - so don't waste any time on my account. So I am "very partisan" and "far left", ATY says so. Political illiteracy worn squarely on your sleeve. LOL.
    When did I say "are you a communist or a capitalist"?

Oh, that's right, you won't support your assertions.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:113 edits
    Your fervent, bitter conflicts with conservatives like whodey and Hugh Glass are more evidence.

There was your recent detailed support for rwingett with respect to Chavez - rwingett was exceptionally admiring if your argument and he is a self described far leftist.

You also use Al-Jazeera as a source, but never a right wing source.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree