1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 20:22
    @Earl-of-Trumps

Can we agree that cancel culture is not just a liberal thing?

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article249156670.html
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 22:501 edit
    @wildgrass - The article said these teachers want to cut Shakespeare. It didn't say they succeeded.

you are losing sight of the point. It is perfectly Ok to tone down the use of Shakespeare in the school systems.
    But it is being done by some phony propaganda artist browbeating academians and belittling them if they don't reduce the Shakespeare content based on the totally fictitious information that Shakespeare himself and/or all the academians that claim to enjoy him are doing so because it is all based in colonization/slavery and white supremacy. These academians have all the right in the world to start a class action law suit, suing this lefty liar for libel.

-------- willdrgrass
    All we have to do, as rational adults, is say NO! We've always had crazy people like this in our society. The only difference is the way these claims and assertions are being handled by decision makers. Just ignore them and the 'harm' they do is negligible.

I am one that will not ignore them. these uncalled for lies and slams into innocent people are part of a repeating pattern, all because people do as you suggest, ignore it! But if people put their foot down and sued, it would likely end it all.

It would be my passion to meet up with this pontificating leftist liar in a dark alley
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 23:04
    @Duchess64 - None of the white writers here has any experience of being a non-white student
    attempting to learn Shakespeare while surrounded by white students.

Are you suggesting "separate but equal" in our schools again?
    I am pretty sure white parents would prefer their children to learn Shakespeare,
    not Snoop Dog, Lill Wayne, and Tupac Shakur.
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 23:08
    @wildgrass said
    @Earl-of-Trumps

Can we agree that cancel culture is not just a liberal thing?

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article249156670.html
    We can agree.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 00:401 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 08:413 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You are the only one in this thread insecure enough to want to appeal to anyone, ergo your perpetual use of the term ‘please note’ as a direct appeal to some non existent objective arbiter, and once again your innate and deeply held racism has derailed what could have been a half decent discussion . Well done duchess.
    What in earth has BLM got to do with this discussion? Is textdisrupter an off shoot of BLM? I assumed they were a bunch of sadly jealous pseudo intellectuals, hence your support for them.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 09:10
    @Duchess64 - teachers should take into account the Western Canon's historical
    associations with white supremacy

That's hate speech. WE should do no such thing, bigoted one.
    We take into consideration that 2 and 2 is four. don't make a damn bit of difference your skin color.

Why do you hate white people so much??

And why do you view it as a crime when white people pride themselves on their
    superior societal accomplishments

In 1969, 52 years ago, many white American men put several white American men on the moon.

suck on that, as you explain why "superior" China has not managed to accomplish
    this yet. You hate us because we are better than you.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 11:13
    Nobody has ever heard of Chinua Achebe.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:27
    @shavixmir said
    I have. I have read Things Fall Apart, his seminal novel, one of the most important works of African literature. I have also read his critique of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which these days is frequently assigned to students reading Conrad's challenging and equivocal novel.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 13:30
    @shavixmir said
    you for got to raise the [sarcasm flag]
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 14:12
    @teinosuke said
    I have. I have read Things Fall Apart, his seminal novel, one of the most important works of African literature. I have also read his critique of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which these days is frequently assigned to students reading Conrad's challenging and equivocal novel.
    “ I have also read his critique of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which these days is frequently assigned to students reading Conrad's challenging and equivocal novel.”
    That’s exactly how it should be done. I haven’t read any Chinua Achebe but I shall endeavour to do so.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 15:52

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 15:54

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 15:55

15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 16:24
    Note duchess keeps hurling her fantasy of white fragility at me rather than engage in a reasonable and rational debate about how we can widen the cultural horizons of students of all ethnicities by being inclusive rather than exclusive. Literature is one of the better ways to demonstrate the common humanity of all races but only if the curriculum casts its net as wide as possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree