1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 08:163 edits
    My father tried to get me interested in fishing when I was a kid. It normally took the form of getting up at some ungodly hour when I would rather be in bed, loading tackle boxes and rods in the car, driving to some godforsaken place I didn't want to be, hiking with loads stuff to the fishing area, getting yelled at because I used the wrong knot to tie the hook and sinker, getting yelled at because I hooked the bait the wrong way, trying to keep quiet while my father cursed violently whenever he would cast his bait and sinker too hard, only to watch the sinker go in one direction and the bait in the other. Occasionally jamming the hook into my finger because the herring bait was so slippery I couldn't grip it correctly, trying to remain calm as my father's anger mounted whenever I caught an occasional fish and he didn't. Smelling the stench of the unfortunate fish I caught as it sat in the sun after hours of fishing, trying to make small talk with my father after 2 hours of silence, only to have him bellow: ARE YOU GOING TO TALK, OR ARE YOU GOING TO FISH!!?? Carrying both tackle boxes back to car while my father while me father carried the rods, and driving back home in the afternoon to listen to my father tell the family his homespun tales of this solemn event, complete with colorful metaphors about the *!@%%!!** tourists that scared all the fish away, and praying to my personal GOD that my mother wouldn't actually attempt to cook the fish because just the thought of eating that stinking creature sent me running for the toilet to ralf up my breakfast. Upon completion of this fulfilling father - son ritual, my father felt compelled to tell me in no uncertain terms "if my FU*@^K*!$!!NG attitude didn't improve he wouldn't take me fishing again. (Wouldn't that be a pity!) After a dozen or so of these uplifting experiences I worked up the courage to tell my father I didn't like fishing, only to have him roll his eyes in disgust as if to say "where did I go wrong with this boy?!" So, I've always wondered. Why do people like fishing?
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 08:55
    Getting away from the b**ch and drinking w/ your buds.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 09:17
    Originally posted by @mchill
    My father tried to get me interested in fishing when I was a kid. It normally took the form of getting up at some ungodly hour when I would rather be in bed, loading tackle boxes and rods in the car, driving to some godforsaken place I didn't want to be, hiking with loads stuff to the fishing area, getting yelled at because I used the wrong knot to tie the h ...[text shortened]... say "where did I go wrong with this boy?!" So, I've always wondered. Why do people like fishing?
    Haha.
    Great post.

I think the majority of fishers just want to flee the house and enjoy some peace and quiet.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 11:58
    I think it's something that you appreciate more with age.

It's also perhaps difficult to comprehend the gap that can exist between a father and a son, and how he can try to bridge it with these sorts of activities but be oblivious to it failing because, ultimately, we're all a bit oblivious sometimes.

Everyone is sort of an island.

And perhaps, in tbe future, you can have a kiddo and have that moment where you realize you want to go fish and hope that the simplicity and silence can somehow bridge the gap.

Idk.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:07
    mchill: Why do People like fishing?

* First of all it seems that you had a hard time with your father, you feel that you suffered hardships without any Profit. No wonder you can't find anything in fishing.

You have to discern fishing in my opinion to fishing in rivers and on sea, further there is a distinction on the style: fly fishing is completely different to angling with sinker and bait...

Some People like the fight against a big Opponent (even with technical help) that would be the big game fishing on sea. especially when targeting fish that isn't edible this probably is more for the ego than anything else.

Some People like to be in silence in nature ...angling is just their excuse to sit around in the creation "doing nothing".

And we have all the ones in between. Some even like the idea of eating archaically what they themselves hunted down and killed.

Some mightbe in for the exercise (fly fishers).
    Some are in for trophys
  6. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:09
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I think it's something that you appreciate more with age.

It's also perhaps difficult to comprehend the gap that can exist between a father and a son, and how he can try to bridge it with these sorts of activities but be oblivious to it failing because, ultimately, we're all a bit oblivious sometimes.

Everyone is sort of an island.

And perhaps ...[text shortened]... ou want to go fish and hope that the simplicity and silence can somehow bridge the gap.

Idk.
    Thank you for trying to understand the father in the Story. maybe it was his idea to Show his Boy how to relax.
    The Boy here could be a bit sqeamich (did the father really do all wrong about sinkers and bait and hooking his son???)
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 13:30
    I think more would question why people lime chess as opposed to fishing.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 14:061 edit
    My father tried to get me interested in fishing when I was a kid. It normally took the form of getting up at some ungodly hour when I would rather be in bed, loading tackle boxes and rods in the car, driving to some godforsaken place I didn't want to be, hiking with loads stuff to the fishing area, getting yelled at because I used the wrong knot to tie the h ...[text shortened]... say "where did I go wrong with this boy?!" So, I've always wondered. Why do people like fishing?
    An interesting question for me as I have recently taken up fishing again after a few decades. I never fished with my father as a kid, but as a teenager I did a lot of ocean fishing with a group of Asian friends (Vietnamese and Chinese). We'd go out very early to dig sand shrimp for bait, then go rock hopping out on the jetty fishing for perch, rock fish and ling cod. It was great fun. We'd catch buckets of fish and then I'd go home with them and enjoy a fishy feast with their huge families.

Recently, one of those fine old friends, who now just happens to work for a fishing rod manufacturer, gifted me with a very nice fishing rod and told me if I didn't use it he'd take it back. And so I took it up again. The jetty, it turns out, is not as easy to hop around on as it used to be, so I have hit the Oregon beach just about every weekend recently, fishing for Redtail Perch right in the surf. These have been solo adventures where I get up very early (normal for me) and hit the big beautiful and empty beach just after sunrise. I walk until I find a spot that looks good, step right into the surf up to my knees or so (wearing waders, Oregon beaches are cold), cast out, and amazingly have caught quite a few fish.

And I love it. There's something about going out into a natural setting and catching your own dinner that makes you feel connected to the natural world. I've found it helps me appreciate all the many blessings in my life, chief among them being life itself.

I've since bought another rod and am planning a trip with my daughter to share the experience with her. I will of course not berate her and make her miserable. Too bad your father ruined it for you. Perhaps you should try again?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 14:34
    You know who else doesn't like fishing? ISIS.

Just saying.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 14:37
    For real though, fishing is great. It's not something you can be good at right away. It takes patience, it takes concentration and it takes skill. Orrrrr you could just toss your line in and smoke a joint and chill. What's not to like? (Other than your dad being a prick).
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 14:39
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    An interesting question for me as I have recently taken up fishing again after a few decades. I never fished with my father as a kid, but as a teenager I did a lot of ocean fishing with a group of Asian friends (Vietnamese and Chinese). We'd go out very early to dig sand shrimp for bait, then go rock hopping out on the jetty fishing for perch, rock fish a ...[text shortened]... her and make her miserable. Too bad your father ruined it for you. Perhaps you should try again?
    Sounds lovely. Wish I was angling right now instead of in this fookin' office.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 15:01
    SISSY...WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT?
  13. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 16:281 edit
    Be it golf, fishing, gaming, chess, reading, hiking, whatever. The unspoken truth is, most of what people occupy their spare time with is at least in part, an excuse to spend time with certain people (or alone) and get away from certain people.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 17:17
    As it happens, I hate fishing too, but the title of this thread should have been "My Father was an Abusive Jackass"
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by @darvlay
    Sounds lovely. Wish I was angling right now instead of in this fookin' office.
    I angle every night after work. Come on up to the lake. Last night i caught 4 large mouth bass that I could put my whole fist inside.

I know how much you love putting your fist inside bass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree